Reviews for By John Gage
AnneSheffield chapter 3 . 10/23/2013
Good story, much enjoyed. Thanks.
FlaFan chapter 3 . 8/29/2013
Fine story, and a perfect perspective on any writer - whether it's someone who writes for a living or a paramedic who gains interest in something other than his female classmates as he goes along. :)
Var Devonshire chapter 3 . 8/10/2013
I really enjoyed the story and love the name change from Johnny Gage to Jimmy Sage. Nicely done!
Ginger S chapter 3 . 3/17/2013
"Jimmy Sage"! ha ha ha! I laughed so hard at this last paragraph. So like many fanfiction authors turning their E! stories into novels with characters names only slightly changed. Too funny! This story was a delightful read. I can see Johnny taking that class and finishing it. Thanks for another great read!
CMCity chapter 3 . 3/6/2013
What a sweet story! And not an easy one to pull off, but you did it while keeping true to the characters' voices, too. I am impressed with the clumsy writing jobs you produced for Johnny's essays. Also by the many elements that I had not anticipated and that enriched your story.
We're you writing about "what you know" We're you in a writing class yourself? I'm asking because it felt like you were talking about a real experience. Bravo. Good job!
Dianne chapter 3 . 1/28/2013
This was refreshingly intelligent. I would recommend it to any reader wanting to improve their craft because you pointed frequent mistakes writers make. I love how John grew as a person as he struggled through his assignments. It was nice to read John's character as an adult, but I enjoyed that you let his vulnerable side show through as well as his empathetic side when he showed quiet support to Roy by simply sitting with him after the bad news about the death of a fellow fire fighter was revealed. I loved how the teacher's inner thoughts about her various students played out with some leaving the class altogether and some sticking it out without learning much. With red pen poised she still found a way to encourage even the worst writers in her class while getting her points across about what they needed to do to improve. Thanks for writing.
51Dreaming chapter 2 . 1/26/2013
Wow.
Excellent, beyond words.
John's really showing us how writers struggle.
I love the ending, with John thinking about how in some ways it's easier to be the victim. That really resonated for me.
NineMilesNorth chapter 3 . 1/24/2013
There is a whole lot to love about this story. I like your take on John, one of my favorites. I particularly appreciate the way you framed the story through the writing assignments, letting his foibles and strengths peek through and allowing Maddie to recognize the character of the aspiring author hidden between the adverbs and typos. She has good taste in heroes.
JerriB chapter 3 . 1/21/2013
I have to tell you - I just loved this story. I think it is well written and Johnny's stories are hilarious. I really really think so. And I loved the character of the teacher and the ending where she is writing her own version of Johnny. Just wanted to say great job.
Sound chapter 3 . 1/20/2013
cute, :).
Guest chapter 3 . 1/20/2013
I really enjoyed reading your story...I tried writing some emergency fan fiction and lets just say I was a Johnny.
51Dreaming chapter 1 . 1/22/2013
This is just great! A very different view of John and his take on things.

Poor guy needs a thesaurus, among other things, lol.

Well done! Looking forward to more.
Bamboozlepig chapter 3 . 1/21/2013
Excellent story, I love how you get into the art of writing, not to mention all the frustrations and joys it brings! I definitely identify with Johnny struggling to get 500 words together because sometimes it's difficult to get even TEN words together when the muse is balking (and more interested in other things that are decidedly NOT writing). I think you also captured Johnny's voice very well, especially as his writing style progressed. And as always, the humor is a treat to read. Great job, all the way around!
Colleen17 chapter 3 . 1/21/2013
Loved it!
Enfleurage chapter 3 . 1/21/2013
This is a lovely story with great characterization, a lovely evolution in Johnny's writing and perspective, filled with sly humor and tragic loss of life that drives home the personal perspective for him.

I love how you deliberately included Johnny's typos and error in his work, as well as capturing his passion and his particular interests. I also think you did a wonderful job of having the instructor hit upon so many key elements of writing that make a story spring to life - using ALL of the senses, creating an experience that resonates on a personal level - that bear reminding to all of us fanfic writers and readers.