Reviews for A Different Christmas
Peabodythecat chapter 1 . 12/23/2014
Lovely. And not at all saccharine; because of course there are those of us who didn't have storybook holidays as kids and this time of year can be melancholy. But what a great job of capturing the depth of friendship. Merry Christmas.
damncritic chapter 1 . 2/24/2013
aww.. this was nice and sweet.
light at last chapter 1 . 2/22/2013
Awww. So cute. I love everyone's willingness to chip in and try to make Christmas, even though they don't have a lot to work with. And Basher's outburst seems totally justified to me, especially since he was able to turn it around. And Danny is a total sap, secretly, and any kids Rusty had would absolutely be Saul's grandkids, and Rusty has some...mom-like qualities. Let's put it that way. All in all, a lovely story. And, hey, if you were late getting a Christmas story out, I'm even later reading it, but I don't let that stop me. I've been known to watch Christmas movies in July, though, if the fancy takes me.
Maia2 chapter 1 . 2/3/2013
Aww, so cute! And thanks, as InSilva, I too enjoy unexpected Christmas.
Very nice little family study. Nice presents!
Thanks for sharing.
SupernaturalGeek chapter 1 . 1/29/2013
That was utterly delightful. You captured everyone's personalities perfectly and there was just the right amount of fond affection (which never became overly sentimental) and laugh-out-loud humour.

As always Rusty and Danny are my favourites - and I think I wanted to quote more or less every thought Rusty had - but in the end I'm highlighting this because the 'Mum' thing was making me chuckle every time it happened and the silent communication thing he and Danny have is something else I love, so the combination of the two made me actually laugh out loud;

"Oh, fantastic. He was so pleased that had caught on. Not to mention the whole no-setting-fire-to-the-furniture thing hadn't even come from him. That was all on Danny. But, from experience, he had a feeling that explaining they'd had the discussion by playing footsie under the table wouldn't exactly make things clearer. Though it might be worth it to see if Linus' head actually exploded."

I really, really enjoyed this.
Chjajcjjslakncjska chapter 1 . 1/27/2013
Nawww cute! But who the heck was Rusty's secret Santa?
Kerowyn Van'Seph chapter 1 . 1/21/2013
Aww...lovely story. I was so happy to see that you'd posted a new story that I had to ignore homework in favor of reading it (really, I HAD to...definitely...and now I have to go back to my homework...sigh). Anyways, hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year's.

keroV
NerdBurga chapter 1 . 1/21/2013
You do it again, another great story I couldn't stop reading. So funny and well written. Hope you write more soon :D
InSilva chapter 1 . 1/20/2013
There can never be too much Christmas. Certainly never too much youChristmasfic.

Love the setting of this. Right in the middle of nowhere with everyone and nothing. And amusement for the blame game. Reminds me of the scene in O12. It usually ends up being their fault somehow. Now giggling because thinking of people with lightbulbs in their mouths. Ahem. Anyway. It could have been disastrous and awful but none of them are injured, all of them are together and they are all full of ingenuity and gumption. Making Christmas out of nothing is a challenge not a problem.

Giggling for the green snowflake. Is certainly unique. And smiling for the coffee pig/truffles. Roman must despair of them sometimes. Bantering with Greco at least means someone gets his allusions. Giggling for the game of Pass the Bear Spray. Danny has history when it comes to wasps. Think Frank is definitely a safe pair of beautifully manicured hands. And I love all the fic references you drop into this. Absolutely no need to know about Zombie's origins or The Outdoor Type or mtc et al but fabulous that they're in here, all joined up in this particular timey wimey universe.

The image of Isabel in full Jack Nicholson manic glee mode makes me chuckle. Love the way you write her. Absolutely right match for Rusty. And Linus would worry about deforestation. Whilst grand larceny wouldn't faze him in the slightest.

"It's green" still makes me think of "It's on a stick" or "He had a hat". Proper Rustylogic of the unanswerable kind.

Understandable that the talk would turn to traditions at Christmas. Christmas does that to people. And smiling for the *Grandchildren?* which I hear as a loud exclamation in Rusty's head. He's lucky that he's a master of keeping a straight face. And of course they would be Saul's and of course Saul would never dream of asking or pressurising. He's just glad he found Rusty.

Sigh for Basher reacting to all the happy. Isn't always the happy even if that changes when you get older. And naturally Danny is the one to make things right.

"So far today, you've fixed the plumbing and I've cut down a tree. I think we've got enough manly points stacked up to have a serious conversation."

Giggling. Even more so for the "Right..." which I can hear and the sceptical look on Basher's face which I can see.

Love the idea of Secret Santa and much amusement for Linus coming up with the idea (and the subesquent obsessing over the secrecy) and then floundering with Danny's present. He would because he'd want it to be *so* special. At least no sock puppets and mix tapes. :)

Do like the couples together. And Tess and Isabel (and Judith and Sarah for that matter) won't care about the untraditionalness as long as they are with their other halves and everyone is well. Equally, can understand the regret in Danny and Rusty (and Saul and Virgil for that matter) at exposing other halves to the world of crazy and dangerous. Nothing they'd want for them. And all the other halves fit into this fic effortlessly and perfectly. Brilliant.

Bear interlude is funny and cute and cool all at the same time. Much love for the:

"It looks like an actual bear," Danny agreed gravely. "Of course, it could be a clever disguise."

and smiling for Roman with Eddie Izzard traits. Can see the startlement in Linus.

The meals actually sound very good for improvisation. And much smiling for everyone asking Rusty for presenthelp. Of course. Laughed out loud when I read the "Mom". Really, really is and isn't him. Can imagine it rankling. They are all going to have a little fun with that for a while.

Love the present-giving. See? Ingenuity and gumption. Them and you. And now tempted to think that Judith wrote Linus's limerick what with the encouragement to perform in public. :D

Love the photographs. Really do. Very Danny present and very perfect. Snapshots of a Christmas none of them will forget.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)
Saffygirl chapter 1 . 1/20/2013