Reviews for On Wings of Silver and Lead
spikala chapter 28 . 4/20/2013
I really enjoyed seeing the aftermath of the Geonosian arena through Wren’s eyes. It just flowed so well, and his matter of fact assessment of real, un-simulated warfare, “the real thing is nothing like the simulations. It’s a lot worse.”, was brutally honest.

He seems so torn to find that Fett is dead and his chance at revenge is gone. The last tether to his past as ARC-20 is gone, and I’m still divided as to whether or not this is a good or bad thing for Wren. He didn’t need that anger weighing him down, but I worry about where he’s going to go from here, as that anger and resentment was the only thing that kept him going during his training on Kamino.

Great to see that Mr I’m-Alpha-Eighty-Five-but-my-friends-call-me-Tully snuck back into the story. I’m curious, will he show up again? And what will he do when he finds out that he wasn’t concussed? Love that last line: “It was pointless to search for a dead man among the living.”
laloga chapter 27 . 4/16/2013
Not boring in the least! I really enjoyed meeting Shiv and Eda; it definitely feels like Ro is entering a new phase of her life, and I look forward to seeing how she fares at the other side of all this. Loved the idea that she's attending university, too, as it makes me think she's getting the broadest education possible, more so than a "normal" Jedi would have. It really feels like she's landed in the right place, and I'm happy for her. :)

I really enjoyed reading her impressions of Shiv and Eda in the Force - it was lovely, vivid and very well-done. Great job, too, with showing poor Ro thinking she'll never have what they have...though I have a feeling she's wrong about that. ;)

Loved her spunk and sass in dealing with Shiv! XD Of course, the fellow loved it, and it showed that she's more than able to handle herself. :)

Great chapter! I'm so excited to read what happens next!
spikala chapter 27 . 4/15/2013
The chapter isn't boring at all! I love reading about how Ro is carving out a new niche for herself. It was great to meet Eda and Shiv, their personalities came across so strongly and I look forward to seeing them in "Call of the Mockingbird". I have a feeling that although they are going to push Ro unmercifully during her training, they are going to be great mentors for her.
laloga chapter 26 . 4/15/2013
Sigh. Poor Thrush. The burden of command is a heavy one, no doubt, and I don't think he was ever able to shoulder it. Caring too much is one thing; letting that care affect how you make decisions is another. Good leaders are hard to find, or make, because they need to be able to walk that line between caring and making those tough calls.

Still, as sad as this chapter was to read, it was written exceptionally well. I was sucked right into the training exercise, like I was right there next to Wrench the whole time. Everything felt seamless: his thoughts on the exercise, on Thrush, on the other clones, and the descriptions of the exercise itself. The action was perfectly balanced with the emotion, and I'm so in awe of how you managed that.

And now he's "Wren." I really liked how he changed his name again, like how he's constantly trying to figure out *who* he is. It also shows the impact that Thrush had on him - mostly positive, it seemed. I loved how well he and Thrush were able to work together; it seemed like they really balanced each other out. :)

Wonderful, wonderful work. :D
Eregnar chapter 26 . 4/12/2013
Dammit! (Sorry) So many bits of songs going through my head... (I swear, I have an i-pod built into my brain that helps me deal with strong emotions) Only the good die young... Everyone I know goes away in the end... etc. etc. Poor Wren can't catch a kriffing break!

Sorry if my review made no sense.
spikala chapter 26 . 4/12/2013
... words fail me.

Between this and my stupid iTunes which, naturally, has thrown up the saddest song I own, I'm almost in tears. More than half of N/K-3 Company killed in a stupid stupid accident. Thrush gone, and by his own hand too, just to yank on my tear ducts even more. The company disbanded. Wrench gone along with yet another friend. All that is left is a trooper, scarred inside and out, called Wren.

You did a magnificent job writing this chapter, the bit about a fragment of Tak's skull lodged in Thrush's arm struck me as particularly poignant. It was short, and we never really saw it, but in the opening scene I got such a strong sense of the rapport that Thrush and Wrench were developing, a real feeling of just how good they could be if they'd had a bit more time together. To have all that snatched away is just heartbreaking. Great writing, but I just have to go and find a box of tissues and some chocolate now... :'(
Windpheonix chapter 26 . 4/12/2013
First paragraph made me smile, the rest of the chapter made me sad, really sad.

How did you you come up with the first paragraph? It really sounds like something the Kaminoans would think of in canon. Brilliant.

Other than that, poor, poor Wrench, Wren now. He really can not catch a break, and that when things started to look up.
Oh, Thrush, I guess this is what people mean when they say he is too kind for this world. I'm going to miss that guy.
laloga chapter 25 . 4/11/2013
Ahhh...[flails]! :D

Okay, deep breath. Ahem. Calming down now...

I love Thrush. Love him. He feels like the perfect foil to Wrench's abrasive attitude: witty, intelligent, kind, and doesn't take himself too seriously so he doesn't get bent out of shape when Wrench is...well, *Wrench.* :P I can't say enough how much I love the idea of him looking for help from an outside source because he wants to improve his men's lives - it takes a strong man to lead, and a strong leader to admit when he needs help doing so.

