Reviews for Come Rain or Come Shine
TrisMellarkHerondale chapter 27 . 5/18
Mmm, okay. I just wanted to tell you something but I don't know how so I'll just tell you the truth. The three fics that you wrote changed my life. I don't know how or why but they did. I cried and didn't know what to do with my life because I finished your version of this trilogy. I think it affected me a lot worse than when I finished the real series. Every time I write, I ask myself (I'm not kidding): "How would AC write it?" I just wanted you to know that you have a beautiful talent, that you are an amazing writer. I hope that when you post your books, you remember the fanfic readers. I just wanted to say that you are amazing (I think I mentioned it before but neh) and that I laughed a lot with your Author Notes. Please, never forget Fanfiction because (at least me) we won't forget you. Never stop writing because you can change someone and how thay see the world. I don't know what Fanfiction would do without you.
Lots of love, Always,
TMH
IS FINNICK GOING TO DIE
nycmontana chapter 27 . 4/16
Um hi, so wow that was amazing! The whole "series" was perfect! And I honestly thought it was a TON better than the actual series. Thatnk you so much for writing this and I hope your book is coming along wonderfully!
Thanks for you writing,
nycmontana
Dr. Catherine Potter chapter 27 . 4/5
AC,
I LOVED THIS STORY. I believe it was better than the original, which admittedly, while awesome had some flaws. I started this trilogy yesterday and finished it today. My love for your writing, for you way with words, the character development you created, brought me to tears (more than once) and made me laugh in giggle like there was nothing wrong in the world. Your references to other fandoms made me joyous. I normally stick to the HP fandom, purely because those characters are the ones in my head shaping my decisions but you stories have inspired me to reread the Hunger Games and continue to read more HG fanfics (only PK!).

With Greatest Admiration,
Catherine

P.S. It's nice to now that I'm not the only one who has conversations with the characters!
tlyxor1 chapter 27 . 3/22
Enjoyed. Thanks for writing. -t.
Serdd chapter 27 . 2/26
Hi AC,

I know that you finished this series a while ago, but I just found and finished it, and I have to tell you, for the most part; it was AMAZING! I've read a lot of fanfic for a lot of years now, and I just have to say how wonderful your writing style and characterizations are. I literally in-hailed your stories in only 3 days. I simply couldn't put them down! You are incredibly talented.

I also have to say that your writing is quite brave. You were right when you said that Susan largely skipped over Peeta's trauma and, thus, recovery. I thought that you approached and covered his experiences and the fall-out from them remarkably. It was honestly and delicately done. Brilliant work. (You had me in tears from the end of My Last Breath to chapter 26 of Come Rain or Come Shine).

The only thing that I was not a fan of, to put it lightly, was the epilogue of Come Rain or Come Shine. I apologize if the following is a bit harsh, but I'm really quite furious right now. The last chapter of CRoCS in truth, disgusted me. I was, and still am, so angry with the direction you took it, that, in all honesty, I couldn't finish it. I had to put it down.

I hate what you did to Katniss at the end. What you turned her into. From the very first page of 'Someone To Watch Over Me', we get this amazing, strong, feminine Katniss. You wrote her brilliantly. And the relationship between her and Peeta, well, it's why I couldn't put the books down. All through your series she's strong, and capable, and amazing. I loved watching her change and grow through your version of the books. Your character arch’s, in my opinion, in a lot of ways, were so much more authentic than Susan's. But then we get to, I believe it was around chapter 22 of CRoCS. And it seems that, overnight, there’s been a character change.

Where the hell did badass Katniss go?

You're right, after she's had the baby, her priorities will have undergone a major shift, and they did. But that doesn't mean she all of a sudden loses her backbone! Where's her fire?! I understand that Peeta has had a major breakthrough in his recovery, but, FUCK! so has Katniss! She broke too! And she picked herself back up! She's stronger too!

