Reviews for On Wings of Silver and Lead
Eregnar chapter 23 . 4/1/2013
Ouch. Someone got massively demoted.
laloga chapter 23 . 4/1/2013
Oh man...that last line gives me chills. Absolutely fantastic writing here. Normally a clean slate is a chance to start over, but in this case it's the best punishment that Fett could manage. Wrench has had everything taken from him but his memories, which are definitely a punishment in their own right.

"I wanted it to be you." Another amazing line, really showing the depths of Wrench's hatred for Fett. Even now, even when he's probably at his lowest, his hate is still burning bright.

The first time I read this, I was totally confused by Wrench's new designation, but it's a great device to allow the reader to feel what he's feeling, to really pull them into his head, and you do it perfectly. Love the cool collection of the Kaminoan and how it contrasted with Fett's vivid cruelty (to Wrench's eyes).

Great mention at the end of Wrench having to learn new slang and a new walk; great details that show even among the clones, no group is entirely the same.

I'm so glad that you used Tully in this story! He had fun, let me tell you. ;) Thank you for including him and thank you for the shout-out. :)
laloga chapter 22 . 4/1/2013
Intense chapter. :) Great job showing Wrench's development, how he's becoming a junkie of a sort - he craves adrenaline, the high of battle and sex. He's a man who has spent his whole life dwelling on physical stuff, so that it makes sense he's searching for a greater bodily high than any he's experienced before.

I can't remember if the Battle Circle is canon or not, but either way it was used to great effect here. As you say, packing thousands of uber-aggressive men in a tight space and training them for war would naturally lead to lots of fighting, though the BC feels like an exaggeration of those natural (or spliced? :P) tendencies. But it makes sense, given the extreme, violent fanaticism of Reau and Priest, and their Death Watch beliefs.

Speaking of whom, great job with those two, though they are definitely creepy! I really liked how Wrench didn't really *fall* for Reau - he didn't automatically think she was gorgeous because she was the first woman he ever saw - and how he didn't fall for their rhetoric, either. Wrench's vision here may be clouded by anger and lust, but his eyes are open and he knows what they want from him, and he knows enough to take what *he* wants, in return.

Reau and Priest's disdain of Fett was well-done, and I liked how that really sparked Wrench's interest. "The enemy of my enemy," after all. ;)

Fantastic chapter! :D
Eregnar chapter 22 . 3/29/2013

That wasn't too explicit for me. I think I can keep reading ;) but still, what nasty people and what nasty situations.
Though, what can you expect from death-watch? Self-important Social-Darwinist Pseudo-Nazis...
spikala chapter 22 . 3/29/2013
Yay! More Wrench goodness *grins* I love reading about this guy, even if I would be more than a bit intimidated if I met him for real. I love how you've worked in the fighting circles that Traviss mentioned in her Commando series and both Dred and Reau felt very true to character. I'm curious to see why they want one of Fett's boys on their side, and also how far Wrench is willing to string them along. Something tells me that this isn't going to end well once they get found out.
laloga chapter 21 . 3/25/2013
Awww...poor Garett! :( It seems like he understands - logically - why Ro left, but his feelings are hurt nonetheless, and I can't blame him. (And I'm so curious about what happened on Corellia! It sounded like girl problems. :P) It was nice to see this side of Garett; he feels like such a strong Jedi, but he's still mortal and a young man, and has troubles that he can't just erase with the Force. It was nice - if sad - to see how much he needed Ro; I got the feeling that he didn't realize how much he needed her until she was gone, as is often the case.

Loved the holo-recording, and how Ro managed to make him smile despite his sadness. Also loved how you showed that she's feeling better, more like herself, and how he recognized that. I hope that he'll be able to reconcile with her one day, and that he won't hold a grudge or anything until then. I don't think so - he seems like he understands - but emotional/family stuff can get messy real fast.

Wonderful chapter. :)
laloga chapter 20 . 3/25/2013
Yay! Good for Ro. :) I'm glad she's found her own path, and I'm even more glad that it involves the Altisian Jedi. They're an interesting lot and I've longed to see them featured in a story. I think Ro will fit in with them rather well. :)

Wonderful job with Ro's feelings in this chapter. She has every right to be angry at the treatment of the abused women, and I loved how you tied in her empathic abilities with the situation, how it was so much worse for her to be near those women because she could sense how they felt. Great job as well with juxtaposing Ro's emotional reaction with her master's calmness, and how you brought that in later as one of Ro's reasons for not wanting to stay within the traditional Jedi Order.

Lovely description of the beach; I could picture that moment so well, and I love the image of Ro stomping along the sand, kicking benches and what not. :P

Master Altis' appearance was well-done and timely, but totally plausible, given his involvement with the situation on Spira. I do wonder what they talked about; I know that in the books he makes a point to say that he doesn't seek to convert "regular" Jedi, as Yoda would have a conniption fit if he thought Altis was "poaching" from the traditional Order, but I can see how Ro would have latched on to his philosophies. In many ways, I think the Altisians have it right, you know? They serve the Force, not necessarily the Republic.