His conversation with Wrench was note-perfect, absolutely a delight to read. I hope that one day (maybe) Wrench and Thrush can be friends, or friendly, at least. They seem like they could get along. Loved the little details of observation that you included, like how Wrench noted Thrush's command insignia and snapped to attention (just enough to not get in trouble :P), and Thrush's subsequent dismissal of the normal protocol. Both men are independent thinkers, albeit with vastly different personalities and backgrounds.

Loved Wrench's continuing development as well. He's always been the black sheep, but he feels *slightly* more humble here, choosing to try and keep his head down when he can and just get by right now. Great touch with him refusing to even think in Mando'a because it's Fett's heritage. *He could do nothing about his genes, but being Mandalorian was one inheritance he could refuse.*

Wonderful chapter! :D
Guest chapter 24 . 4/10/2013
Sigh. Lovely, if sad. But not *too* sad...just bittersweet. Excellent job with the tone of this chapter; it could very easily have been maudlin or depressing, but you made it vibrant in a way, alive and breathing. I could clearly picture the marker stone and the trees, along with the bustling marketplace - and omg I loved how Ro was distracted by something shiny, the little magpie! XD

The holo-locket is a wonderful idea, and for some reason I loved the fact that it was "out of fashion" now. Loved how it called to Ro and she answered without knowing why; she just trusted that there was a reason, and there was. :)

Was it mentioned before that Gossinger was a Ranger? I can't remember, now. :P Anyway, I love the Rangers and was thrilled to see a mention of them here, and a Corellian one, no less! :D (I've a soft spot for Corellians) The "blba" tree confused me a bit - I thought there was a vowel missing - until I took a peek at the Wook and saw it was canon. :P

Wonderful chapter! :D
spikala chapter 25 . 4/9/2013
I'm very conflicted by this chapter. On the one hand, it is so wonderful to see Wrench starting to make friends, probably the first he's had since Asher, and find a place for himself. But then there's that pesky reminder on your profile page that says this is the second to last chapter - arrgghh! Noooo! I really hope that the Mockingbird stories will feature Wrench?

I loved this chapter. You managed to cram all these little details into the chapter that just brought it to life, things like Wrench having to adjust to the press of bodies, the other clone at the table shuffling away, and command clones being trainees just like the rest of them. You've a great eye for detail and it all felt so real.

After all of the pain and suffering that Wrench has gone through, it was so fantastic to see him with Thrush. His first thoughts on Thrush, "He had yet to meet a command clone who was not so full of himself and his rank that he wasn't shitting brass on every trip to the 'freshers", just sent me off into a fit of cackling. Love the irreverant, call it like it is, attitude! XD

I have to say, for all that Thrush has only just shown up, I like him. He's smart, slightly subversive, and compassionate. And he has the chops to call Wrench out on using his number. I think the two of them will do quite well together and I hope to see more of them in future.
Eregnar chapter 25 . 4/8/2013
Awww! This chapter made me happy too! Thrush seems like a nice guy!
Windpheonix chapter 25 . 4/8/2013
Oh Wrench :)
Glad that things are looking up for him.
I have a good feeling about Thrush, seems like a good guy.
Wrench really deserves that after all he has been through.

You did a lovely job with their conversation, especially Wrench's insult. Great work!
Eregnar chapter 24 . 4/5/2013
Awww. This was a sweet chapter. Very nice. Especially after how hard the last one was...
spikala chapter 24 . 4/5/2013
It was great to catch up with Ro. She seems to be much happier away from the restrictions of the Jedi Order. All her natural curiousity and exhuberance that she had as a child in the Temple has come back and it's really heartwarming to see, especially after the heartbreak of the previous chapter.

I liked that Ro visited her family's memorial marker. It felt right, like a reconnecting with the past even as she looks forward to a brighter future with the Altisian Jedi as an Investigator. Great to hear that Garett is also doing well with the Jedi, even if it's a bit bittersweet that the siblings no longer see each other. It sure sounds like Ro is more certain about herself, her abilities, and her future, and I can't help but hypothesise about how and when she is going to run into Wrench.

Lovely chapter to read and just like always, I finished it too soon :)
spikala chapter 23 . 4/5/2013
Wow. I was *really* not expecting that. You've managed to derail all my private theories about what might happen to Wrench, but I don't care because your version is so much more compelling for being unusual.

Wrench's breaking point, and his subsequent confrontation with Fett were just riveting and so visceral. I could almost feel how numbed, fatigued, and angry he was. Eight years of frustrations all wound up in a little ball then the tension released. The other commando never had a chance, and I think it's just as well that Fett wasn't alone because I reckon Wrench could've taken him down.

I don't know how well he's going to fit in with 'regular' clones. My instincts are telling me not so well, not with that guilt and the head-messing that Fett did, but I look forward to seeing how it'll pan out.

I find it interesting that he was actually reassigned rather than reconditioned or terminated. It's one of my personal prejudices that it's more time and cost efficient to keep clones alive rather than start from scratch, and it is really nice to see that view reflected to some extent in someone else's story :)

So Alpha ARC-20 is dead. I'm keen to see how CT-20-4371 does with D/B-7 Company.
90 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »