Reviews for Not A Fairytale
nij2401 chapter 1 . 5/10/2014
I love this! You've represented Remus so well, and as he is one of my favourite characters, this only adds to it. Love the comparison between a fairytale. I have no more words! :')
silver-nightstorm chapter 1 . 2/24/2013
When I first saw this, I thought you were going to do a 'beauty and the beast'esque parallel of this and I'm glad you took it a different way. Your portrayal of Remus here is so perfect! I especially love the little interjections in italics. Lovely piece, a few spag errors, but nothing to detract from the awesomeness :)
TrueBeliever831 chapter 1 . 2/24/2013
I love stories about Remus, he is one of my absolute favorite characters and I loved what you did here...relating his life witha a fairytale...because wolves are usually the evil/bad one in a fairytale, but really there was nothing evil or bad about Remus Lupin, he was just a tragic character... Amazing job.
HedwigBlack chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
I really like that you ended it there. With that lingering idea of 'maybe I should..." instead of bringing the story to that happily ever after kind of resolution when he goes back to Tonks. Because I think with the theme of Remus' life /not/ being a fairytale, this ending worked beautifully. I also liked how you got into his head and how self-deprecating and stubborn he was. And I think there were bits in here that reminded me why I used to like this couple so much. Nice job :D
Lil'MissChris chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
Remus, I dub thee, Beauty and the Beast. Remus is beauty and the beast at the same time. _

This really is a beautiful fic. I'm a sucker for Remus's angsty side, even if it does make me want to yell "BUT I LOVE YOU REMIE" at the screen. You wrote him perfectly in character and it was wonderful to read his journey from hating himself, to befriending Tonks, to loving her, to thinking she deserves better, and onward. Wonderfully done.
AnneNevilleReviews chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
You use an intriguing structure in this story. Having one level of Remus's thoughts being interrupted by another level gives a sense of disordered or anxious thought, which strikes true. I also liked the way you framed this story: that Remus has typecast himself as the beast in a fairytale, as opposed to the handsome Prince Charming, and he reads his whole life through this lens. That not-very-nuanced (and I'm talking about the character's POV, not the writing!) perspective shapes his whole life, and the fact that he's wrong about himself makes this story all the more poignant.

As usual, you write very cleanly. I did notice one thing that stuck out as a possible typo: [Her face doomed up in my dreams]. I don't quite follow your meaning here . . .

If I have any reservations about this story, it would be that it is rather expository compared to the other pieces of yours that I've read. We know this information about Remus and I feel like I am reading Remus's summary of his life without learning much more about him than I knew from canon. However, your stylistic choices (cutting the narrative with the bits of poetry, using the Prince Charming/Beauty and the Beast themes) give Remus's tale greater depth. You certainly end on a high note:

[How could I just leave the woman I loved more than anything in the world, when the sole person I was running from – me – would be my shadow, no matter what I did or where I went?] This is an absolutely beautiful, moving line. It made me choke up, because how many of us really do spend our whole lives running from ourselves?
The Original Horcrux chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
RALINDE WHY IS THIS SO BEAUTIFUL?! i love stories that centre around Remus and how he feels about his relationship with Tonks and I love them together so much! I loved how it follows the whole 'if this was a fairytale' thing and how it isn't a fairytale because Remus doesn't have a fairytale life (well who actually does?) and I love how it progresses through their relationship :) just one thing though, Tonks and Remus are only 13 years apart, not 14. That didn't detract from the story at all though. Great job!

Keep up the amazing work and DFTBA!
Nayla xx
starlight.moon.princess chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
This is a really well done description of Remus and Tonks' love story. You get into Remus' mind really well, and the explanation of why he leaves Tonks was written beautifully :)
Fire The Canon chapter 1 . 2/13/2013
This was truly amazing! You had Remus characterised perfectly and I really enjoyed how you went through all these stages. His despair, his falling in love, his confusion, his joy, his confusion again, him running and then him returning.

I loved it! Great job!
mrsProbie chapter 1 . 2/12/2013
This was beautiful- his realization of what Teddy would go through knowing that he had abandoned him was incredibly well done. That last large paragraph about brought me to tears.
Forever Siriusly Sirius chapter 1 . 2/11/2013
For some reason, this got me thinking of Beauty and the Beast, my all time favourite fairytale and musical ever. I can totally picture Remus as the beast turned Prince and Tonks as Belle. I really enjoyed reading this, it kind of broke my heart seeing Remus so self deprecating but sadly that is the way his character is. I love the progresion of their relationship and how you had the italics showing the stages. This was beautiful :)
MsTonksLupin chapter 1 . 2/10/2013
Poor Remus... love the comparison of his life and relationship with Tonks with a fairytale... Ironic much, but it is my favorite fairytale:) You have written his sentiments and thoughts so well, I love this story! The ending was so sad but I'm so glad he realized his mistake! The ending line is the perfect touch!
If you want, take a look at my R/T story, "It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah":)
our dancing days chapter 1 . 2/10/2013
Even though I'm an ardent Wolfstar shipper, Tonks does have a very special place in my heart. I love the theme for this and how you incorporated it into their story, and the formatting set it out really well. I didn't see any SPaG mistakes with my - admittedly, flawed - mortal eyes, so that made me enjoy it even more. Great job!
autumn midnights chapter 1 . 2/7/2013
This was a great look at Remus and Tonks! I think your characterization of Remus is spot-on, and the repetition of how he doesn't believe in fairytales makes a lot of sense for him; considering all that he's been through, he really wouldn't expect a happy ending for himself. I liked seeing Tonks through Remus's eyes, as well, and she was in-character, too. SPaG was good, just one thing I noticed, really - 'What if he'd questions and there would be no one there to answer them?' should be 'What if he had questions and there was no one there to answer them?' Anyway, I like the mention of Remus being the beast in a fairytale, I can picture him thinking that. The paragraph describing Tonks, right after 'We became friends', was my favorite - you just describe her really well there. I like how this shows Remus and Tonks's relationship through the years, as well. Nice work!
Lillia-Lillia chapter 1 . 2/6/2013
I love the poetic ebb and flow in this piece. Lupin is one of my favorite characters and I can really appreciate his struggle in this story. You described his budding relationship with Tonks well and the fears that crop up about having a child that might be as "monstrous" as him were very believable. Nice job on the fairytale theme as well.