Reviews for The greatest gift and honor
conservativegirl chapter 2 . 2/3/2013
Aww, poor Kate! Great chapter:)
Deb838 chapter 2 . 2/1/2013
Our hair really does define us (sadly) in so many aspects of our life. Nicely done.
Deb838 chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
Nice...
I started this off terrified that we were going to lose Castle or Beckett, or maybe even Alexis... I was so relieved this wasn't the case
Shena1 chapter 2 . 1/31/2013
That is one of my favourite "Mulan" scenes! Sacrificing one identity to take on another one for the greater good. It parallels Kate v.s Detective Beckett so well!

This is kind of how I imagined it... why Beckett had short hair before Castle entered the picture. (I remember cutting off all of my long hair 10 years ago when I was in my early 20s and starting my profession. Long hair made me look so young - it was hard for some people to take me seriously. So I cut it off... and what went through Beckett's head really rang true for what went though my head.

It's not "just hair"... it's your identity. And changing your hair changes how people perceive you.

Great chapter!

(If you feel so inspired, the scene in "Mulan" when Chang's army finds the doll in the snow could work for a very emotional story for Beckett... or Castle)
AML15 chapter 1 . 1/31/2013
Wow. Not only is this poignant and well-written, you also tied in my favorite childhood movie! LOVE THIS! :)
Mark C chapter 2 . 1/31/2013
I can completely understand Kate's thinking behind the hair issue. But to cut it ALL off is a bit extreme. Unfortunately, her mindset at the time says otherwise.

You captured Kate's drive to be accepted and determination very well. By showing that, it displayed how she became the detective that she is when she meets Rick Castle for the first time.
southerngirl1 chapter 2 . 1/31/2013
I can so see Kate doing this when she was a new detective!
I'm Widget chapter 2 . 1/31/2013
I really don't understand what's going on with her in this story. Maybe I'm dense.
JennaBennett chapter 2 . 1/31/2013
Oh lord. I love this so much. Mulan and Castle, possibly a stranger combination than expected but somehow works perfectly. Also, how can anyone not have seen Mulan?! Nothing screams deprived childhood more...
SassaM chapter 2 . 1/31/2013
Really nice that hair story! Especially since I miss Becketts short hairstyling on the series sometimes. All the women from victims to suspects and main cast on Castle have just the same length and way to wear their hair, only in different colors... kind of boring and everything but authentic. Only thing that bothers me are the shoes. One would think heels are more of a problem than long hair. But the hairstyling is somehow symbolically really important. I think you caught that very well
Guest chapter 2 . 1/30/2013
Interesting. More Caskett and dealing with the press.
eyrianone chapter 2 . 1/30/2013
Ill let you in on a secret, I loved her shorter hair. And I loved this.
bluedaisy05 chapter 2 . 1/30/2013
Hahaha! All homework should be the enjoyable :)

Another great chapter. And I don't have particularly awesome or frustrating hair, but it is a definite feature that contributes to my self image, so I think your analysis is spot-on. And I love how you intimate that after Castle comes onto the scene, she learns how to be both Det. Beckett and Kate.
lv2bnsb1 chapter 2 . 1/30/2013
I could have seen that happening. Or also her cutting it off when Will left. A way of starting new and purging. Hopefully if she ever cuts it again she'll donate it to locks of love!
phnxgrl chapter 2 . 1/30/2013
I loved how Kate decided to bob her hair. Please continue.