Reviews for The Dragon and the Bow
Concolor44 chapter 21 . 7/17
Wow. That's some real character improvement on Astrid's part. Impressive.

Once this group gains some cohesion, they are going to be Epic.
SilverGold71 chapter 40 . 7/16
I found this work not long ago, and I want to complement you on it, especially how the different stories/movies are woven together. It would be interesting to know what Peter Jackson and Antonio Banderas would think of this work. A question I have about a piece in this last chapter. It was...

Andra muttered something with a large smile on his face. Everyone looked at him for a moment before turning their attentions to Will for a translation. Will looked like a frightened deer for a moment before chuckling.
"Andra said he's happy ye're feelin' better," Will said, ignoring the glare Andra was giving him, clearly indicating that was not, in fact, what the young man had said.

What did Andra really say? Or is that being left open?

Thanks again.
Concolor44 chapter 20 . 7/16
Heh. It's about time. Serendipity strikes again! (Well, that, and Merida's self-confidence.)
Concolor44 chapter 17 . 7/16
Astrid's about due for some major realizations. Gothi's title of "Wise Woman" seems well-deserved.
Concolor44 chapter 10 . 7/13
This was by FAR the best chapter yet.

Now I'm just waiting on the other shoe to drop ...
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 40 . 6/19
Overall, a very good bit of work, to say the least.
The idea of Hiccup and Merida in an arranged marriage is a simple concept, but it takes a great writer to make it any more than an average plot, and you clearly put a great deal of work into developing the circumstances behind the original deal and how their feelings develop after their first meeting.
Considering canon developments, Merida’s attempted intervention in the initial ceremonial challenge certainly fit her character, and subsequent events as she’s forced to stay on Berk and face various anti-Highland prejudices definitely makes for interesting reading, particularly when Hiccup attempts to take action to confirm that he’s not just like all of Merida’s assumptions and genuinely is interested in getting to know her as more than just part of their treaty. The steps that lead up to them forming a more friendly bond prior to shooting down Toothless all work out in a very plausible manner, and while I wish they’d done more as a couple rather than including Fishlegs in the early stages, you certainly included some very nice moments between the two of them, ranging from their first kiss to their first night together.
Your new ideas regarding Merida’s witch associate and the history of the Red Death are definitely dramatic, and while I question Hiccup’s worship of Loki given some of his more ambiguous actions in the myths- even without killing Balder, he sent Thor into a few traps just because he felt like it- your twists regarding the Red Death were certainly chilling, making it far more than just a big dragon without changing anything about its fundamental essence.
The final bit with Loki felt a bit off, but I assume he’s part of your wider plans for this series, particularly with the next story’s ties to ‘Rise of the Guardians’, so I can put that aside in favour of approving of your exceptional take on a Hiccup/Merida relationship that lets both develop while still giving them each important roles that are true to their characters.
However, that ties into the only real problem I have with this story; I have no problem with Fishlegs as a character, but I just don’t think that he and Astrid work as a couple. Astrid was drawn to Hiccup in canon for his compassion, courage and intelligence, but while Fishlegs cares just as much as Hiccup, he doesn’t have the same kind of nerve that Hiccup has demonstrated (as shown in his more active attempts to be part of the group where Hiccup was still doing things his own way to a degree), and he’s always struck me as more of a raw intellectual as opposed to Hiccup’s natural smarts, with Fishlegs just gathering knowledge without any ability to really USE it on his own.
The Hiccup/Merida pairing was fine, but it felt like you included the Astrid/Fishlegs elements just to give Astrid a different partner as though she would otherwise be ‘defined’ by the lack of a relationship with Hiccup unavailable, rather than leave her single and keep her options open in the future. The two of them being friends as Fishlegs was the only guy in the group who wasn’t hitting on her worked, but I just don’t think of him as Astrid’s type.
Bezerker21 chapter 40 . 5/20
Holy... This is the best crossover ive ever read. You added so mych depth to the characters and expanded on the story a lot. In terms of writing and style, excellent grammer and everything, and i liked how even though sensitive topics were addressed, like having a first kill, the tone was still very lighthearted and true to the spirit of the story, it was not overly dark (looking at you batman v superman). All in all great story, cant wait to read the second one. Bezerker21 out!
Z.R. Stein chapter 40 . 3/21
I have only one word to say: beautiful.

This story was absolutely beautiful. I did feel you stole alot of lines and songs from the Peter Jackson Hobbit trilogy, but whatever, it was epic. I look forwards to the sequel and will be following everything you do with great interest from now on.
mikeg5150 chapter 6 . 1/31
geez a quarter of the way into chapter 6 and I still hate this girl, if it's Astrid that puts her in her place I'll drop this stoy sorry she is just not likable at all, and so far not even a modern example of a moderately strong male character (I know that isn't popular these days) but really everybody bends to this spoiled brat AND she somehow has very loyal friends that love and fear her it's a bit much
WriterGreenReads chapter 17 . 11/25/2015
I looooove this. I especially love how you mixed both the book and the movieverse together! It's super cool, and it all fits so well.
Guest chapter 4 . 11/21/2015
This is good, have a little difficult reading it in my head
Whiterun guard chapter 1 . 9/27/2015
Let me guess someone stole your sweet roll
Guest chapter 40 . 9/19/2015
hey DUDE, when can we expect a sequel to this? ive been checking up on a monthly basis and cant wait for your release.
Yuyui Hime chapter 9 . 8/16/2015
How sweet of Hiccup to make a bow for Merida!
Yuyui Hime chapter 7 . 8/16/2015