Great chapter! (I'm sorry I'm so behind!)
Guest chapter 20 . 3/22/2013
Nonononono! Don't make her leave!
spikala chapter 19 . 3/20/2013
Yet another fascinating chapter from you, brauva! I have to say, I am loving this story and Wrench. He's a fantastic OC, really complex and multi-layered and I love reading about him, so very well done!

The way the other Alpha ARCs treat him is enough to make me seriously dislike Nate and Fordo, even though I'm torn about doing so due to their awesomeness in EU. I loved his snippy comeback about self-amputation! I could just imagine his cocky, 'don't mess with me' look as he said it.

This bit: "He would not ask for help. Never! He was an ARC, a one-man army, and he did not need help in completing a task. Not even from a fellow ARC." was just great, perfectly summing up his character for me. Stubborn as hell, self-sufficient, and resourceful. He's just becoming more and more interesting and individualistic (and stubborn!) as time goes on. He's gonna be a real piece of work by the time that his and Ro's lives intersect.
laloga chapter 19 . 3/20/2013
Loving Wrench's continuing development; for him, everything is a lesson in self-sufficiency and stubbornness. :P Wonderful job portraying his fierce individuality even among the already-individualistic ARC troopers, as well as his unrelenting urge to do things his own way...because he can. Because he'd rather - I think - shoot his own foot than be dependent on anyone else. It's great characterization, but it does make me sad for him, to think he sees no kindness or compassion in these days. Sigh. Ah, well. Perhaps somewhere down the road he'll meet a lovely, optimistic Jedi who can change his perspective a little bit. ;)

*Besides, Wrench receiving extra punishment was such a routine occurrence by now that the others no longer bothered to ask what, if anything, he had done to deserve it.* This was great, showing just how "different" he's become that his constant punishment seems normal to the others; it's normal for Wrench to be singled out, even from this young age. I also got a kick out of his pleasure that no one - not even Jango - was able to clearly state that *he* pulled that prank, (which was an awesome idea, btw).

As usual, fantastic job showing the growing clones. I think the only good thing about the pace of their aging is that they get to skip through puberty twice as fast as "normal" people. :P

Awesome chapter! Looking forward to Friday! :D
Eregnar chapter 18 . 3/16/2013
:( Really enjoying both parts of the story. Poor poor peoples. I assume their tales will intersect eventually? They'd be an interesting duo: happy bubbly empathic Jedi and jaded angry clone soldier. Following now :)
Eregnar chapter 12 . 3/16/2013
:( Poor Asher... He was such a sweet kid... I guess sweet clones don't last very long :(
laloga chapter 18 . 3/15/2013
Okay, I'm totally loving these training chapters! It's beyond cool seeing how the clones are trained, not to mention seeing how completely badass Wrench is. :D

Loved the idea of a holo-mission like this! I do wonder that Wrench didn't have to bring the hostage out to safety; I think that would be difficult for an ARC - or any clone at this stage of his development - to manage, because they'd have to deal with a "civvie" who can't move as quickly or efficiently as they can. It's always the toughest part of a video game, when you have to "rescue" someone and *then* get them out of the hostile area. ;)

A lot of this reminded me of a video game, actually, and I mean that in a good way. It *felt* like a real training exercise. I loved the mention of no live-rounds being used, as the Kaminoans considered the ARCs too valuable to potentially lose, though it makes me feel pretty bad for the "regular" grunts who are considered more expendable.

Loved seeing Wrench's quick thinking, and his creative problem-solving. And *loved* seeing Bric get hit in the face - that guy has it coming, I'm sure! XD

As angry as he is, as bitter as he's shaping up to be, I loved how Wrench took the time to help the other clones without thinking about it too hard. He's a good guy; he's just had a hard time so far. (And I fear it's not going to get any easier, any time soon.)

Great job coupling the thrill of his victory with the lesson that Jango taught him. I do wonder what this will mean to Wrench's future compassion towards other brothers, if it will make him less inclined to help them out. It's interesting reading him, because normally the sense of brotherhood is so strong among the clones, but the ARCs seem to be conditioned to be a lot more independent, not "needing" the others so much. (Poor Asher...sigh. I still miss that guy!)

*Fett might be able to catch him by surprise, but he would not be able to surprise him twice in the same way.* Fantastic lesson for Wrench to learn; I'm sure that it will carry over into his later days. Wonderful example of his intelligence and fast-learning capabilities.

This is silly, but when he was swinging over the mud, my first thought was "this guy is a super hero!" Wrench is a badass, no doubt about it, but he's also a compelling character, and I'm rooting for him all the way.

Amazing work! :D
SerendipityAEY chapter 4 . 3/12/2013
Aww, a very important day for Ro! Again, I loved reading it! My own can be very well behaved a lot of the time, most of the time, but still sometimes she's just bouncing off the walls so I can hardly imagine a child that was more hyper active but if I did it would definitely be Ro! Great job with that! I loved when Master Kynte was 'seeing' her and what clan she would do well in, fantastic descriptions. Loved it :)
Guest chapter 17 . 3/11/2013
I dislike Ro's master now! Poor thing...

Keep up the amazing work and the updates!
90 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »