Reviews for The Charming Side Of Evil
Robin4 chapter 1 . 4/2
This is an utterly amazing character study for all three of these characters. I've read it repeatedly, but somehow never reviewed. It's absolutely fantastically perfect.
Aynessa chapter 1 . 2/22/2013
Expertly and flawlessly told. Beautiful and deep and touching and haunting and so many more descriptive words. I love this!
Clockwork Mockingbird chapter 1 . 1/23/2013
That was so wonderful and perfect. Charming did learn a lot about those two during the second season. He got to actually see them human and vulnerable. See why they are all sharp and barbs. I love your work. It's all amazing and I love you! Please continue to grace us with your masterpieces!
THIRTEENpointONE chapter 1 . 1/20/2013
This is such a fantastic take on Charming! I love how you've really gotten to the heart of James and his ability to really see the human side of the town's two "villains." I personally love the tentative friendship (if one can call it that) between Charming and Rumpel, so I really enjoyed your take on the two here. Thank you so much for sharing another fantastic story! I can't tell you enough how much I love your writing!
Grace5231973 chapter 1 . 1/20/2013
Interesting to hear James pov!
Silver E. Sparrow chapter 1 . 1/19/2013
Very well done my dear :) as always.
Hermitess chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
I do love the bond between Henry and Charming. You've actually made me feel sorry for Regina here and that almost never happens.
cat4444 chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
Very nicely written. I love these types of stories where we get a look inside the character's head
Katya Jade chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
Beautifully done. I love your insight into James's character.
Katla chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
That was awesome. I was so impressed with the depth with which you analyzed and described Regina, Rumplestiltskin, and James. I think you nailed it in each case and it was fantastic. Reading this reminded me of why I enjoy your writing so much! You always go so deep into the characters' minds and hearts and who they really are and what they really feel... and it all rings true. There's not a false or forced moment to be found. I absolutely loved this!

A few of my favorite moments:

"Evil isn't always one-dimensional or easy to interpret or simple to denounce. Sometimes, he has learned, evil is loneliness and grief and desperation. Sometimes it is objectiveness and neutrality and insane devotion to hidden goals. Sometimes it is good cloaked and masked in the shadows of misunderstandings and bad choices.

That is the lesson Storybrooke has taught him that he values most..."

That was perfect. The lesson of Storybrooke - that things are not what they appear. That evil is not simple and villains are not past hope. Wow!

"James cannot help but be proud of the boy, this young prince-in-training who wants to slay dragons and doesn't realize that he has already tamed monsters."

A fantastic description of Henry. He really is unique, isn't he? The only one who has ever been able to get to Regina's heart... apart from poor Daniel, of course.

"But James is not as dense as people would believe him to be, not as slow as his straightforwardness, his dislike of beating around bushes, lead others to believe."

Another perfect description.

And now, my favorite moment:

"There is horror and regret and such vast sadness that James thinks he has himself, for all his troubles, only tapped the lake of anguish Rumplestiltskin drowns under. It is there, and not there at the same time, emotion couched in impeccably pronounced words, in tone chosen by long habit. Slight deception betrayed by the urgency of the question, coolness belied by the heat simmering through his almost-accusation."

Wow. Perfect! And painful... and sad... and so horribly true. I love Rumplestiltskin so much and you portray him so beautifully, never shying away from the darkness within him, or from how dangerous he really is, but always painting him in his true colors. Because he's not just a villain or a coward or a master manipulator - he's a man who carries an enormous reservoir of pain with him. I loved James' thoughts about how dangerous a grief-stricken Dark One would be... it was truly frightening. And yet, James still acted from compassion instead of giving way to fear...

Well I could go on about how much I loved this, but this review is already too long. :p Just know that I enjoyed it more than I can express!

I'm so glad you posted this on this particular week! I've been so horribly heartbroken since "The Outsider" aired and this was a comfort lol. It was such a fantastic episode, and then the ending... I was devastated. I hope you're coping with this painful plot twist better than I am! (And hopefully writing lots of lovely Rumbelle fics that will help me recover. ;)) Thanks for the wonderful oneshot! And, as always, I look forward to whatever you post next. :)
Lattelady chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
Amazing story. I have always enjoyed the conversations between Mr. Gold and Charming. You have taken them much further and allowed us to see Gold's feelings. Beautifully written.
DCdreamer55 chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
Truly wonderful my darling, as always. An interesting look at Charmings view of things, which I really enjoyed. I also liked how you portrayed Regina.

Great story :D
Just 2 Dream of You chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
I love you as usual, and love the perspective of Charming during all this. Well done, my dear. You never cease to amaze me.
RockAndAHardPlace chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
That was absolutely beautiful! What a fascinating character exploration! Love the way you've explored the human sides of our favourite villains. :) thanks so much for this lovely story!
Anonymous Nerd Girl chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
So I made a freakishly high pitched SQUEE noise when I saw that you had posted a new story. And then I read it. Again, you have done an amazing job capturing the feelings of the characters. James was ideal as the narrator- in FTL there was good and evil, but he's learning that instead there is love or emptiness. You even managed to give me some sympathy for Regina, which does not happen frequently. But if David, one of her pet victims, can give her some understanding who am I to argue? I don't know how you managed to make this so poignantly Rumbelle with no Rum/Belle interaction, but you totally did. Hats off to you, AK