Reviews for The Secret Side
RisingEmber chapter 5 . 10/29/2013
Add to previous chapter's review: I am surprised that you have it written that all of Kym's friends know that she is in Starfleet Intelligence. Usually a spy doesn't advertise and even their own spouse might would be in the dark about their involvement in that kind of work. I'm really confused as to why everyone knows it about her.

As for this chapter, it was nicely written.
RisingEmber chapter 4 . 10/29/2013
I'm a little confused as to just who Vaughn is in relation to Kym up to this point but I'm sure it will become clearer soon. I do like how you have captured Colonel Kira's personality; always trying to come off as being tough.
RisingEmber chapter 3 . 10/29/2013
A couple of things threw me for a loop with trying to nail down the time line for this story. You have Ro here despite her leaving Starfleet in TNG (not a big problem since I'm assuming that this is AU rather than a continuation of the series) and you have mentioned both Nog and Ezri. Both were Lieutenants by the end of the series. (Ezri was fresh out of the Academy when she met Sisko.) Here, you still have Nog a Lieutenant but Ezri has jumped to being a Captain. I would have liked to have had some sort of explanation for how that happened since rapid promotions weren't really all that common in Starfleet. So is it just a few months, years, or the decades that it would have taken for Ezri to earn that position?

My favorite part of the chapter was Kym's interaction with Ro. It showed a lot about their relationship up to this point.
RisingEmber chapter 2 . 10/29/2013
I liked this chapter. It did better to really introduce Kym to me as the reader than the prologue. It made Kym a real character. There were a few places that could have stood for an edit but over all the chapter was pleasant to read.
RisingEmber chapter 1 . 10/29/2013
I stopped in and figured I'd read through the story. So far, I have a couple of questions/suggestions for perhaps the next story.

First, this chapter feels very much like an info-dump. It would have been more captivating to actually see the events that have taken place in this chapter rather than just being told about it. So much information, especially in the first chapter, is hard to take in without fighting the urge to just skim it.

Second, you have Kym being court marshaled just because she was injured. There are other members in Starfleet with various ailments (remember the woman that was confined to a chair because her kind wasn't used to gravity?) so that comes off as unlikely. It would have been more believable for her to have resigned her commission or to be given an honorable discharge due to medical reasons. You later mentioned something about insubordination but again that seemed out of place since it wasn't clear where that came from.

Third, it seems unlikely that if Kym had been court marshaled that she would have been given a promotion again, especially so soon. Remember when Worf was warned that he could count on not receiving another promotion after choosing Jadzia over the completion of a mission? The court marshal seems like an unnecessary detail that throws a lot of monkey wrenches into your plot.

With that said, I do like the fact that you took what happened to Worf in "Ethics" and went with it though again it would have been good to have seen it more up-close and personal. So far, this reads more like reading Kym's intelligence file than a story.
Guest chapter 17 . 8/12/2013
Ahhh, I think I was almost as excited as Kym when Ezri was mentioned, and when she saw her again too! w

Great story so far, not much to go either... :(
It's nice to see Ro Laren turning up too!
Guest chapter 2 . 2/15/2013
So far so good-you've got my curiosity!

A couple of notes: did you mention that Kym is Betazoid in the first chapter, or did I miss it? I just thought I'd ask because I was wondering what her species is while I was reading; I had tentatively decided she might be Betazoid, but it would have been nice to know for sure.

Also, were you using the Bajorans' last names on purpose? I wondered because the humans seem to be going by first names.

Looking forward to the next chapter!
tahmtahm chapter 5 . 2/3/2013
Very interesting story. Thank you for writing. Can't wait to see what happens next!