Reviews for There Is No Upper Hand
atypeoftangerine chapter 1 . 8/30/2014
This is so, so adorable! I've read this, like, a million times but I guess I never reviewed, which I totally should've earlier, but I thought I did... whatever. The fact remains that this is so cute. I love the beginning, when he gives her the sandwich because his friends say she has an eating disorder... I just find it cute that he gives her a sandwich... and I'm almost always listening to music, so in the grand tradition of my reviews, I will be telling you what song I listened to while I read this... it was Grand Theft Autumn by Fall Out Boy, whig went so cite because I can just picture Beck saying the "where is your boy tonight" part. Sorry for the long review but this was just adorbs so... :)
Dawnmist of RiverClan chapter 1 . 2/6/2013
Great story! I like your style.
Jeremy Shane chapter 1 . 2/2/2013
Groovy Chapter & More Please
Cassandra's Destiny chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
"...and the butterfly has finally landed on his finger and now he has to focus on not scaring it away by doing something stupid, like sneezing or speaking too loudly." This line is so perfect, and so perfectly Beck and Jade, that I can't even deny how big the smile was on my face while reading this.

I like how, despite not following the episodes, you had some details from them here and there - details like the hoagie (Does Beck always have a hoagie in his bag?), Jade's 8th grade 'transformation' (which Beck, of all people, must've appreciated), and yoga class (No one ever talks about yoga, but obviously someone should.)

I love how you used your prompt, and this is really a wonderful piece of work.
khay chapter 1 . 1/29/2013
Stefanie! This is not "bad at romance so a proposal fic would be a nightmare to me to write"!

As usual, I love Jade's voice in this fic, and for someone who's worried about Beck's characterization, you nailed him perfectly here.

I love how it's an AU, a different take on Bade, but it's still them.

'The plan sort of flops, though, when Jade snarls at all the girls who are apparently admiring his butt during downward dog.'
- I was in my office reading this on my phone, pretending that I'm emailing someone super important when I snorted a laugh. So thanks. (I love how you sneaked in the comedy there) :)

'"I bet they have scholarships, Jade," he says...They do, but she doesn't get them.'
-After making me laugh, you made me sad. You're awesome.

'... that's probably the reason why their break up is such a mess, with all the jagged edges of a cut by a dull blade...She could have told him that this is what happens when you play with safety scissors. Good intentions but nothing to show for it but a botched job and sore fingers.'
'It's a tiring struggle as the rest of the world slowly becomes unveiled to them, but they keep their hold on each other.'
'He's probably looking for a love story that she doesn't know how to write.'
-Your imageries/methapors are perf. I wish I could write like this.

'"It's your favorite type of band, Jade!" He gleefully raises the volume. "Canadian!"'
-Aaah! Comedy after the drama. Love, love, love this fic. Love, love, love you :)

'"I don't know why you picked me."..."You gave me a sandwich once,"..."My sandwich offering won you over?"'
-Excellent use of the prompt, btw. Perf. :)

And then, the proposal. Love it. It was perfect. Write more? :)
boughtthedream chapter 1 . 1/27/2013
Such a great AU.

This part has me cracking up because it's something I can imagine them doing: "It's your favorite type of band, Jade!" He gleefully raises the volume. "Canadian!"

When I saw this prompt on the list I wondered how someone could pull it off but you did and it's great.
ElisaCollette chapter 1 . 1/26/2013
Very cute. I think the different time periods were perfect accents and moved along smoothly. You definitely captured Jade's insecurities but also the reasons she and Beck work so well together. Great job!
Venus Beauty chapter 1 . 1/26/2013
awww...thats so sweet! i love this story! :)
puns and roses chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
I love the slight AU-ness of this! You have no idea how refreshing it is to read! Especially since most of the fandom is so used to the tropes of their relationship that it can get so repetitive in fics.

After all, one can only stand 'Easy is boring' in fics for so long before it can get kind of annoying every time it's brought up.

But with this fic, and the way you wrote it, everything seems so fresh and new! :D it's like i'm reading about a totally different relationship but at the same time not, do you get me? Also, it's not like all the other AU's where i have to adjust my state of mind because everything is different, with this everything is so familiar and i know it but at the same time it's different.

Lol, not sure if that made sense. Sorry :P but that's exactly how this story made me feel and i loved every single word of it!

Great job! :D
floridakil0s chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
Aw, I adored this. So well written and beautiful. I love when authors write in little clips, giving us just small glimpses of moments of their life together. You did a really great job!
1Styx and Stones1 chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
Oh, gosh, this is just gorgeous... And such an interesting AU, if Jade hadn't been able to go to Hollywood Arts...

But what really stands out, as always, is just your perfect writing. I know it sounds weird, but I really appreciate pretty phrasing and diction and imagery, and that's part of the reason I love this story.

Good job! :)
DarkHeart89 chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
This is so great I want to cry ;-;

Just...I love it. Amazing job.