Reviews for The Mirror Cracked
Sophia the Scribe chapter 1 . 6/21
Hi! I'm leaving this review here because this is one of my favorite of your poems (can't decide between it and Hollow), and I just wanted to say how much I love all of what you've written, both poetry and prose (in the latter category, The One Way Street is amazing!). Please, please keep writing!

I also wanted to drop you a line that I agree with all of what you said on your profile, from the Apostles' Creed to modern-day morality and the state of the nation. I was so glad to find some like-minded people in the world! If you ever wish to talk about anything along those lines, I would be happy to listen (or read...whatever we do over the internet!).

God bless!
~Sophia the Scribe

P.S. Your muses' apartment building is great : )
Peregrin Took the Falcon chapter 1 . 5/12
That really makes a lot of sense. Thanks a lot, that gave me a new idea of how to think about Maglor!
Tai'shar Westernesse chapter 1 . 5/2
Absolutely wonderful. I love your meter, and the theme of the mirror is excellently played out. A lot of poetry on tries too hard, but yours is simply awesome.
ArcherCentauress chapter 1 . 3/21
I love all your Lord of the Rings poems! I am posting this review here, because it is my favorite, but I would love it if you wrote more like any of them!
Winged-Violoncelle chapter 1 . 11/28/2013
You truly do have a knack for poems. Short as it is, this was a beautiful and concise layout of the events of Silm. from Maglor's point of view. In fact this is going into my head-canon as one of the songs he sings as he wanders the roads of ME and grieves in music.

I absolutely suck at critiquing poems technically, so this is going to be very abstract in a sense (think Ariel from The Little Mermaid referring to all the trinkets as 'thingamabobs').

I loved the repetition of the first and last stanza. I'm a huge sucker for conclusion by return, and this, coupled with my soft spot for Maglor, brought out so much feels in me. "The poets muse on Feanor", however, did sound a bit weird to me. I know the number of syllables match, but I feel like the sound of "Feanor" is not... separate enough to make up for the flow the previous line offered (see what I mean by Ariel 'thingamabobs' terminology?). A similar bit stuck out to me in the second stanza with "Each syllable the world's weight"; it sounded just a teeny bit short from the rest of the stanza. The third and last similar encounter I had was with "agony" in stanza 8. I know that all the syllables are right, but I was reading this out loud to myself and I found that I had to really stretch "Feanor", "world's", and "agony" for continuity of flow. This is completely, completely my personal opinion though, and keep in mind I know next-to-nothing about poems :).

My fail at technicalities aside, the imageries were absolutely lovely. And you had some very, very beautiful lines. "Not princes now, nor kings, but thieves". This brought a wow out of me. And "Deep water hide this wretched Jewel!" - expert use of the exclamation mark there; the perfect choice for the only exclamation mark in the entire poem. Oh! You're giving me so many Maglor feels and now I want to write something about him too. Must resist!

Great work and a million thanks for sharing,
WV
Rosawyn chapter 1 . 11/22/2013
Fandom blindness warning: I have not actually read the Silmarillion, but I've been in the LotR fandom for long enough that I'm reasonably familiar with the universe. Still, a bit fandom blind, thus the warning.

A quick Google search tells me that the “Maglor Feanorion” mentioned in the summary is actually the son of the “Feanor” mentioned in the second line. It seems Feanor caused a whole lot of trouble for his sons (and a whole lot of other people too).

I'm going to assume that Maglor is meant to be the speaker of this poem. It seems that he is rightly angry at his father. And, despite being a poet himself, mystified at other poet's apparent infatuation with Feanor. The harshness of his feelings is quite effective and powerful in the final line of the first stanza.

I absolutely love the second stanza here. It seems to be referring to the oath all of Faenor's sons made, but more importantly it has such a wonderfully quick pace (especially the first two lines), and flows beautifully. The quick pace fits very well with the assertion that their words were reckless. I also really love the image of the white-hot script being seared into crackling slate.

