Reviews for Streets Shorts: Between the Cases
Sylvia Elaine chapter 14 . 3/12
Oh, Daddy dear. Never go through your daughter's drawers! No matter how good your intention it's an absolute NO-NO! And to read her cards tied up in red-ribbon! I was so surprised at Mike invading her privacy like this. But I felt it was a bit like when Steve was surreptitiously investigating Officer Wazinski in Solitaire and Mike bawled him out in his office for invading the man's privacy then, with a smirk on his face, he said "Ok what gives. Tell me what you found out about him". I felt just the same - horrified that Mike had invaded her privacy but then I was like a voyeur desperate to know what was in the cards. Steve's discomfort was palpable. Glad Mike was only teasing him.
Nans chapter 14 . 3/10
This tale of yours brought a smile to my face.
Thank you for sharing.
Chuckle
Nans
Sylvia Elaine chapter 13 . 3/12
You started this piece with Mike in full defence of Steve, his driving abilities and his ability to act instinctively the moment a situation arises. Sometimes too rashly but, hell, he gets the job done. Mike would even trust him with Jeannie but only to drive her. I loved that you flip the story to talk about possible promotions if Mike were to retire or some other scenario. Who would eventually succeed him? I love it that Norm is not suitable because he has too many irons in too many other fires, and solid Dan has no great leadership qualities. This leaves Lessing who's already been shoveled off sideways, and Tanner and Steve. Tanner deserves his promotion. Steve is worthy of promotion with eventual leadership potential but he's just too damn young and inexperienced. Mike's fear of losing his partner and protégé to another department was almost tangible. But the bosses know gold when they see it and they know Steve still needs further nurturing from Mike. A promotion now will give him the incentive he needs to keep plugging away onwards and upwards.

I got so wrapped up in this story I almost felt like a mother hen so proud of her young chick. You must do an awful lot of research to keep it all authentic. Most enjoyable. Well done.
briroch chapter 14 . 3/12
What a lovely story, emotional and funny at the same time. The description of the "Time machine" drawer was great. Loved the way Mike nosed through the greeting cards from Steve and the excuse he finds for doing so.
Sylvia Elaine chapter 12 . 3/12
This was a chuckle a minute. What a clever perspective to write it from. You ladies at the SOSF group want to watch your backs. He may get his own back one day.
Sylvia Elaine chapter 11 . 3/12
Jeannie's off limits but Steve loves her. The only way he can demonstrate his love is by protecting the man she adores most in all the world. Her Dad. That's as far as Steve can go for the moment -but it won't always be like that...
Sylvia Elaine chapter 9 . 3/12
Oh, Steve has waited so long for Jeannie and now it looks like he has to wait at least another year. Shame! I loved the humour at the start of this piece between Mike and Steve and especially an example of female prowess being Norm in drag! Quite a touching ending too.
Sylvia Elaine chapter 8 . 3/12
Those two reminded me of me and my brother when we were kids. He could be so annoying too, then the moment I retaliated that was when Mom or Dad would walk into the room and, immediately, I was the protagonist and he was the innocent party. The times I copped out and it was all his fault. So I sympathise with Jeannie in this story. The only difference is my brother never bought me apology presents.
Sylvia Elaine chapter 7 . 3/12
Loved that you told this story from the point of view of the taxi-driver. Poor bloke brings a ride home and ends up a suspect held at gun point. Not a "good day at the office" for him. Very cleverly written but you left me wanting more with this story. I felt like it was the middle part of a longer story without the beginning or the end. I feel I want to know what happened next.
Sylvia Elaine chapter 6 . 3/12
A little light-hearted flirtatious banter! Jeannie lifting her shirt! Steve didn't expect that for dessert when he came to lunch! This was fun to read.
It was a shame they never really explored the relationship of Jeannie and Steve more in the series. Wish they had cast Jeannie as Steve's wife in the 1992 film "Back to the Streets of San Francisco" instead of marrying him off to the character Anne. It would've made for a far better film.
RealLifeJoanWilder chapter 14 . 3/10
The x's and o's always tell a good tale. Sneaky, Mike, very sneaky! At least she didn't catch him reading those...that might have been bad.
Sylvia Elaine chapter 5 . 3/10
The only thing these two men can agree on is Jeannie. The only thing Mike wants to cast is Jeannie and the only thing Steve wants to catch is Jeannie. She's one very lucky young woman!
Sylvia Elaine chapter 4 . 3/10
You have a great way with humour. Lenny and Mike going to the ball game and getting thrown out. My English brain struggled a bit with all the American terminology and names but I got there in the end. It certainly didn't spoil the fun for me. I loved the bit at the end that, had Steve been there, he'd have caught the ball, saved the beer and got the girl! He would've too!
Sylvia Elaine chapter 3 . 3/10
Hilariously written. It was just so funny. I loved seeing this side of Mike and a very young Steve. I can't think of anything worse than "a person's sense of fun leaving as their sense of maturity kicks in". No matter how old I get I hope I still retain my sense of fun.
Sylvia Elaine chapter 2 . 3/10
Loved the jokes you listed that the men had pulled on Steve and it was nice to see Steve team up with his Captain to get his own back on them. Captains aren't all stuffy. They're still up for a bit of fun. I had to laugh at Norm needing help to get up from under the desk. PAX.