Reviews for If Things Were Different
Shrike176 chapter 52 . 5/26
Great chapter, worth the wait.

It is interesting to see Bates give his motive for not trying to end his marriage sooner. That part was always confusing to me; I could see him being resigned to never meeting anyone, but once he accepted his feelings for Anna, you'd think he would be trying to get divorced.

This version of Cora's pregnancy is a lot more captivating. The dichotomy of her feelings is great here, being thrilled but also terrified of what this will mean comes through very well. Her conversation with O'Brien was wonderful.

At this point I do have to wonder whether this news will be another delay in Tom and Sybil telling her parents.
gothamgirl28 chapter 52 . 5/21
AHHHH! I love the update! You really built up the emotional suspense in this chapter. I'm both dying to know what happens next and kind of scared at what will happen. I am curious how close to canon you will stick to as well. Great job as usual!
eyeon chapter 52 . 5/21
Welcome back! I am enjoying the reread! You really didn't miss a beat. I like the way Sybil and Tom are developing, that was probably the least satisfying relationship rollout on the show. Might Matthew not be the heir this time? I've always wanted to see how Lady Mary would fare as a member of the middle class (upper). Maybe Matthew would be an MP. I do hope there is not quite as much space before the next chapter!
Oh this update was wonderful! I'm so excited for all of the storylines that are being forshadowed here - the war, what happens with Cora's pregnancy, and Roberts reaction to Sybil and Tom's potential marriage. The secene at the end with Tom and Sybil was especially touching
Pink-Pencil-Girl303 chapter 52 . 5/19
OH MY GOODNESS YES I am so so happy that you've graced us with another chapter of this beautifully-woven, engaging, and thoughtful story. It's especially interesting to see how canon events are unfolding in your alternate Downton-verse, like Cora's pregnancy and the imminent threat of war. This chapter was so great but gah - you totally left me wanting more Mary/Matthew interaction! How does he feel about her "leaving him hanging" on the marriage proposal? I have a feeling that a storm is looming over Downton (in more ways than one) and soon it will all come down on their heads. Here's hoping that life allows you to update soon - I will be waiting with bated breath until then!
Camilla10 chapter 52 . 5/19
Glad you are updating but a little recap would have helped.
shana.rose chapter 52 . 5/19
First, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! I have missed this story 3 This was such a sweet chapter. I love how Tom was almost shy when he told Isobel about Sybil. And I'm so excited that Sybil made a connection for Med school! I'm so curious what you are doing to do with the pregnancy story.
eliphya chapter 52 . 5/19
Yay, reading this is the first thing I did after I woke up today. I'm so happy to be reading this story again.

I can already feel all the conflicts coming our way and I'm excited for all of them!
But I hope that through all of it Tom and Sybil will stick together. I assume Matthew and Mary will have the same argument they had in the series. And I'm unsure whether Edith's wedding will happen as planned. But I really wish that Tom and Sybil won't split in any way. I'm totally fine with arguments and heated discussion and being angry at each other but no split, please. The last scene with them together gives me hope for that. But well who knows what you have planned for us, I'm sure I'll love it either way.

I'm really looking forward to the next chapter. Don't stress about how long you take writing it and take your time.
Angel Bells chapter 52 . 5/18
You're alive!

Also, great chapter!
You cannot leave it there!
Lost Time Traveler chapter 52 . 5/18
Oh my gosh I love your story! So glad you updated! Can't wait to read more!
Awesome! Thank you for updating!
Yay...so happy you updated!
Lost Time Traveler chapter 8 . 3/14
The line about not bothering with 'lowly' Dukes but instead pursuing the sons of the King was GREAT! So funny. Love you story so far!
oh Mary and Matthew are so frustrating, each of them thinking that the other is too good for them! When oh when are they going to come to their senses! Great update, even though I was so very late to get to it. Hoping for more, when you have the time in your schedule!