Reviews for Seeds of Panem
Fiction lover14 chapter 14 . 2/22
While a tad on the dry side, I think this story is pretty amazing. The level of thought that went into creating a false future seen as the past by denizens of the future is impressive. I love the idea of the volcanoes, but I wonder how the oceans would recover from the acidification? They are already suffering now from pollution and volcanic ash would only exacerbate the problem. Thus I think the islands would be struggling more than they were towards the end of the narrative. It also makes me wonder if the oceans around District Four were restocked using the Society's genetic samples. But overall this gave a matter-of-fact, but still very interesting look at what came before, in which history sadly repeated itself as it so often does. I enjoyed it!
werd chapter 1 . 11/26/2015
wonder what do district one do,do they only make luxury items or other things astronomy maybe
some chemical weapons one of the careers did have a poison object
Aquaqua chapter 14 . 11/13/2015
Um...I really liked your story, and I was wondering if I could do an audio recording of your story? It won't be anything fancy (I'm awful at editing) but I'd greatly appreciate the voice-acting practice! I love the way you interpret the characters, and I'd like to try out their voices!

Thank you for your time! :)
SkyeBird128 chapter 14 . 3/9/2015
It was a bit dry, yes, but hey, I came here looking for some raw history and that's what I got. Excellent story.
SkyeBird128 chapter 7 . 3/9/2015
Ah. Mecca, yes?
SkyeBird128 chapter 1 . 3/8/2015
I've been looking for a story like this for ages. This is very well written and intriguing.
SFCBruce chapter 4 . 1/11/2015
So, the Society for the Preservation of Civilization, with the motto of "Panis pro Cras," appears to form the embryo of what will eventually become the Nation of Panem, complete with the 13 Sectors that will eventually evolve into the Districts that we all know and love. I'm looking forward to seeing the evolution of Panem!
SFCBruce chapter 1 . 1/9/2015
So, I decided to check out your work here and what first caught my eye was this pre-Panem fic, told from the perspective of a history student in modern post-Rebellion Panem. As I am writing my own "catastrophes" fic I thought I would check yours out and see the similarities and differences in our two stories. Liking the start and I will be sure to read more!

"Just do not call me Sue." Classic :-)
PKAlways chapter 14 . 1/5/2015
I liked the story ... esp forming of various unions due to lack of resources. I always assumed some kind of nuclear war would wipe the majority of the human species. And I do believe that there were other nations besides Panem, Ms. Collins just didn't dwell on it. Anyways nice narration. Just one doubt ... when did the preservation facilities close down? After the nuclear attack on America or after the volcanic eruptions? May be I missed that part while reading.
PKAlways chapter 2 . 1/1/2015
Just started reading this fic ... and it looks promising.
maddogpkcgmail chapter 1 . 7/29/2014
Did a great job. Always wondered what happened to the U.S. before panem.
ColMikeFuser chapter 14 . 5/17/2014
That was a lot of writing.

However, if I had Paylor's problem set, methinks my focus would be on the preservationists.

How did a Society for the Preservation of Civilization, manage to reconstruct a faux-Roman Empire, worthy of "A Canticle for Leibowitz", and reamed, to the teeth, with nukes? Were they smoking methamphetamine down in those caves, or what? That's the story that really matters here...how NOT to become bloodthirsty barbarians while pretending to be civilized.

I do suppose, sir, if you wish to tackle that question, that we may get yet another enjoyable story from you.

"What that Aprille with shoures sote,
The droghte of March hath percent to the rote,
And Bathed every veyne in swich liquer,
Of which Vertu, engendred is the fleur"

My ass is freezing and it's May, not March. There was a gynormous sunspot outbreak that warmed things up, 2 years ago. This year, the pack ice is damned slow to melt. Grumphfft spergl.

Cheers, if yer drinkin'
ColMikeFuser chapter 11 . 5/17/2014
Aha! Your protagonist has transformed himself from spectator to participant!

Well played.

For future reference, a neutron warhead does have a jacket. The first H-Bombs used a depleted uranium jacket. Which didn’t reflect neutrons. Actually it soaked them up, turning uranium atoms into plutonium atoms. The plutonium atoms underwent a fission reaction, while the tritium continued having a fusion reaction. The Enhanced Radiation Warhead, aka Neutron Bomb, has a casing made of neodymium, which when it absorbs neutrons, emits gamma radiation. It is believed that the US demonstrated a further refinement of this concept in 1987 to Soviet observers at the Nevada Test Site. The 1987 demonstration, showed that a precision machined cylinder of neodymium, when cut to an exact multiple of a wavelength, then irradiated with neutrons from a fusion bomb, produced a burst of coherent gamma rays. This gamma ray laser, although not officially announced, is the deadliest radiation weapon ever built, because it is a directed-energy weapon. The writer for Wikipedia is mistaken. Neodymium casings are the key to neutron bombs.
ColMikeFuser chapter 5 . 5/17/2014
What happened to the Uglu Oilfield? Presently known as Naval Petroleum Reserve Number Three, the Uglu is the largest pool of hydrocarbons on Earth. The Alaskan tundra on which it rests, keeps the oil cooled below its pour-point temperature. Melting of the tundra permafrost will cause a catastrophic outflow of oil into the Arctic Ocean.

Didn't anybody notice?
ColMikeFuser chapter 3 . 5/17/2014
At least the narrator is not named Winston Smith...so perhaps he will retain both elbows in working order? Ah, a reader can dream...