The third stanza here is amazing as well. I feel Maglor's deep regret and desperation as he sees all the death and destruction around him, and realizes that the elves he has killed were essentially the same as he is. Very reminiscent of other war poetry where soldiers reflect on how they saw themselves in the eyes of those they killed. I love the beautifully powerful harshness in the image of the “mirror's crack.” (Which is also related to the title of this poem, obviously.)

I must admit I don't know who Dior is or why Maglor doesn't see himself in that particular face. The extended image of the broken mirror continues here. The final lines of this stanza are powerful in their bleakness. Maglor realizes he has lost his grace, and it would seem this is a result of killing so many.

I don't know who Elwing is either, but I appreciate the contrast between how Elwing dies without any dread on his face, and the dread that is clearly present in the faces of Maglor and his brothers. It seems as though Maglor already realized that he was “on the wrong side” of this battle, but there's nothing like a moment like this to really drive the point home.

I especially love the first line of the sixth stanza, where Maglor rejects his royal birth and linage, re-labelling himself as a thief. The second line is also lovely, as he compares himself and those fighting alongside him to careless leaves falling, being tossed about by the cold autumn winds. It's a powerful comparison, considering falling leaves are incapable of hurting anyone, but these are powerful warriors killing everything in their path. The third line calls back to the “thieves” designation in the first line of this stanza.

What stand out to me in the seventh stanza is the final line. I wonder if it's meant to imply that Maglor and his brothers are “dead inside,” or if it means that the golden Vanyar is “dead to them” (as well as being physically dead). Maybe it means both?

The eighth stanza is amazing. I assume the “living light” is the light trapped in the Jewels they have taken. Something so beautiful and pure must indeed be painful to look upon for someone who has just killed so many and feels such a weight of guilt over it. The wonderful, poetic image of Maglor and his brothers leaping into a cracked mirror is so powerful. It somehow conjures up both 'Alice, Through the Looking Glass' and the biblical quote about “though a glass, darkly” while adding the idea of a broken mirror to both.

It seems in the ninth stanza that Maglor is hiding the Jewel under bloody water so he doesn't have to see its light? It also seems as though he cares a lot less at this point about the people he has killed. As though he is now numb to what he has done and what he has become.

The final stanza's repetition of (most of) the first stanza seems to underscore the importance of the words while at the same time suggesting that we are back where we started. The change in the final line suggests the faces Maglor saw himself in. It seems perhaps he wishes his father dead for what he has done.
Bushwah chapter 1 . 11/14/2013
The difference between the first and last verse is beautiful.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/20/2013
Brilliant, with each crack in the mirror a crack in the soul. I enjoyed the flow of the words, they seem to blend seamlessly.

Well Done.

- Valandil of Nargothrond
Guest chapter 1 . 10/19/2013
I found the "Not princes now, nor kings, now thieves/As reckless as the falling leaves... Stanza just brilliant, I found it really captured their place at that time.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/19/2013
Amazing poem, I enjoyed how you wrote Maglor's perspective!
Elf from Downunder chapter 1 . 3/31/2013
This is absolutely beautiful - I love the way it is written. I see it pretty clever using the theme of a cracked mirror. Amazing :)
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 1 . 1/31/2013
Wow, that was absolutely beautiful! I really enjoyed how Maglor takes us through his entire story here; the theme of the mirror throughout was both poignant and fitting for his reflections. And, as always, your language was lovely, too!

Excellent work, Celt! :D
-Crackers
Morgaur chapter 1 . 1/31/2013
Whoa...that is both sad and awesome at the same time. I like the mindset you've given Maglor - I think it's how he would feel then. Nice imagery with the slowly lessening reflections in the faces. I assume that the 'all who might have called me fool are dead' are his brothers - at this point, I'd say Maedhros most of all. Though I can't help feeling that the verse on Feanor is rather harsh. Personally I support Feanor's statement at the Exile about 'deeds worthy of song' or something like that.
And don't worry - I'm patient...
LornaWinters chapter 1 . 1/29/2013
Love it! Thanks for writing!