Reviews for Election 1987
Kaitsy chapter 1 . 3/19/2014
Reading this for the dozenth time, I think. I cry every time, without fail. It's such a gentle sadness, a gentle slip between past, present, and death. It consumes me, it is so beautiful. The presence of Mary, and all characters mentioned but also departed, are so big and so real that I feel this very intimate glimpse into her mind, her memories. It is painfully lovely. Certain lines get me each time..."but Tom was gone these twenty years"..."that only more sharply reminded her of the man they never knew"..."because she could never resist those eyes"..."her voice was miles away, in a green room at Downton"...God. GOD. It gets me even more than a year later.
downtonlove chapter 1 . 7/28/2013
This is stunning. I can imagine every part of this. Strong Lady Mary who has braved the storm for 95 years and is ready to be with Matthew, again. Now they'll never be apart, "never again." Beautiful. Thank you for this.
Lou chapter 1 . 7/9/2013
Oh gosh, this is absolutely beautiful.
"Her hair was white and her skin a web of memories, but she was every inch the Lady Mary she had always been."
That's the moment I fell in love with this fic. And it just got better.
The ending... Oh wow. Beautiful. Matthew, and then Sybil - classic Sybil - absolutely beautiful. Well done.
luvgoround chapter 1 . 6/4/2013
Bawling my eyes out. Just been a basket case these days. This story is so touching, and as always, beautifully written.
jmar chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
Ahhh, with tears in my eyes. A lovely story. Although, in my own heart, I want Mary to find love. Yes, I believe that we can love again, even after great loss. The loss of Matthew is still quite devastating, but I want more for Mary (emphasis on 'more') - & not just a 'pretty boy', I want someone challenging! Thank you for your version, for making her a long life, filled with family.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/26/2013
i definitely just cried over this. such a bitter sweet story, i loved it!
Audrey C chapter 1 . 1/26/2013
Really beautiful story as always. Sob! I can totally imagine Mary having a very long life (but so sad without Matthew). So glad their son survived WWII. Such a cute comment for Sybil at the end. Uggh, I hate canon so much now! I'm more mad at DS than JF though, that's for sure.
forlovealone chapter 1 . 1/23/2013
this is so beautifully written...like all your stories, they speak more to me than the canon of JF.
thorteso chapter 1 . 1/23/2013
So bittersweet and so wonderful. I love the line "You braved the storm for us all", so true of Mary. Especially with what has happened now, she is in the midst of the worst storm of her life I think.

Also love Sybil's input, made me laugh :)

Thanks for sharing!
Kaitsy chapter 1 . 1/20/2013
I'm sobbing. I haven't cried over Matthew since Christmas Day and hardly then because I was so angry at Dan. You captured this beautiful shift in Mary, this quiet change in the last night of her life...I felt the weariness, the awareness of time having passed. I'm so, so sad and so appreciative of you writing this. Ugly gross sobbing though.
Ali Barbara chapter 1 . 1/20/2013
This is simply superb. What a totally original idea and so well executed. I can really see Mary living to a great age, beyond that of her contemporaries. I love that her granddaughter is called Isobel and that she is in engaged to a Napier. The recollection of quotes from canon, Mary talking to Tom, Sybil, and of course Matthew. Her finally joining them. Just beautiful.
Captain Evermind chapter 1 . 1/20/2013
Waaaaaah! So, so lovely! I love Mary's relationship with Tom - that line about "the things they missed" was heart-wrenching. Beautiful wee revision.
ARCurren chapter 1 . 1/20/2013
too beautiful. I loved the juxtaposition of Isobel's happy news, the impatience to share it and start her life, with Mary who's on the slow walk back to her own happiness. It seems she and Tom found a way to bear it, to brave the storm, but it was never the same. I liked their inside joke about M/S being self-righteous- it made me think that M/S died white, having never lived long enough to acquire moral grayness. I love that the story starts with Mary's thought about Sybil- it just gives the sense that M/S lived on, always close at hand.

The ending and Mary's retreat from consciousness and living was very effectively written- I felt pulled in both directions.

And upon re-reading, the first line that got to me was "nothing will change"- because, oh, would that it were true. screw fellowes, decision 79 is canon :(
Guest chapter 1 . 1/20/2013
With all due respect (as I type this crying) this is the AU, Decision 79 is what is canon. Matthew lives to 1970, Sybil and Mary live at Downton, and they have several grandchildren, including a lovely girl who had the important task of finding books to read to her grandfather.

You have a rare and beautiful gift. I stopped watching the show after Sybil was taken away and finding out about Matthew (I wish both actors nothing but the best), I knew I made the right call. It was nice that Mary had no other love. I will read that as she never married. It was beautiful how Matthew came for her. I will not comment on the Tom flashback.

You should keep writing. You have a lovely talent. But I will say goodbye here, to you and Downton Abbey fanfiction. God be with you forever and may all your endeavors be blessed with His light.
Nenski chapter 1 . 1/19/2013