Reviews for Live By the Sword
Guest chapter 1 . 11/13/2014
Question have you completed the companion stories for the N7 shadow and Cerberus Phoenix/Dragoon yet?
wolfwood3189 chapter 1 . 7/1/2014
You have brought the N7 Slayer of my mind to life. His character was flawless and the uses of sword terms; priceless. I thank you personally because now i know how to write my own.
Lady Amiee chapter 1 . 8/19/2013
This is beautifully done, intense and wonderful, all the things I love in a story. Your prose style is brilliant as always, and I only noticed a few adverbs, but other than that it's brilliant. The sword play, was brilliantly described, easy for someone with little to no knowledge to follow. I love your multi player fictions, they're just so GOOD! Keep em coming baby, love em.
Full-Paragon chapter 1 . 2/5/2013
You have to wonder what the Illusive Man was thinking. How can he claim to serve humanity by enslaving it?
Ygrain33 chapter 1 . 2/5/2013
Finally found the time to get back to this... Your multiplayer pieces are really powerful. It is a great touch, seeing the families divided by Cerberus, engaged in the fight which is not theirs. Good to see someone deliver the payment for their atrocities.
LegionN7 chapter 1 . 2/4/2013
Aside from sniping, I also have a soft spot for the blade. Your experience really made this piece; the motivations and the stondoffs.
Beautiful in a way.
Aeternix chapter 1 . 2/2/2013
A beautiful short story about a Cerberus deserter who went back to save the last thing in the universe that meant something to him. Powerful imagery and beautiful Japenese intertwined make this story unique and stunning. I really like these short stories you write as they convey powerful emotions and diverse situations.
The swordplay was fantastic and wonderful to read, each cut having good weight to it. Though the action was quite good, the highlight for me has to be the character of Devil. I always like when other ethnic groups get represented in stories (the hold no bars white male hero gets tiring after a while) and Devil is a welcome refreshing character. His backstory is poignant yet entirely relevant.
The cherry blossom bit at the end? Gold. Just, solid gold. It would frame that last paragraph and have it in my house on my wall of randomly assorted powerful quotes. It's nice to see when something clicks and creates a spark. That was quite the spark and there was so much life, love, death, rejoice in that line. The cherry blossom is (correct me if I'm wrong) a sign of mortality and the cycle of life. The elegance of that symbol within the meaning of the text works brilliantly and is stunning for those who can read into that.
My only gripe is the first paragraph. The narrator's tone shifts very jarringly and I was confused that it wasn't a character speaking those first few sentences. It felt out of place for the narrative style you gave for the rest of the story. I would suggest separating those first few lines (as they are still amazing) from the first paragraph to ease the jarring nature of the transition. You could also italicize it but I'm not sure if that would work either. It's a minor complaint but it is something to note as it did take me out of the story early on.
But do not take that one complaint as to think that this story is bad. Far from it. This and your asari war story is some of the best writing I have seen of you and I am very very impressed. Not sure which one I like more, Huntress or Live By the Sword. I'm a sucker for Japanese culture so this one may win out in the long run. If I ever wanted to get someone into your writing, this or the Huntress would be a great place to start.
The thought of this being a trilogy excites me and I cannot wait to see more.
Vergil1989 the Crossover King chapter 1 . 2/2/2013
Remind me to never become your enemy there Kendoka Girl. That was pretty messed up, to say the least. ;D He at least got to save his daughter before taking that cruiser down at the end there. I should have read this ages ago. At any rate, you certainly know how to tear apart a Cerberus force. ;D
Hoplite39 chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
Entertaining story with a good plot and an interesting character. I think you got the balance just right between character development and action.

The ending was strange. I can only assume that the protagonist was a very pained individual.
Osage chapter 1 . 1/31/2013
Well damn! Your multiplayer fics never lack for action. It was cool getting inside the head of an N7 Slayer Vanguard. All of the sword strikes were also neat to learn about and were painted very vividly. And was that a reference to Metal Gear with the mention of Raiden?

I look forward to more of your work!
PadawanMage chapter 1 . 1/31/2013
You really do put in a lot of info while writing these fics. )

Nice start, wonder if you'll take this all the way to when Shepard invades Cerberus' main headquarters...?
Inkess chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
I love your multiplayer pieces, and this is no exception. Especially the fight scenes. I always read them carefully, hoping I'll absorb something for my own work.

I feel sorry for Hanzo, although it was a fitting end for him, I guess. I guess that means your characterization succeeded.
thebluninja chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
Poor new-Hanzo. I suppose kamikaze attacks were to be expected. Personally I'm surprised he didn't have a backup pistol to shoot the guns out of their hands, since that works pretty well on anyone except Kai Leng.
Rockycombo chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
Great stuff here. The fight scenes were entertaining and satisfying to read, and you included the more foreign terms well. Your ability to characterize Hanzo in so few words is impressive; I was sad to see him go out like that at the end. But I already understood why he did it. Nice work!
FloridaMagpie chapter 1 . 1/29/2013
Very interesting work. You clearly have considerable technical expertise in swordplay, but you managed to make the action fairly comprehensible nevertheless. I would suggest that perhaps the protagonist's relationship with the third phantom was a bit too obscure. A little more detail on their history might help us understand what he's doing and why.