You have her written as though, now that she's had the baby, she practically bows to Peeta! It's almost as though, instead of making her stronger for her trials, she's become weaker of spirit. Your Katniss from book one or two would never have let Peeta and Haymitch make the plan without her.

I hated how, instead of having two strong badasses standing together against the world; you had Peeta standing strong and tall, with Katniss standing behind him. Don't know what I mean? Three words: Snow's Chess Match. All you needed to do was have a line somewhere along the lines of; "The King is important, but the Queen is the most dangerous and valuable piece on the board." Or something to that effect, to show Peeta and Katniss as equals. But you made her a pawn.

All of a sudden, you turned what was 'her story', then 'their story', into 'his story'. Snow no linger saw her as a threat? SHE. WAS. THE MOCKINGJAY. Not Peeta. The rebellion was given traction because of her. She was the spark, the face of it. The rebellion was, for the most part because of her. I mean, there had been dissension for 74 years, but then Katniss comes along, and BOOM! "If she can do it, we can do it!". Rebellion.

It wasn't their love story that gave the rebels hope, it was her berries. It wasn't their hand holding or kisses that showed up the capital, it was her lullaby for Rue, her apology to District 11. While, yes, Katniss and Peeta's relationship did work as a slap in the face to the Games, it was Katniss who was the bigger threat. The people loved her, followed her. It's as Peeta kept saying; "She has no idea the effect she has."

So why, WHY! Would Snow no longer see her as a threat? Because he knew Peeta? Because he had tortured him? Or because Snow already knew that he was going to die, and was more concerned with taking Peeta with him, who had escaped his dungeons, rather than the Girl on Fire who was ultimately responsible for his down fall... I don't understand.

Now, as frustrating as I found all of that, the worst, the absolute worst, was the very end…As I said earlier, I couldn't finish it I was so disgusted. At the end, you have Peeta called up to give the memorial speech. Why? Seriously, stop and consider. Why? As far as the rebellion and the people of Panem were concerned, Katniss was the Mockingjay. Not Peeta. Yes he was important, but why, at the end, was he suddenly more recognizable and known than Katniss?

It was Katniss’s Mockingjay symbol and it was her tribute to Rue. It was her stubbornness, her strength, and her character that incited a nation. It was her presence that gave the wounded hope. Her strength and determination that encouraged others to fight on (at least in the source material). Not Peeta. As far as Panem was concerned, Peeta was being tortured in the Capital while Katniss continued to fight. I mean, fuck, look at the propos; Peeta never made one. Peeta was, in fact, only seen once fighting for the rebellion, and even that was during the capitol siege, so weather or not anyone actually saw it is iffy. Why then, how even, is Peeta considered more of a leader for the rebellion than Katniss? The Speech should have come from her. It would have made more sense, and meant more.

Panem knew Peeta as Katniss’s other half. Not the other way around. I believe that all of Panem respected and loved Peeta. But I don’t think it would have been to the same extent as Katniss. She beat the Hunger Games by forcing two victors, she survived the Quarter Quell and lost her husband, and she fought and stood for a rebellion while pregnant in an ‘enemy’ camp.

The speech should have come from Katniss. It should have come from her. Yes, Peeta went through a lot, and grew as a character, but so did she. Or at least, she should have. Peeta knew about love and the strength of it, the strength it gave, all along. It was Katniss’s journey from closed off; ‘never marry, no kids’ girl, to strong; ‘embrace life, embrace love’ survivor.

You killed your character. Stone dead. As soon as you made her a mother, you started portraying her as weak, or at least second to Peeta. You made her a mother, and then you took away her fire. You turned her into a follower, when in fact her character and experiences should have made her a leader. A lioness. Hell, the only ‘Katniss’ type thing she did the whole end of the book was save Rye.

Really, I can’t tell you how fundamentally disappointed I am in how you decided to end this wonderful series. Your writing was amazing. The imagery and dialogue, spot on. When I started reading, I can’t tell you how frigging excited I was that someone was FINALLY going to do a re-write with Peeta and Katniss as strong, badass, equals. …I’m sorry, I’m just having a hard time getting over it.

I would wonder, if you were to go back and look at it now…would you change it? A few years distance? A few years growth… *shrugs* Maybe looking at it again, with new eyes, you’d see what I mean.

I’m sorry that this is so long, but I desperately needed to get this off of my chest. So many authors, both published and independent alike, have a hard time writing a true heroine. Someone strong and fierce, stubborn and courageous, all while still being feminine and relatable. You were close, so, so close. I was so in love with your portrayal. I think you just kind of…lost your character at the end. And rather than find her again, you focused on the easier driver.

I don’t mean to be harsh, I really don’t. I just really wanted to bring my thoughts to your attention, in the hopes that, when you publish your own work someday, (And I have absolutely No Doubt that you will, you’re far too talented not too) that when you go to write your own kickass heroine, you don’t fall into the same trap.

For writing a continually strong women, remember: “You think I’m dangerous now? You should see me when I’m protecting what’s mine.” And for warrior mothers: “Nothing is scarier, nor more dangerous, than a mother protecting her young.” (You portrayed that so very, very well in My Last Breath with the fight between Katniss & Cashmere).

Thank you for writing. I will be re-reading Someone To Watch Over Me and My Last Breath for years to come. Best of luck on all of your continued writings.

Good things,
Serdd.
tigerlily0909 chapter 27 . 2/20
There were many things I wanted to say as I read all three of your HG rewrites in the span of the day. I want to tell you that I liked it better than the original, that it gave me butterflies, that I have only the highest hopes for your future writings. But the truth is I don't normally leave reviews so I don't really know how to say all that. Consider yourself honored. :) I'm sad that I will never hear more from you in this fandom, but support your decision to continue writing whatever inspires you. I have no doubt it will be as beautiful as this story has been. XOXO Thanks for the adventure!
-Tigerlily0909
I seriously think it would've been even more amazing if Katniss had retrieved the confession of love she wrote for Peeta and could've showed it to him while he was recovering... missing those fluffy moments. ANYWHOO Is it weird that im reading this while series twice? I already read it in order and I just reread it in order and im almost done. just cant get enough
lalaloopsydolli3 chapter 25 . 2/1
I caught the Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Quote from George ;). Yes wonderful Rye, you are very holey lol
Abi117 chapter 27 . 1/30
Ok, I have to admit it, I cried a lot while I was reading the story. It was so beautiful! I loved every chapter and the journey Katniss and Peeta, as individuals and as a couple. And all the plot, the characters' development, the changes you made and your writing, it's amazing. I have no words to express how much I enjoy reading your fanfics and I really hope you achieve success with your trilogy. I will have to search for a new trilogy with the clues you gave us hahaha. I'm kind of sad this is over and you left fanfiction but I really happy I found this amazing fanfics. The best fanfics of the Hunger Games I've ever read!
SeaweedGirl1607 chapter 27 . 1/27
Best. Hunger Games. Fanfic. Ever.
Seriously! I love love love the way you portray katniss and peeta, love how you added maya(awesome idea btw) and rye and dr Riley and everyone! Awesome read, totally recommend it.
NotMyBabies chapter 27 . 1/26
Ughhh so beautiful! Omg I read these three stories so fast! Couldn't get enough. The ending chess game with so was brill. The change in dynamic between Katniss and Peeta was brill. Everything was amzing.
Lady Viola Delesseps chapter 2 . 1/22
IS THIS WEIRD? When I went to see Mockingjay and there's the scene where Katniss is looking over the ruins of 12- that little dog? Anybody else see it? I THOUGHT OF MAYA!
SeleneAherne chapter 27 . 1/20
Amazing. I love your series... And it seems so much more believable lol
Aquasira chapter 27 . 1/19
All three of your fanfic novels were brilliantly written and thoroughly enjoyable. Keep writing because you rock at it!
2,038 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »