Reviews for Seeds of Panem
EStrunk chapter 13 . 3/25
As if Caribbean Islands weren't attractive enough.
This seems like it could be setting up a whole new story re the missing/wandering people.
EStrunk chapter 12 . 3/25
I guess that's one cure for global warming. Talk about a one-two punch. At least you were thorough. The idea of the re-exploration and excavation to be done, and Dio's interest in doing it, is fascinating.
EStrunk chapter 11 . 3/25
Short but horrible, including the chapter title. BTW - the other thing I was going to mention re your writing is your care re details, i.e. explaining how they got (or didn't get) camera footage and what happened to the camera or cameraman. The specifics re the descriptions are what are hardest to take.
EStrunk chapter 10 . 3/25
Wow, that was brutal. BTW - did you know that government subsidies to encourage more children are actually rarely effective? I'm assuming that was a Nazi Germany reference, although it certainly fits China's recent MO. The human wave bit was hideous. Two things I like about your writing - the variety of ways that info is given - interviews, farce news show, news reels, even the propaganda. Don't you think our society is too jaded for simplistic propaganda to work? Compare ads from 50 years ago to today. I guess we could go backwards, but I think the propo would take a different form now, not that it wouldn't be (isn't now) used. Dio's responses are definitely creepy.
EStrunk chapter 9 . 3/24
Is it wrong that my initial reaction was - that's so unfair to the Cubs! Esp. because I had just been cracking up that it had been 200 years since they went to the World Series. Interesting note that the Capitol drew the line at biological weapons, although they aren't ever mentioned. Didn't realize they had lines. BTW - my comment re being able to sleep at night was not re feeling guilty for your writing, more re being haunted by how very bad things in this world could get.
EStrunk chapter 8 . 3/23
I guess I should know more about Mecca. I didn't even think about that. Talk about stirring a hornets nest. The decapitation thing was horribly close to reality, as was the Uighers involvement in the whole thing. So - do you sleep at night after writing this?
EStrunk chapter 7 . 3/23
Don't think I ever had a college class that ended in a cliff-hanger - but that was brilliant. Can't wait to get more details. This chapter really made me think about what a true world war would be like. So many criss-crossing hostilities. So many ways things can go very wrong.
I love the interactions with Dio, esp. when Ned almost hit back hard and then stopped himself. Dio is just fascinating, as is their relationship.
EStrunk chapter 6 . 3/22
Had to google "thylacine." So that is a real animal - sounded more like an amino acid to me. Loved the general who gave himself medals. Fascinating to make the Falkland Islands the flashpoint - no more obscure than Sarajevo. I love Jen (although I did wonder if global warming somehow hurt the supply of hair dye). I also love the quick nods back to Dio's backstory/mystery.
EStrunk chapter 5 . 3/22
Was the parallel between the micro and the macro purposeful? You did an amazing job showing that the callousness was actually pretty rational. The mob incitement scenes were very believable. At least you didn't have any active persecution of the mutt food and what a creepy term. The hypocrisy of each of the nations was a realistic touch too.
EStrunk chapter 4 . 3/21
I've never really thought about why California doesn't seem to be a district. Scary. The survivalists were close enough to reality to be chilling.
EStrunk chapter 3 . 3/18
I loved the "Weekly Yellow Journal," both the name and the use of a snarky/sarcastic news provider to add spice to the history. The 1984 references were good - they came off as possible names, esp. since the second one wasn't officially the alliance's name. Fun bit near the end re hoverboards, although I can add another group that would object to them - the commie terrorists' mothers.
EStrunk chapter 2 . 3/18
First off - the history stuff - fascinating to think about what a warmer climate would do for Canada. I like the names you've created. They seem very plausible. The concerns re shipping routes, sovereignty and communication with outlying areas were all both interesting and possible later history/plot issues. As to the personal interactions, I'm very glad that you're including some present-day drama to move the story. The history is interesting but not enough on it's own. Suetonius is great. His argument with Paylor was awesome - I just wish she'd come back at him a big harder. She can't be a wimp. I enjoyed watching your protagonist, and some of his classmates, stand up for Dio, strange guy that he is.
EStrunk chapter 1 . 3/15
First off, I love the premise here - that after everything in MJ is over they are now studying what happened. I do hope it doesn't get too political, i.e. global warming or not, although that does fit with the scenario in the books. I had a fangirl moment over the idea of a Korean unification war, just because I have a bit of an obsession with North/South Korea and how they could be reunified. A war is horribly possible. The shift in scale is fascinating too. Given how incredibly small Dist. 12 seems to be it does seem that Panem is much, much smaller, population-wise, than the U.S. was. Looking forward to watching you fill in the rather large blank.
Gamemaker John chapter 1 . 1/3
Awesome intro! I can't wait to read more.
T.j.98 chapter 14 . 11/26/2013
A really in depth story, it was as dramatic as it was literarily addictive.

It shows how humanity almost became the tool of its own destruction. It shows how despite the fact that the Mandate was willing to nuke civilian targets (including the holy city of a major world religion), the last world war was a case of Dark Grey vs. Oblivion Black morality. While the UAF and allies evacuated Korea and protected japan, they also nuked major Mandate cities and lynched refuges.

Especially touching was how the UAF soldiers who temporarily survived the neutron bomb, knowing the,radiation would kill them in a few days, made it their suicide mission to not only take down as many enemy's as possible, but to buy the evacuation some time. This was one of two moments where humanity's inherent inclination towards good shines through; the other being the President choosing to stay in quarantine with the others.

The Mandate proved sore losers, using all 8000 nukes to bring down their enemies in a last ditch effort. The retaliation of the others meant that an ice age ravaged the weakened earth, leaving only losers in that conflict.

But no matter where I read it, it's always an especially sad theme when humanity falls from a past grandeur of which it has yet to recover. (Or in especially depressing cases, can never recover.) It may be possibly based on real life, as human civilization as a whole tends to follow a cycle of birth, growth, grandeur, decline, death, and eventual rebirth.

All in all, this is one of your best (so far). It manages to take a history lecture and dramatize and explore deep thoughts on human nature and its follies. Keep writing stories, your talent is without question. I will continue to read your unfinished stories as you update them.