Reviews for Thou Which Art But Air
Guest chapter 11 . 1/13/2014
Wow simply...phenomenal
jjhatter chapter 11 . 12/26/2013
Heartbreaking.

...My reviews are usually much longer than this.

Rating: 20/10

Sincerely yours,
J.
Guest chapter 11 . 12/4/2013
Okay, okay! I'll come out! I'm sorry, I meant to review earlier, but I kind of...forgot. There weren't any authors' notes to jolt me out of my reverie(except on the first and last chapter), so I...yeah. But anyway, thank you SO much for taking the time to post this story! It amazed me, and I can't think of a single thing that could have possibly made it better!
WryGrin chapter 11 . 9/12/2013
That was really, really good... and I never say that.
I teared up a little... and I never do that.

You've done well here, DEFINITELY keep writing - for fan fiction and anything else you feel like writing. We need more good authors, whatever the genre.

Cheers.
Viviane Renard chapter 11 . 9/6/2013
Brilliant ending to a brilliant story. And I like the name change to the title too. :)

I'm so happy that, in the end, they were able to reconcile and make Picard's final years one big chain of adventures. Q still has his quirky sense of humor and Picard his insatiable scientific curiosity, but they've learned how to make these traits compliment instead of clash. I like how Picard described their fights in Chapter 10: their argument once had a solid foundation, but they had been bickering for so many years that, at that point, they were aiming empty but harmful jabs at each other. I'm so glad they didn't end on that bitter note, but moved on to have their grand adventures.

I like the ending too. It has a sad tone as Q thinks of Picard dying, but Picard lightens the mood by repeating one of Q's old quips. And the hand touch made me go "awww." It really showed how close and comfortable they had become with each other, like two old men who play chess together in the park every day. (And it's funny in a sweet way to see a mere mortal try to comfort a demi-god).

Thank you for writing such a delightful story! You've spoiled me...I'm going to compare any other Picard and Q stories I read to yours. You're tough competition to beat.

Keep up the amazing work!
Guest chapter 11 . 8/30/2013
I don't know how to review well, but here goes:
That was spectacular! I have come across few fanfictions I never want to end and this marks at the top. Great writing, great voice, and great job with keeping with the original characters and still developing them well. Loved it!
Heather Head chapter 11 . 8/18/2013
Wow! This is really, really good. Grabbed me from the start and pulled me along. I'm not even a trekkie-though I am familiar enough with the characters to feel you've captured Picard quite nicely. Really love this. You are extraordinarily talented, and I hope to read more from you. Thanks for sharing this with me.
Minecraft Guardiansaiyan chapter 11 . 8/12/2013
Poor Q...poor Picard...

Great story!
Alara Rogers chapter 11 . 8/7/2013
This was an awesome story, and I was on tenterhooks waiting for the next chapter for almost the whole thing. I'd read and enjoyed the original, but I'm enough of a slut for angst that this version, with Q responding to Jean-Luc's constant pushing him away with hurt and bitterness and the whole thing repeatedly spiraling almost out of control, really had me on the edge of my seat wondering how they would ever get back from that. At first it didn't even look as if Picard was interested in reconciling after Q sent him an apology, and then when he was interested in it, Q wasn't... and I found the idea of Q essentially going to the Q equivalent of a monastery to spend some time in meditation and cleansing himself of his painful emotions really strangely appealing, especially since the "monastery" is apparently the fundamental understructure of the universe and the "meditation" is apparently immersion in and support of the flow of reality.

However... I have to say the last two chapters disappointed me. Chapter 10 was working very well... up to the point where Q basically agreed to take Picard's olive branch. And then it was just... rushed. After all this lengthy buildup, all the detail spent on their bitterness toward each other and the way they kept hurting each other, to have the payoff be something we're more told than shown really felt wrong. And then Chapter 11 brings in this idea that the Continuum consider Q an addict, which makes sense but was never previously telegraphed in any of the interactions between Q and his fellows that you showed, so it sort of came out of nowhere, and it feels really ominous because the Continuum are capable of doing shit like killing their own for spending too much time around humans, and also because when your friend or your son are addicts you take away their drug and destroy it. It's looming and scary and there's no setup for it and Q seems simultaneously angry with himself that he pushed it to the point where he got caught and yet strangely cavalier that it's all going to work out somehow, and there's no clarity from his narration as to what this really means for either his future or Picard's.

