Reviews for On Wings of Silver and Lead
NefariousMoose chapter 17 . 7/2/2013
Oh wow! I can really relate with Ro during her first crush. Poor her... Tanib just wasn't interested in that way. Things really spiraled out of control- thankfully Adriav was there to ease the situation! I sure hope Tanib is okay...

Awesome chapter!
NefariousMoose chapter 16 . 6/24/2013
Oh my goodness... Wrench is really becoming an interesting character. I love how he's latched onto the idea of blind orders; he's not going to let himself be controlled by them. I was cheering him on through this whole chapter; awesome job! :D
NefariousMoose chapter 15 . 6/24/2013
It's been way too long since I've read this story, and its great to come back and catch up again.

This was a wonderful glimpse into Ro's life- she's really maturing, and she handles becoming apprenticed really well. I really like Sarika; she seems like the model Jedi Knight, and I think having Ro work with her will be a really good thing. :) They may not agree on everything, but I have feeling they're both going to be teaching each other some important lessons ahead.

Awesome chapter!
laloga chapter 30 . 5/13/2013
Sigh. I'm sad it's over, but I'm comforted by the knowledge that the sequel is up and running. :)

Wonderful note to end on! I was blown away by your descriptions of the ship; they were detailed and clear without being too jargon-y, and just really well-written. Love the rogue feel to the vessel as well, how she's an amalgamation of many different kinds of ships rather than one specific class. It was clear that Shiv put a lot of time and work into her, and was a delight to read.

Great job, also, tying in the ship with Ro - how she's also a misfit - and showing how the two of them will be able to accomplish some great things in the galaxy. I was sad to read that her conversation with Garett didn't go well, but times are hard right now, and a falling-out was probably inevitable. I hope they can patch things up, somewhere down the road.

Love Shiv's humor, especially with the ship's name. :P

This has been a wonderful story. Your characters breathe and stay with me long after I finish reading each chapter. I'm so excited to read what's in store for them, next. :)

Amazing work! :D
laloga chapter 29 . 5/13/2013
I love Garett. He feels like the ideal Jedi, but such a humanized one as well. He's skilled and patient, but he has doubts and questions, like anyone. I enjoyed seeing his reflections on the battle, especially his determination to make himself a better leader to those following his command.

Great job addressing his questions about the clone army with the greater problem that the Jedi face: there's a war going on, and they simply don't have time or resources to seek answers to those questions.

Loved the moment when Master Koth praised him as an equal, and recommended he be Knighted, but I *really* loved how Garett didn't think he was ready. It's the mark of a truly great warrior. While he's very much his own character, he reminds me of Obi-Wan in so many ways, which makes me love him even more. :)

Wonderful chapter!
spikala chapter 30 . 4/29/2013
So that’s why it’s called the Mockingbird series… Good to know.

And the story comes to an end… :’( Well, not really, but still. I’m going to miss seeing Wren, Garrett, and Ro growing up. Over the last 30 chapters you've not only introduced them all and made them into real people, but you've smuggled them inside my heart. I want to see them succeed in their lives and meet at long last. I shall look forward to May 13th and quake at the same time; now Ro has been unleashed on the galaxy! :D
Windpheonix chapter 30 . 4/26/2013
I'll have to remember that motto.
Lovely last chapter. I can't wait for the next, but of course exams are more important. Good luck!
Eregnar chapter 30 . 4/26/2013
Good ending :) I'm really liking Shiv (of course, I always love father-figures. And mother-figures, for that matter).

I look forward to Ro and Wren meeting. I feel like Ro'd be really good for him. He needs a good superior officer to wash out some of the pain Fett caused.

Looking forward to the sequel :) (hopefully I won't forget to check up on it).
spikala chapter 29 . 4/22/2013
I really liked how Garett look at the dead and his first thoughts were of his little sister and how glad he was that she was safe and she didn’t have to go through the experience of Geonosis. He’s such a good big brother :) His protectiveness is just so endearing, and ever so smexy!

That he wonders about the clones, but he decides to shelve his questions in favour of his job felt very realistic. I’ve noticed a trend for Jedi OC’s to doggedly worry at these questions and make loud flamboyant “this is wrong and I quit the Order!” stands. Given the level of development you’ve put into your OC’s, I shouldn’t be surprised that they buck the trends, but still, I want you to know that I’m very glad that Garett sidestepped this trap. It made me feel like he is very much a Jedi as they were at the time of Geonosis, and I’m eager to see how he’ll do in the Clone Wars, despite his qualms.

Great chapter. Really fun read and it was great to catch up with Garett.
spikala chapter 28 . 4/20/2013
I really enjoyed seeing the aftermath of the Geonosian arena through Wren’s eyes. It just flowed so well, and his matter of fact assessment of real, un-simulated warfare, “the real thing is nothing like the simulations. It’s a lot worse.”, was brutally honest.

He seems so torn to find that Fett is dead and his chance at revenge is gone. The last tether to his past as ARC-20 is gone, and I’m still divided as to whether or not this is a good or bad thing for Wren. He didn’t need that anger weighing him down, but I worry about where he’s going to go from here, as that anger and resentment was the only thing that kept him going during his training on Kamino.

Great to see that Mr I’m-Alpha-Eighty-Five-but-my-friends-call-me-Tully snuck back into the story. I’m curious, will he show up again? And what will he do when he finds out that he wasn’t concussed? Love that last line: “It was pointless to search for a dead man among the living.”
laloga chapter 27 . 4/16/2013
Not boring in the least! I really enjoyed meeting Shiv and Eda; it definitely feels like Ro is entering a new phase of her life, and I look forward to seeing how she fares at the other side of all this. Loved the idea that she's attending university, too, as it makes me think she's getting the broadest education possible, more so than a "normal" Jedi would have. It really feels like she's landed in the right place, and I'm happy for her. :)

I really enjoyed reading her impressions of Shiv and Eda in the Force - it was lovely, vivid and very well-done. Great job, too, with showing poor Ro thinking she'll never have what they have...though I have a feeling she's wrong about that. ;)

Loved her spunk and sass in dealing with Shiv! XD Of course, the fellow loved it, and it showed that she's more than able to handle herself. :)

Great chapter! I'm so excited to read what happens next!
spikala chapter 27 . 4/15/2013
The chapter isn't boring at all! I love reading about how Ro is carving out a new niche for herself. It was great to meet Eda and Shiv, their personalities came across so strongly and I look forward to seeing them in "Call of the Mockingbird". I have a feeling that although they are going to push Ro unmercifully during her training, they are going to be great mentors for her.
laloga chapter 26 . 4/15/2013
Sigh. Poor Thrush. The burden of command is a heavy one, no doubt, and I don't think he was ever able to shoulder it. Caring too much is one thing; letting that care affect how you make decisions is another. Good leaders are hard to find, or make, because they need to be able to walk that line between caring and making those tough calls.

Still, as sad as this chapter was to read, it was written exceptionally well. I was sucked right into the training exercise, like I was right there next to Wrench the whole time. Everything felt seamless: his thoughts on the exercise, on Thrush, on the other clones, and the descriptions of the exercise itself. The action was perfectly balanced with the emotion, and I'm so in awe of how you managed that.

And now he's "Wren." I really liked how he changed his name again, like how he's constantly trying to figure out *who* he is. It also shows the impact that Thrush had on him - mostly positive, it seemed. I loved how well he and Thrush were able to work together; it seemed like they really balanced each other out. :)

Wonderful, wonderful work. :D
Eregnar chapter 26 . 4/12/2013
Dammit! (Sorry) So many bits of songs going through my head... (I swear, I have an i-pod built into my brain that helps me deal with strong emotions) Only the good die young... Everyone I know goes away in the end... etc. etc. Poor Wren can't catch a kriffing break!

Sorry if my review made no sense.
spikala chapter 26 . 4/12/2013
... words fail me.

Between this and my stupid iTunes which, naturally, has thrown up the saddest song I own, I'm almost in tears. More than half of N/K-3 Company killed in a stupid stupid accident. Thrush gone, and by his own hand too, just to yank on my tear ducts even more. The company disbanded. Wrench gone along with yet another friend. All that is left is a trooper, scarred inside and out, called Wren.

You did a magnificent job writing this chapter, the bit about a fragment of Tak's skull lodged in Thrush's arm struck me as particularly poignant. It was short, and we never really saw it, but in the opening scene I got such a strong sense of the rapport that Thrush and Wrench were developing, a real feeling of just how good they could be if they'd had a bit more time together. To have all that snatched away is just heartbreaking. Great writing, but I just have to go and find a box of tissues and some chocolate now... :'(
99 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »