Reviews for The Value of Life
ariedling chapter 3 . 3/8/2013
i love this, i wish u did birth stories though
Sunakunoichi chapter 3 . 2/9/2013
This story was very lighthearted at the end. Which makes me very happy. "A love powerful enough to protect a premature baby unto adulthood, and a love powerful enough to put two souls to rest sixteen years later." That sentence was so touching. Gaara acknoledged that his parents had love for each other, and thats the exact same love that he eventually recieved from his mother. That revelation was just wonderful in the manga and anime. Here you show it so well in your writing. The only part that makes you wonder what went wrong is when they were discussing sealing Shukaku inside Gaara. Hirohiko seemed to not realize the mistake of that until it was too late.
Sunakunoichi chapter 2 . 2/9/2013
This chapter was just amazing. I loved how much thought you put into why Karura chose Kankuro as her second child's name. The name means "ninth child". However, he is their second. Your description of kankuro being the ninth son to have Kan or Yuu in his name was brilliant. The fact that Karura knows how many people have actually had Kan or Yuu in their names proves that she must keep up with the family tree. Therefor, she must have strong familial ties. Also, I liked the fact that Kankuro was their anniversary baby. That added a nice twist. My favorite part was the description of Gaara's name. Love is My Compass was just totally amazing and so adorable and sweet. 333
Mystical Sand chapter 3 . 2/3/2013
I like how you made the decision to seal Shukaku into Gaara more complicated than it originally sounded, and I'm glad Karura didn't grow to hate her husband in the process. The idea of that fourth child is still so sad. Their family could have been much different.
Surreptitious Chi X chapter 3 . 2/2/2013
Given Karura's sterling character, of course she would not have had Gaara for any other reason than love. And it's shown that she loved him immensely, to the point of staying after death to protect him. One of many facts about canon that you put into context and make sense of. This story is beautiful because of that, and many other reasons. Like the way you effortlessly humanize Yondaime and reconcile his relationship with Karura with the misrepresentations of him in canon by Gaara as horrible and heartless.

Karura couldn't fall in love with a bad man. She's pure goodness. And she's strong enough to protect Gaara after death, so she's strong enough to make important life decisions for herself. If Yashamaru was involved, then she was, too! If Chiyo was there, then Karura was definitely allowed a voice. Not to mention being Yondaime's wife. That's not a political position to sneeze at. No one could force her to do anything with her body or her children against her will.

Your stories do more than just entertain. You celebrate and expand canon, so that it makes sense. You help us do more than mindlessly consume Naruto. You help us interpret it. I love all of your stories because of this.

Thank you for writing this story. It is a remarkable gift to the fandom; a thoughtful reconstruction of Yondaime and Karura's life.
sandydragon chapter 3 . 2/1/2013
This was the chapter I was looking forward to the most. Karura's undying love for Gaara makes her one of my favorite characters, so I can never get enough of sweet moments like these. You write her well plus you make her husband seem more warm and loving than most people do. You should write about this family more often.
Ashen Triskel chapter 2 . 1/29/2013
Being too lazy to log in, but I'm so glad to see you back! I hope whatever's been going on is straightened out. :S

Seeing Yondaime being tender and loving is seriously boggling my mind, but I'm really looking forward to how you resolve him turning into the callous man we meet in the series. It makes the current iteration especially bittersweet, knowing as I do part of how that will end. Thanks for including the kanji meanings of Temari and Kankurou; as a Japanese student, I have a lot of fun dissecting the literal meaning behind the kanji assigned to things.

Looking forward to seeing more!
Surreptitious Chi X chapter 2 . 1/26/2013
I love this story. It's so sweet, and so poignant. I love the little game Karura plays with Hirohiko before telling him she's pregnant. And it's so adorable that his response is positive. Then you twist the knife at the end by pointing out that unknown to Hirohiko, there is a terrible future waiting.
sandydragon chapter 2 . 1/25/2013
I never get tired of sweet moments like these. It's good to see that you actually know what those names mean. Not nearly enough people do in my opinion.
Gaaras1Girl chapter 2 . 1/25/2013
Does Gaara's name really have two different meaning? o.O Anyway lovely chapter as usual. Loved the part with the broken plate reference, that must have been a cute scene.
Mystical Sand chapter 2 . 1/25/2013
I love the idea of Kankuro being their anniversary baby. It makes his life seem all the more special. Karura's name for their second daughter was nice too. It's so sad that they never got her. That was an interesting point about Yashamaru not being his real name. I'd never thought about it, but it makes sense given Yamato from the Leaf village.
Tammy chapter 1 . 1/24/2013
Right up until Karura mentioned the names Temari and Kankuro, I thought she was pregnant with Gaara. It's easy to take them for granted as part of the family sometimes. But suddenly I'm picturing her playing with her little daughter. It's sad that she was taken from all of them so soon.
Sunakunoichi18 chapter 1 . 1/24/2013
I am so happy that you posted a new story, Ariel! I love your fanfiction, and I regularly check to see if you have any updates. Although this story was rather short, I still loved the theme. Its nice to see what Karura and her husband's relationship was like before they had children. Gaara's name wasnt mentioned this time, but I know you did that on purpose. To think, the main theme of this story is lighthearted, but the sub-theme is darker. You know what is going to happen, and its sad to think that Karura and yondaime never got the chance to have four children, since Karura died giving birth to Gaara. Although, we know she loved all of the children she had very much. My favorite line in the whole story was "It was fortunate, then, that Hirohiko could not know the future." It just adds that darker element to the end. Loved it.

I just figured that you would post another Gaara/Gaara's family fic once the episodes about Gaara aired online. The episodes always give people inspiration to write. They give me the inspiration, thats for sure. I think your fanfiction makes the actual story even better. I dont know what the worlf would do without good fanfiction writers like yourself. I hope you will post another story soon. Maybe you could even add another chapter to this one. Ill always be checking back for updates. It keeps me occupied when I can read fanfiction about my favorite characters in the meantime while they are on hiatus from the Naruto anime or manga.
Mystical Sand chapter 1 . 1/23/2013
It's nice to see a quiet moment between the Kazekage and his wife before everything goes bad for them. I love that Karura thought of the names Temari and Kankuro first. It really shows that she loves her two oldest children also. I liked Hirohiko agreeing to four children. He's not thinking of a three man squad, at least not yet. It also adds another layer of tragedy that they never got that fourth child.
Surreptitious Chi X chapter 1 . 1/19/2013
I like having a glimpse into their life before when the story begins in canon. Watching Karura be pregnant, picking out the names we know she will settle on for her children, watching how Hirohiko and Karura interact before their children are's a small peek into what looks like a very sweet and quiet life. We know from inference that Yondaime relied heavily on his wife, but it's another thing for you to show us this reliance. It's very powerfully touching.