After you've spent so long on this thing I am sure this is the last thing you want to hear, but I think it needs another chapter's worth of material, at least. For the reconciliation in Chapter 10, we need to *see* it. What we get is third person narration of what happened in the past, after it happened, but everything else we were shown in real time. It's not like I don't think it's a good idea to compact down the whole story of the future they have, where Q keeps taking Picard places; just like Picard's exploration with Prospero at first, that does need to be a montage, basically. But that first trip back to the Delta Pine? We need to see it. And we need to see Q's actual agreement in Chp. 10, not have a sudden scene change where it's the future and we're being told how that whole thing worked out.

And for Chapter 11... if you want to go in the direction of "the Continuum considers Q's obsession an addiction", I think you need to backfill some setup. The Q who keeps taunting Q and pushing him at Picard... what's his deal? If this is an addiction, then what's he, a fellow addict trying to keep his friend down in the throes of addiction with him? An enabler? Someone who is actually trying to subtly destroy Q? And what does it mean that the Q think Q is addicted to his interaction with Picard? Q says "yeah yeah, they're gonna assign me a case worker when they get around to it" but we're in his POV so we have no perspective whatsoever as to whether he might be in denial, whether in fact he or Picard are in deadly danger and he's trying to pretend it's not going to happen or if in fact he's perfectly sincere and the Q really aren't going to get around to dealing with his problems until after Picard dies. It's a really interesting idea, but because there's no setup and no payoff, it feels like it was tacked on to make what should have been a bittersweet happy ending (bittersweet in that there's no evidence Picard is going to let Q keep him alive, but at least they have right now) something shadowed, with a darkness lurking over it besides the certainty of Picard's eventual death if he never lets Q save him.

I don't want you to mistake me, I wouldn't have dedicated this much wordage to explaining my issues with the last two chapters if I hadn't loved the rest of the story so much. And it's not that I dislike the direction you took it in so much as that you rushed it. I think you could probably make it approximately perfect with another chapter of material and some backfill on the addiction thing, like I said.
IcyKali chapter 11 . 8/6/2013
I think this should be required reading for any fanfiction author who wants to write Q. Actually, more than that-I think this is one of the best fanfics about a relationship ever! The ending rather shocked me, but I think it's appropriate now that I think about it. I think the Continuum's response to Q's "illness" was perfect, and I don't think a a lot of authors would think it through enough to choose it.

This story is an inspiration.
Viviane Renard chapter 9 . 8/5/2013
I'm so happy for an update! But at the same time, I'm getting nervous-Picard doesn't have much time left, and if he and Q are going to end on good terms (which it seems like Picard is trying to do), Q is going to have to meet him halfway there. It would be even better if Q let Picard tag along in space exploration, but I'm not sure Q's pride will bend that far.

This is one of my favorite stories. I can't wait to see what you write next!
murderousfiligree chapter 8 . 7/9/2013
I'm not crying there's just Star Trek in my eye
Guest chapter 8 . 7/1/2013
i absolutly love this story! and we finally get to see our two stubborn boys talk! how exciting!
Alara Rogers chapter 8 . 6/6/2013
Q thinks Picard is trying to commit suicide, doesn't he?

It's the only explanation I can think of. It's not spelled out and maybe Picard himself doesn't know what he's up to, but an old man is 32 weeks away from home, with no one else aboard his ship? Picard doesn't plan to come back. And Q didn't give him the ship to go get himself killed with.
IcyKali chapter 8 . 6/6/2013
You know, for this entire story, I've felt like I knew precisely what was meant and what was going on. But now, I have no idea what game Q is playing. Is he enraged that Picard dreamt about him? I think I'll refrain from writing an in-depth review until next time.

And no, I wouldn't call it mind-reading. I mean, in the dream state people have a parallel set of memories ot their waking life, and the "real" world is every singular individual's perception anyway. And Q only appeared in the last dream, right? Again, not sure what is going on.
61 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »