Reviews for Thou Which Art But Air
writerofprose chapter 8 . 6/5/2013
Vivian - Yes, I think Q came in halfway through the dream. As for the title, I have this real problem with titles in that I like ironic ones. It's a light line from the show where Q asks Picard "Pals?" - from True Q, I'm sure you remember - and so this is taking that question deeper than even Q intended. BUT who knows; I may change it yet.

Guest (Insert Name Here) - As you pointed out, I only intended that Q appear in Picard's last dream, not the other ones. Although feel free to interpret that however you like. I guess the next section will make it more clear. :)
Insert Name Here chapter 8 . 6/5/2013
So glad you updated! This really is an excellent story! I think that Q appearing in Picard's dream could just be another one of his powers. I mean the last dream where Q told Jean-Luc to wake up, which was non-canon for the dreamscape. As for the other dreams, I thought that meant Picard missed Q even if only subconsciously. I can't wait to find out what's next! Hope you update again soon!
Viviane Renard chapter 8 . 6/4/2013
I loved this chapter! It does a great job of covering a large span of time, of Picard slowly learning to accept Q's gifts, and then learning how to incorporate them into his life. I love the idea of him exploring in his old age, of letting nothing hold him back from fulfilling his insatiable curiosity to learn.

This line does indeed describe the perfect mission for Picard: "One night he had a dream Q had made him captain of the Enterprise again, had created a mission tailor-fit for him, something vaguely related to archeology and diplomacy."

As for Picard's last dream...I like to think that the combat scenario is Picard's subconscious trying to warn him, and that Q's initial role in the dream was completely from Picard's subconscious (after all, Picard has had other dreams about Q), but then Q probably did some of his magic mojo to incorporate the real him into that last line of "Wake up." Q does enjoy dramatic flair.

I can't wait to see how you wrap up this story! I do hope that Q and Picard are able to reconcile. But it really could go either way...they've had a lot of time to learn to forgive (if not quite forget), but they both are very prideful and stubborn.

I almost feel like you should change the title at this point... "Pals?" gets the meaning across, but this story is so amazing and (for the most part) serious, that I feel like it should have an equally amazing and serious title. Something with a dramatic flair that Q would like. Right now I'm fresh out of ideas, but maybe the ending will give shape to an idea.
Guest chapter 7 . 5/29/2013
You said to review, so here I am reviewing! This is a great story! I was startled when it got so dark, and I felt sorry for Q. It's not often or really ever that I thought Picard was being a total jerk, but you did it. Hope you update and/or finish soon because you have me hooked now!
Guest chapter 7 . 5/16/2013
o dear lord this is good! i cannot wait for the next amazing chapter!
WishfullyThinking chapter 7 . 5/13/2013
This is great! :'D

I am so glad I read this, cannot wait til' the next chapter. You're a great writer! Thanks for sending this to me.
writerofprose chapter 7 . 5/8/2013
Icy - That's a really good question. It's something I've thought of before, and ultimately... I hate the way VOY handled Q! Haha. So I'm rejecting that canon. No son, no love interest, etc, for Q.

I do love the idea of Q having a son, one day, but not how VOY handled it, with him propositioning Janeway. That's something I just don't buy. - strangely opinionated about Q

I liked Death Wish as an episode because I think the only contact Q would have with Voyager would be incidental, and Q's interest in Janeway would only exist in endless comparisons as to how she pales beside Picard.

Even if I accepted that Q would proposition a human female with whom to have a child? Vash. And how hot would that courtship be. Overall, however, there's just something weird about Q DNA and human DNA mixing (or whatever Q DNA is called). Also, you'll notice I sort of ignore the canon of Hide and Q and Deja Q for the same reason - that I don't think human and Q are as fluidly defined as that.
IcyKali chapter 1 . 5/8/2013
Hm... I was thinking more about this story, and I realized something kinda really important: how are you going to handle Q's attentions shifting to Janeway? And the fact that Q has a "wife" and "son?" Q says that he and Lady Q were in an on-and-off relationship for billions of years. What is she doing while all of this is happening?

I never really cared much for Lady Q and Q Jr. (?), but will you mention them?
IcyKali chapter 7 . 4/22/2013
I know I haven't reviewed this story before, but I'd just like to pop in and say that your characterization and writing is a hundred-times more accurate and meaningful than the Q novels, and that this is the best fanfiction about Q I have ever read, and almost definitely ever will read.

You don't take away Picard's hard-earned backbone, and you don't go overboard with Q's denial to the point of frustration on the reader's part. Your interior monologue is spot on, and I commend you for it.

I can't wait for more!
Viviane Renard chapter 7 . 4/22/2013
Believe me, there are no complaints coming from me for this story getting longer and longer. In fact, that makes me very happy because I truly do enjoy this story. Your writing is wonderful and characterization even more wonderful.

Q really botched up Picard's retirement party. Picard essentially extended him the olive branch, and Q just took it, snapped it in half, then crushed it into the ground. At least he felt bad about it after the fact, but I'm not sure anything Q does now will repair the damage done. I do like this statement that Q made:

"I did this for you. All of this, for you. Remember this when you tell them how cold and vindictive I am. If I really wanted you, Jean Luc, I could have had you."

It's true. Q could have manipulated Picard into traveling with him. Even now, he could go back and change the conversation at Picard's retirement party (instead of planning an elaborate apology). However, even if Q ignores the truth himself, he cares too much for Picard and respects him too much to manipulate his life so underhandedly. Any manipulation Q does always allows Picard to realize what is going on, and gives him at least something of a "choice." Q will change environments, other people, etc, but he won't alter Picard's mind. That's what makes their arguments so great. You have an omnipotent being who holds himself back, and an unafraid human who doesn't. The power balance should be so off-balance, yet this fact keeps them on almost level footing.

But even though I do like to see them argue, I hope those two thick-skulled ninnies make up. Quit moping and go have fun exploring the galaxy together!
mabb5 chapter 7 . 4/21/2013
This is quite possibly the best Q/JLP story that I've ever read. Absolutely brilliant character study. Spot on characterizations. Thoroughly believeable. Not to mention, extremely well written too. Please write more. And soon.
mabb5 chapter 2 . 4/21/2013
Very interesting story. I look forward to reading more. So, please write more.
Guest chapter 6 . 4/9/2013
Type your review for this chapter here...
Viviane Renard chapter 6 . 4/10/2013
I am so happy to see an update! This story is absolutely beautiful. I am astounded, as always, by the skill of your writing and caliber of your word selection. It's not often that you see words like "puerile," nowadays. As for the plot itself...the conversation between Q and Picard was absolutely electrifying. Their bad parting fifteen years ago, and the span of time in between, has changed the dynamics of their relationship. Part of them is still following the same old song and dance, yet there's new elements: Picard actually said he'd be willing to travel with Q, and Q and Picard both resorted to physical violence toward the end of this chapter. It's really up in the air, what will happen in the next chapter. But I can't wait to find out!

Also, there were so many fantastic lines in this chapter, but I'll simply point out this one because I love its poetic nature:

"It was not easy, fading away, but he was slowly coming to accept it, the move from power to powerlessness, from fame to obsolescence."
writerofprose chapter 5 . 4/4/2013
People. I feel terrible that the next chapter is so long in coming. I got sick for about a month there (allergies). It IS coming. It's really long, and also finicky, and excuses, excuses, blah blah. You are all wonderful.
61 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »