Reviews for The Widow Morris Stories
Guest chapter 8 . 10/28/2016
The title of this chapter, "Breathing", takes on many levels. Every thing, from reminding yourself to breath in and out, to breathing without thought.
At first , Emily must find a way to keep on breathing. The aftermath of dealing with the rape, have left her with no normalcy. That has been taken away, forever. Like her breathing, she struggles to find a new normal.

Then she reveals the lost of her daughter. It would seem that life is out of balance, for a child to die before the parent. To learn that the baby, "just quit breathing " makes one aware of one's own breathing. Then, there is the prospects of another baby. But a baby, produced by rape, not love.

It is only when Emily remembers Johnny's ""breathtaking" kisses, that one quit holding one's breath. You knew that Johnny would be there for her.
And as for the ending: it, " was as natural as breathing".
October 28,2016.
Guest chapter 7 . 10/27/2016
Now, the foreboding incident is told. Johnny's past pays him a visit. And it is Emily that gets the calling card.
(The opening line from the movie, "The Patriot", comes to mind: "I have long feared that my sins would return to visit me. And the cost is more than I can bear". And so, this would be the case for Johnny. Incredibly, it will be Emily, that teaches Johnny the error of his guilt. This chapter was a hard read. Not because of the writing. It was a hard read, because of the depravity. The writing successfully captured the senseless, dehumanizing, brutally of the subject matter.

Extra notes:
Once again, there is a disclosure from Johnny regarding,
a past true love, when he was Madrid. A love that he lost. Again, not fair to tease the reader. Please write the
rest of this back story.

And while I am harping, might as well say, that you got me, and I did not even see it coming. When ever someone introduces a dog in a story, I usually, get cautious and defensive. I gear myself against the "Disney, Old Yeller" syndrome. But the passing of the ugly old dog, was done so stealthily, it got to me even more. Hard read, this chapter.
October 27, 2016.
Guest chapter 6 . 10/26/2016
Being forced by circumstances, to really need someone, can change everything. When Emily says: "Thank you for saving my life. I' m sorry you had to kill them, but I'm sorry because of what it does to you, not because they're
dead", you come to admire her even more. With everything she has gone through, she still is concerned with Johnny's welfare, more than her own. This woman know about the true nature of love, and lives it. Really a classy lady.

Absolutely loved the little background story about Renaldo. He, too, was another class act. For all that Johnny has been through in his life, he still is being watched over by Guardian Angels. And when he needed them, Renaldo and, now, Emily, have been there for Johnny. Renaldo and his touching act of kindness. Yet, Renaldo cared enough to discipline young Johnny. He taught Johnny about respect, dignity, and self worth. And his teaching technique was very unique. A form of gentle, non hostile, tough love. The perfect was to reach the young Johnny.
The ending was rather foreboding.

Side note:
When back to rereading, to see if I had missed something. The foreboding incident must come in the future chapters. What I did miss, Tramp, is the name of
Emily's horse, not the name of the ugly old dog. My Bad.
October 26, 2016.
Guest chapter 5 . 10/23/2016
Loved the first three paragraphs in Chapter 5.
The reasons for the romance, nicely summed up with: "She loved him for the man he was".

Johnny looking to his big brother for advice regarding courtship was humorous. The advise of poetry, proved to be a good one. It is hard to go wrong with the use of the "Sonnets From The Portuguese". Especially with the added lines that were from Johnny.
October 23, 2016.
Guest chapter 4 . 10/22/2016
In westerns, lots have been alluded to about the physical side of sex. But taking that physical aspects, to the next level is is not often tackled. You are to be applauded. It is very difficult to put the spiritual nature of sex into words. Not only was it beautifully broached, but was made even more remarkable, given by a male perspective.
In this case, Johnny's POV. Many Fan Fiction stories have been written about Johnny enjoying a "poke" with a bar girl. But Johnny's explanation, of sexual love, to someone that had never experienced it, was elegant in its simplicity. " It becomes a song, a sacrament, a way for two separate people to become as close to being the same person.."
Now , I realize that this series is about Johnny and the
Widow Morris. But because of what happened next in the story, I am pleading for another back story to be written.
One that takes place before, Johnny met the Widow.

When asked if he had "ever felt that way about a woman", Johnny replied: "I have " He offered nothing more. It is extremely unfair to taunt a reader with such
An obvious back story waiting to be revealed. ( even if
Johnny only reminisced to himself in a flash back). This was a very remarkable woman, from Johnny's past. He knew the difference about spiritual love because of her.
What happened to her? What happened to them? I am only a reader, not a creative writer. But, since, this tease
Is put out in this story, would you please consider - The rest of the story?
October 22 2016.
Guest chapter 3 . 10/20/2016
At some point, one would think that the past, would have to be addressed. Especially if disclosure was the only way to absolution.
Emily knew the kind of man Johnny Lancer was - It was time to tell her about Madrid.

Since the backstory of Madrid is left to the imagination,
This interpretation in credible.
( especially, liked the reason, Johnny did not stay in the army: " He was expected to follow orders even if they were stupid").

"Accepting" proved to be a great title.
First there is Johnny, accepting of his past.
Then there is Emily, accepting of his past.
Last there is Tramp, accepting of their laughter. Loved the last line.
October 20, 2016.
Guest chapter 2 . 10/19/2016
Chapter 2.
"It was unusual to see Johnny nearly still, deep in though, for such an extended period".
With Johnny acting differently, the gig, was up. Scott's and Murdoch's reactions to Johnny's confidences, were quiet lovingly accepted. Yet it is humorous, when family members try to understand what attracts one person to another. The longer Johnny talks, the more Murdoch and Scott see Emily in a new perspective. And by seeing Emily through Johnny's eyes, they see a new side of Johnny.
One touching insight, had Murdoch wondering if Emily could help Johnny "get over the bad stuff". In " Talking",
About his early childhood, Emily, does just that, for Johnny.

It is almost as if Johnny needed to come back to Lancer, to experience the love of his blood father and brother.
He is now ready to experience the love of a mate that will complete him.
He and Emily need one another. When they are with each other, they are not alone anymore.
Only time will tell, if by being together, they bring out the best of each other.
October 19, 2016.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/18/2016
Chapter 1,
This interpretation of Johnny Lancer, is incredibly endearing. Many of the insights into his character are very thoughtful and thought provoking. One can understand why a gunfighter might be resistant about large fiestas. Yet the reasons, given, are not necessarily the ones you might expect. Likewise, " His legendary ability to read a man's intentions did not apply to women".
Very intriguing.

It was a chuckle, that Johnny, while trying to avoid the party, sought sanctuary in the house. He noticed that a kindred spirit was attempting to do the same. In his curiosity, he forgot his dessert.
It is here, Johnny Lancer, becomes more than just the observer. But what he does observe: this quiet solitary,
Woman, is different.

It is about this time that this reader's curiosity is peaked,
along with Johnny's. One begins to wonder: what type of woman would appeal to the other side of Johnny Lancer.

The "crazy animal lady", so refreshingly presented here,
is a real contender. As Johnny is shown to be good with animals as well, they share that in common. People that have an affinity and a connection with animals, over the human variety, may often have an understanding of nature, that others do not. Emily is intriguing because she is not like other women. She is intelligent and not afraid of it; true to herself; concerned more with the inner being than the outer being; is a quiet observer; doesn't play games; and is genuine.

And Johnny, " He couldn't wait to know her better".
That is exactly the sentiments of this reader.
October 18, 2016.
Guest chapter 1 . 5/23/2016
Looking forward to reading more about Emily and Tramp.
Guest chapter 8 . 2/22/2013
She is a unique woman and i am so pleased to see this side of Johnny, the patient gentle mischevious open heart, painting such a beautiful picture of what could be, together.
solista chapter 8 . 2/22/2013
Beautiful. Thank you.
solista chapter 7 . 2/21/2013
Johnny was always afraid to love someone.
Hold on to her Johnny, she's a keeper.
Guest chapter 6 . 2/16/2013
This was an excellant story. I like the Widow Morris. She seems exactly the kind of woman right for Johnny's character,unconventional, non-judgemental and able to provide him a safe place to be himself. I loved when you wrote Johnny demonstrating just sitting at the family dinner's, chewing and smiling.
solista chapter 6 . 2/10/2013
Really enjoying this read. Good take on Johnny's childhood.

Thanks
Guest chapter 5 . 2/9/2013
this is such a poignant story. The widow morris is a wonderful character and I love how Johnny responds to her and she to him.