Reviews for Opening The Chamber Of Secrets
The Crownless Queen chapter 1 . 5/28/2013
Nice story :) It's actually the first time I read about Myrtle's death but i really liked what you did here. Tom sounded really IC, and I loved your use of your prompts :p
And it was really well written too, and I really liked that you showed the creation of the ghost. It really was original, or at least i thought so.
Good work :)
silver-nightstorm chapter 1 . 2/24/2013
Interesting take on the events of Myrtle's death. personally, I think you strayed too far from canon to make it plausible for me. Another thing is that when she was running after Olive insulted her, I don't think Myrtle would have called her by her full name.. it doesn't seem natural, you know?
TrueBeliever831 chapter 1 . 2/24/2013
Well, it's not really canon compliant... seeing Myrtle said she didn't know what killed her... but I really did enjoy this... I'm not sure about the dialogue... but I liked the narration... well done.
articcat621 chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
I've never read anything like this before! Brilliant job! Tom was so in character, his thoughts and actions were so like him. The heartlessness of him and lack of remorse was so realistic and you wow, it was just great! Well done! :)
HedwigBlack chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
I love what you did here. When I first read the prompt "Any similarities between you and a human are completely coincidental." I was expecting someone to say that to Tom. So it was interesting how you used it here and the way you included everything we know from canon about Tom during this time. Myrtle's ghost making him think about death and Horcruxes and such was also a lovely twist. :)
Lil'MissChris chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
A few things that struck me as odd. I don't think "my bad" is a phrase that would be used in the 40s. I could be wrong though.

There are a few spelling typos that I noticed. The main one is rapport which I think you mean report? Either way, this was an interesting take on the death of Myrtle. Very dark stuff and some of the lines were shudder-worthy.
AnneNevilleReviews chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
You've managed to capture in snapshots the cruelty of children and the arrogance and superiority of Tom Riddle, Jr. It amuses me to think of Tom being the object of too much female attention. It would seem his ego is large—and that he is every bit as magnetic as a sociopath can be. I like the way you bookend your story by beginning with that reflection, and ending with Tom musing about the Horcruxes that turn him into the (outward) monster that he becomes. Here are a couple things I particularly like:

[ But the death was quite interesting to watch actually.] This line is chilling. I can feel Tom's evil here. Same with this line: ["Dead. And good riddance."]. The way he dismisses Myrtle's ghost with “good riddance” sounds like an evil McGonagall . . . there's a certain starchy Puritanism to the words that contrasts with the evil of his action. Well done.

I noticed a few typos in this one, just fyi:

[he would rapport him] I think you mean “report”. ;-)
[the Mudblood girl had spurred on his irritating ] irritation?
[The replied eagerly and slid out of the opening.] the Basilisk?
["The world is better of without you."] better off?
The Original Horcrux chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
Despite the fact that this isn't what happens in canon, I actually think that I like this one better than the canon version. It shows more of Tom's personality and how cruel he was even before he became Voldemort. I do feel sorry for Myrtle though, nobody deserves to be teased and kids can be really cruel.

""Oh, you're so clever and all aren't you? You think killing people makes them like you? It doesn't, it just makes them…"

"Dead. And good riddance.""
- AVPM REFERENCE! I almost died when I saw it, this was such a good place to put it ohmygod and it's such a Tom thing to say!

I really liked this story! Well done

Keep up the amazing work and DFTBA
Nayla xx
starlight.moon.princess chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
[See, I've done the world a favour, he thought, no one misses a Mudblood when they're dead.] Very, very creepy statement, and just what I'd imagine Voldemort thinking. This is well done, and very chilling :)
Exceeds Expectations chapter 1 . 2/18/2013
I don't think that's something I've ever seen before...alive!Myrtle!

But seriously, this was really interesting to read. I love Tom's cold, callous remarks, how detached he seems from it all. The ending especially, because that just sums up the warped way in which his mind works, you know? Very interesting.

And the obligatory AVPM love comment ;)
Forever Siriusly Sirius chapter 1 . 2/11/2013
Oooh this was darkish. Tom is quite the sadist, taking pleasure from watching myrtle die, although that seems to be consistent with his character. Personally this actualky made me hate young tom riddle more than I did before, his constant referal to Myrtle as a Mudblood, the way he said 'no one misses a Mudblood when they're dead' and how he actually thought he was doing the world a favour was quite sick. Also I pitied myrtle and genuienly felt really really bad for her in this, being bullied like that and seeing how low people think of her is really horrible.
Overall though this was well written and i have never felt like this tiwards myrtle, it was kind of an eye opener to see her in school. Nice job!
our dancing days chapter 1 . 2/10/2013
This was a really interesting point of view; the thing that made it was the dialogue for me - it was so realistically written and very cold on Tom's side. You described it in a way that left little to the imagination because it was so easy to picture the scene. And that last line was a great ending, such a twisted view on life and so beautifully worded. Well done!
autumn midnights chapter 1 . 2/7/2013
I don't think I've ever read a fic that's solely about Tom Riddle murdering Myrtle - it was interesting to read, though, since the moment's never actually been expanded upon. Tom seems very in-character, and his disregard for Myrtle's life and annoyance with her really shows his personality very well. I like that you remembered Olive Hornby, as well, and included her in the fic. Myrtle's characterization is done well, too, and I like that you gave her a last name - Myrtle Miller sounds very good, in my opinion, for her. My only criticism is that I don't think Myrtle actually saw Tom - wouldn't she have reported him, if she had? I seem to recall in canon that Myrtle says she opened the door and just saw a pair of 'great yellow eyes'. Overall, though, I think you did a great job with this fic, especially with Tom's characterization.
Lillia-Lillia chapter 1 . 2/6/2013
I definitely enjoyed the expansion and more details on this section on CoS. You definitely did Myrtle justice as the annoying, petulant girl whose shadow we meet a good fifty years later. I do wonder why the ghost of Myrtle never told anyone who had been responsible for her death...

Tom was also very well done in this fic. He was quite heartless indeed and showed no remorse over killing those he deemed himself superior to. Great work!
lowi chapter 1 . 2/5/2013
Oh, this was an interesting take on this event! I think you portrayed Tom really well here, his thoughts and actions fitted his character very well in my opinion.

I also think you showed Myrtle very well, and Olive.

Very well written, as your stories always are. :)

Great work!