Reviews for What We Saw From the Outside
sorc chapter 16 . 10/11
I am so d*mn impressed with this story.

You managed to actually write believeable yet likeable teenagers. Oh holy, this was so good.

The way you wrote Link felt so real. Self centered, egoistic, but honestly trying after all.

And Zelda, how tender you've been with her as a character, how closely you described her without even showing us her thoughts. Incredible, really.

I am often pretty annoyed with stories about mental illnesses, since they often glorify sickness and confusing empathy with shared experiences, but you story never felt arrogant to me. It felt very American and to me (a European) it of course sounds absurd that the entire school would cheer for the football team or there even being something like pep meetings, I know that those things do exist and everything still felt realistic to me.

What I also like is that not every character arc had its own ending, that not all loose strands are tied, because that is just how it is in real life and not everything gets talked out and not everyone is redeemed. I liked that.

I also like that you managed to have Sheik come out at the perfect moment and yet make the reader feel like Sheik actually should not be in Zelda's life. "Sheik's" (and other very dangerous aspects of mental illnesses) are often glorified in stories, but you never did that.

Seriously, this was incredible. Hats off to you.
Sorc chapter 1 . 10/9
Oh my. Oh my. I am in love. First chapter and I am hooked.
Skoof chapter 16 . 9/27
This was my favorite fic when I was 14, as well as my comfort fic. I have fond memories of keeping up with every update, staying up all night re-reading chapters, and just generally fantasizing about what would happen. I've been feeling super nostalgic lately and decided to re-read this for old times sake. Though reading things in first person feels weird now, I enjoyed it a lot. This may not be the absolute literature masterpiece that I remembered as a teenager. But the plot, characters, and storyline were still able to worm their way into my heart just the same.
Reeeeeder chapter 16 . 4/7
I loved this story. I cannot tell you how relieved I was when I saw there was a chapter 15
Philip chapter 8 . 12/21/2020
WRITERS BLOCK. IS. MY. WORST. ENEMY. AS. WELL. right now I am writing a book on the Battle of the bulge (I may or may not be a history geek)
Philip chapter 6 . 12/21/2020
Ayrll is to me annoying
Philip chapter 5 . 12/21/2020
I once got really hurt playing football, and you want to know something, it was only a "fake" football game with my classmates.
Philip chapter 4 . 12/21/2020
I didn't even know this disorder was a thing
Philip chapter 3 . 12/21/2020
oh here comes love
Philip chapter 2 . 12/21/2020
hmm
fan chapter 16 . 10/30/2020
i don't usually write reviews but holy shit this is one of the best fanfics i've ever read. i literally couldn't stop crying at certain chapters and your writing is just wow. the characters were so interesting to see and i love the mental illness representation. writing zelda's alter egos and other forms as MID for a modern au was genius.
fononya chapter 10 . 10/20/2020
The fact that Link was mouthing the word with her is making me cry so much, i can't, this story is beautiful
VideoGameAddict7 chapter 1 . 9/12/2020
Ok, I read this entire fanfic, and seriously, you should teach a class. You are an amazing writer and I love your descriptions and imagery. You really made me feel for the characters. You did an amazing job.
VideoGameAddict7 chapter 9 . 9/12/2020
Omg this thing made me cryyyyy you are such a good author I swear I’m dying
Guest chapter 1 . 9/6/2020
Hi, I just want to say, I read this many years ago and I still think about it until now. It's such a great story.