Reviews for An Old Victorian Tradition
HavenCraze chapter 1 . 5/20/2013
D'awww That was sooo them! So adorably cute!
Rairakku1234 chapter 1 . 2/8/2013
'When John came home and saw the kissing ball hanging in the doorway between their kitchen and living room he was convinced Mrs. Hudson was matchmaking once more.'

Hahahaha. I love that his first thought is Mrs. Hudson not Sherlock . :)

Yet, as Sherlock loved to declare, "Once you've ruled out the impossible, whatever remains – however improbable – must be true."

Absoulutely fantastic use of cannon :)

'Three weeks earlier their shared table in the living room had been flooded with books on flowers. A florist had been murdering certain clients and leaving specific flowers at each crime scene. Sherlock's research on the meaning attached to each flower had caught the criminal before a fifth victim had been chosen.'

Sounds like a fun case :)

"I suppose," Sherlock answered. "But afterwards I have to find out when the reception for the mayor is to be held at the aquarium. I think our jewel thief is going to strike there next since all the high society wives will be in attendance."

I love that you were careful to keep them each themselves. Plus again another intersting sounding case.

'Unless he ordered another one after...'

Hahahahaha
Great ending.
Rairakku
TheGameMrsHudsonIsAfoot chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
Oh, how beautiful and well written! I didn't know about kissing balls... that's definitely something I'm going to store away in my memory for the future.

I loved "Sherlock once voiced a dislike of flowers because they lacked purpose" so Sherlock, and he certainly gave these ones a purpose! I remember in one of the ACD stories he stops to admire a rose... my memory is really fuzzy on it, but I'm sure Watson was stunned, or at least should have been! (But was it for a case or not... this will require re-reading)

I like the idea that they're not 'gay' as such, they've just fallen so in love with each other.

And the last line... beautiful! Perfect for a quiet rainy morning, I want to go and buy myself some flowers!
Mirith Griffin chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
I didn't know about the tradition of the kissing ball! The Victorians. Is there nothing they didn't know?

I get a kick out of how nervous and tentative Sherlock is once he's been discovered. It's a lovely touch.
Ennui Enigma chapter 1 . 1/29/2013
Aw! terribly poetic with the flowers and the subtle meanings. Love it! Thank you. I love codes - this is like a flower cipher and John did superbly in deciphering it! Yay, John :)

And - I'm ready to order one of those kissing balls now too. LOL!

"I would also be agreeable to such a situation as long as it was with you."
"Good," John said as he finally gave the man he loved a kiss." - beautiful, tender, sweet moment!

Thank you. Thank you! Wonderful Christmas, New Years, and almost Valentine's Day gift :-D
johnsarmylady chapter 1 . 1/24/2013
Wow, that's beautiful! I'd forgotten how canny those Victorians were with their secret messages!
Monotufu chapter 1 . 1/24/2013
Definitely my favorite first kiss story for them. They kiss, and then back to business. It's so adorably them. :) I love it!
AiLoveS chapter 1 . 1/24/2013
Adorable
HarnGin chapter 1 . 1/24/2013
Thanks to this story, I looked up the history of kissing balls/bells. We are going to use them to decorate the wedding tent when my sister and her husband renew their vows in December. Thanks for giving us a great idea in a charming story.
MapleleafCameo chapter 1 . 1/24/2013
Love this! Really like this idea of the silent love note - as you said :'The two had always been able to communicate without speaking aloud. As if they were in sync.'
I love the dawning realization John has as he comes to the conclusion that the only man he's attracted to is Sherlock and its not just physical attraction.
I absolutely love the continuation of the silent communication by having Sherlock discover Johns research on his computer & his notes:'His view became very interesting when his flatmate froze. John could hear the wheels turning in Sherlock's mind as he took in the information and then the paper lying nearby.'
And this part: 'Secure in the knowledge Sherlock had indeed meant to send John a message, the doctor decided it was only fair he bare his soul as well.'
This was fantastic!