Reviews for Who Calls and Claims and Takes
Erestor chapter 1 . 12/15/2003
Very profound, not to mention well-written.
Starlight10 chapter 1 . 9/10/2002
This was so wonderful! Your masterful descriptions of the sea and the hold it has over Voronwe's heart are so touching and... art-like! I am just trying to find a word to describe what I want to say, but your writing was so beautiful that I think I will find none... I like how you describe his sea-longing from a different perspective: he feels no guilt nor longing for Valinor, but his love of the sea is a genuine feeling; he loves the sea just "because;" as you said, he loves her as she is. This was very beautiful, keep up the great work!
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 1 . 8/19/2002
Personification... wow. The sea is almost a character in her own right. *big, googly eyes* Where did you learn to write like this? And it's nice to see a character who is usually overlooked star in a fic. Great job! :)
misscam chapter 1 . 8/10/2002

As a Norwegian, I grew up in a country so bound to the sea and this struck a cord in me. The images are painted wonderfully... melancoly, wonder, a hint of fear, love... All mixed together as the Elf watches the sea just a little while longer... Very well done.
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 8/7/2002
I do believe that this is the first Voronwe story I've read. A very insightful and compelling look into the mind of one of the very few memorable minor Silmarillion characters.
Finch chapter 1 . 8/6/2002
A haunting piece, with strong images of the sea. And using a single Elf - whether it's Ecthelion or not - as an (additional) personification of sea-longing works very well!
Soledad too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 8/5/2002
Great story! No wonder Voronwë has harrassed you so long - it would have been a sin not to write this one. Nor can I remember having ever read a story from Boronwë's very few stories that could make the sea-longing of the Elves a little more... approachable for us, mere mortals.
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 8/5/2002
Here, a review for the kind writer that made me realize my mistake in the Greek translation (or rather in my English translation)

Absolutely touching the way in which you write Voronwës feelings when he looks at the sea...not tainted with guilt, as the longing of the Noldor, but loving her as she is. As I live in an island city, I understand it very well...and you, you must live at the seaside too, to write the feeling so well, dont you?

Poor Voronwë! I always thought the Valar were very cruel to reject in that way the vessels from Middle- Earth. But perhaps, I think, he might have enjoyed the storm, and the feeling of being one with the Sea he loves, like Romantics did- think about Shelley. Maybe thats why, after his experience, he doesnt want to return to the City of Stone again. Oh, but hell have to, anyway.

I like one of the first versions of the story, when Voronwë accompanied Eärendil to Valinor. It should have been so, he deserved it! I dont know...perhaps Im giving you an idea for a new fic? (sly smile)
erunyauve chapter 1 . 8/4/2002
All my favorite elves seem to be whispering to you lately! Voronwë is one of the few bit players who was given a bit of character, making him rather interesting to write. He would certainly be the little elf who spends all his time alone by the sea. I like the way you differentiated between Sindarin and Noldorin sea-longing - I think you nailed down what Tolkien never really put in words, but intended.
Mouse chapter 1 . 8/4/2002
Aha! I knew it had to be Ecthelion. *giggle*

Anyway, even disregarding my favourite Elf: wowsers. I love this kind of mood-piece. For your writing, as always, I have no words except grand, splendid, beautiful ... and poignant, tragic, bittersweet. The Sea has as much character as Voronwe- playing both the love interest and the villain _. Well, maybe Gondolin is the villain. And the image of that anonymous Elf (aww...) standing for days on the shore- shiver worthy.

I kept thinking of your Curufin fic. How *do* you jump inside so many different heads with such skill? I think Voronwe should do some more sulking and come up with the next plotbunny ... I want to know what he was thinking when he lead Tuor back to the city with its horrid stone walls. Marvellous work!
that is secret chapter 1 . 8/4/2002
*gapes* That was absolutely beautiful. You captured his longing and feelings quite well. You said it wasn't good, but I think it was wonderful - and it's the first Voronwe fic I've ever read, so woohoo! ;-)