Reviews for The Book of Kain: The Musical
persevera chapter 1 . 12/10/2013
This is actually a very clever synopsis of the relationship between Kain and Raziel.
As someone who has followed along with their story line and, more importantly, whose only knowledge of them is this particular author's interpretation, supplemented by a little Wiki, I recognized all the tropes.
We have Kain's megalomania and sense of entitlement, Raziel's rebellion, the multi-generational father-son battle coupled with need for approval, and in the end Raziel's resolve not to be dictated by the Wheel of Fate, but to try to change it.
It's easy to see why you would have been inspired by this particular number to express the complicated relationship.
Not only does the sentiment of Mostly Me, fit Kain to a T (suggesting some kind of partnership with his first born but not being able to keep himself from crowing that he'll get the lion's share of credit and reward) but the whole idea of a life dictated by a stronger force of duty, tradition and promise of great reward in the future is much in keeping with Mormon ideals and tenets of religious devotion in general.
Hasegawa-Michiyo chapter 1 . 7/5/2013
Haha this is fantastic. You did an awesome portrayal of both characters; Raziel's snarky attitude and Kain, self indulgent. You flawlessly snuck in parts of the story into the song, quite fluently (It's something I've foreseen: with Moebius's time machine) totally cracked up at that part.

Its even better when you listen to the song while you read it haha. Love how you ended it. The only sad thing is, there isn't a video of this ;P.
Debrah Clachair chapter 1 . 3/26/2013
I missed "The Book of Mormon" (still hope to see it), so I don't know how much of this is that show and how much is you but knowing Raziel and Kain as I do from your two "Pit" stories and from "Time Streamer," I found this hilarious and in character. Kain is egotistical, exuberant, full of plans and eager to involve Raziel-but only if Raziel is subordinate to him. Raziel is serious, annoyed at Kain, and tells himself he wants to kill him-but he never would.

The bits of description of Raziel's actions make the scene even clearer. I picture Raziel caught up in Kain's plans so that he sings some of the lines before he goes sotto voce "(Why are we singing?)" and that most of his lines are shouted rather than sung.

I also like that at the very beginning, part of Kain's inspiration is to make *his* mentor, Vorador, proud of him. It's a nice parallel to the unresolvable relationship between him and his own "son," Raziel.
lovely-logic chapter 1 . 3/18/2013
Hahaha I really like this. I know this is for Book of Kain, but the relationship between the two reminds me a lot of Jack Sparrow and Will Turner. Jack's always got the spotlight and Will constantly brings up the rear. I love that Raziel actually questionings the singing but eventually gives in and joins the fun :) This is a welcome departure from the seriousness that surrounds most LoC stories.

Also, the little actions between stanzas reads exactly like a play. I can actually picture a two burly men clad in armor singing "how psyched are we?!". The last line- "I'm going to kill him" was classic. I smiled through the whole thing. Good job!
Tomoe Yamagawa chapter 1 . 3/17/2013
Its stupid, but, in a funny way thats lovable. I love Raziel's reactions to Kain's singing and hiis last line. Maybe I should make someone in my crossover force Raziel to sing, like Kain did in this fan fiction. Thanks for the giggles.
StormRex Lancer chapter 1 . 2/6/2013
First thing first, I am not too familiar with the poem itself. However, I can see that this song is about how two close person wanted to change their destiny but one of the two, in this case, Raziel, wanted to stop Kain.

The characters which sung the lyrics described the characters' motivations and enemies well. Raziel is determined to kill Kain, and Kain is just a greedy, paranoid brother. No grammar, punctuation or spelling error. And it's rather short one-shot based on the song, so a solid good job :)
Edhla chapter 1 . 2/4/2013
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I absolutely love that you've written this. I mean, I love the serious-serious Raziel and Kain angst, but this little ficlet parody of mocking and win is just great.

I'm not familiar with the original work, so I don't know which parts are you and which parts are the original lines. (Incidentally, careful about that, lest the no-songfic-copyright-violations mob hunt you down and remove this, which would suck muchly.)

What really stands out to me in this fic (aside from Kain's cheerful arrogance which is perfect) is the sense of poor Raziel, initially horrified, quickly being roped into these singing shenanigans and temporarily forgetting everything between himself and Kain... until he remembers he's meant to be on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge. I just about shot tea through my nose at that last line, and the mood whiplash.

Snerk. Love it :D
CheddarTrek chapter 1 . 1/31/2013
Hah! Neat. I know it wasn't based on the "Crom" song that Arnold sings on YouTube based on Conan the Barbarian, but the way you have the names capitalizied and bolded made me immediately think of it. This is a good thing.

The description later "eyes shining with bold determination" makes me think of the Impossible Dream from Man of le Mancha - another good thing!

This is one of the only "song fics" I've ever read that managed to do it right. Well done. The humor you interspersed with the lyrics added just the right touch to things, and if you hadn't had that I don't think I'd have gotten into it (since I don't know the fandom). Cheers
GreenGlassCannon42 chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
I have passing knowledge of the Legacy of Kain and I didn't think you could connect that with lyrics from the Book of Mormon: The musical. You proved me wrong in a good way.

Kain is...not a easy character to understand, given his actions over the course of his many games, but you captured his arrogance quite well here! Having RAZIEL be both the straight vampire and the one that doesn't sing only makes the song funnier and fits with how the later acts during the LOK series.

Whoever was singing Kain's lines must have been a real egotist and those same line fit Kain to a tee. He wants to reshape the world in his image and his alone and when you factor how much power he has right now and how easily he can hold Raziel in place is both a funny sight and a terrifying one as well.

Kain wants to change his destiny and after reading about what he can do now, he very well may just do that. In closing this is darkly humorous songfic and the chosen song works with the Legacy of Kain series. It was great reading about one of my favorite anti-heroes growing again and I look forward to hearing more about what Raziel will do from you.