Reviews for Icarus
JPElles chapter 23 . 9/2
Selvig is sort of an idiot. I think he thinks he knows what's best for Jane and just doesn't care what she thinks even though she's a grown woman with a doctorate.
wbss21 chapter 23 . 9/2
You really are just such a superior writer. Man, I'll never be able to tell you that enough. You are just so, so exceptionally gifted, and I could wait years in between updates from you and it would be worth it. This story just continues to captivate my mind and take my breath away and above all, move me so profoundly.

I know I tell you this every time, but your understanding of Loki, the subtlety and nuance with which you depict him and his vulnerabilities, and his heartbreak, is just beyond words. It's absolutely extraordinary and beautiful in the most sincere way. And the way you SHOW how much Loki loves Jane is just mind blowing. You don't tell it, you show it, and that makes his feelings towards her, the depth and the weight of them, so much more tangible and touching. The kid absolutely breaks my heart. He's so damn sweet, and yet so monumentally down on himself, so suffocatingly lonely and sad, and so deeply uncertain of his place, so profoundly lacking in any sense of self-worth. I think what really makes it all the more moving and tragic is that while you demonstrate these qualities of deep seeded low self-esteem, you also demonstrate to the audience just how extraordinarily gifted and intelligent Loki is. That makes it doubly painful to read then, to see how little Loki thinks of himself, while as readers we can see how special he actually is.

Worse still here is his confusion over why it is Jane didn't outright reject him, and even continues to trust him, after he revealed the truth to her. The moment in this chapter which I think hit me the hardest was after Eric's badgering of Loki to leave, Loki just sort of crumples and for a moment gives in to that request. And you demonstrate his fragility here so well because you realize, had Eric actually been able to take Jane from Loki's arms, Loki really would have left, he really would have gone away and just given in to Eric's demands.

And I know Eric is just acting and speaking out of fear and concern for Jane, and you can't entirely blame him for that, but it still made me so angry at him, the way he spoke to Loki. Eric of course can't know just how affecting his words would be to someone like Loki, to someone who's experienced the things Loki has. When he tells Loki that he isn't a prince, that he isn't even Odin's son, man oh man, I can't think of a worse thing to say to Loki, who's self-hatred was only compounded a thousand fold by the discovery that he isn't, in fact, Odin's son. And you do an extraordinary job here too of highlighting how, even with that discovery, it couldn't erase Loki's desire to BE Odin's son, and to do Odin proud as his son, and how his own, perceived failures in that only made the discovery of his true heritage worse. And you demonstrate beautifully here too just how sensitive Loki is, how much words affect him, when we see the wave of memory and pain and self-loathing Eric's unthinking remark sets off in him. The way it nearly crushes Loki into giving up. You get a very real sense here of just how it is Loki came to be as he is, that things said and done to him, things which really wouldn't have much affect on anyone else, for him, can truly be devastating.

It just breaks your heart man.

Another thing I really adored here was just how self-reflective Loki is. Like when he realizes how bothered he is that Jane actually fainted, and how he's able to objectively observe that it's his upbringing and the near-sightedness of that upbringing which is informing his feelings here, while also acknowledging that he still feels that way, and can't really escape the conditioning of Asgard. You do just such an amazing job of showing just how truly intelligent Loki is, because he's so self-aware and so self-reflective. One of the most fascinating things about that being, still, the way his emotions end up dictating him, because he's just such a profoundly feeling person. He feels so deeply that, even when he's able to intellectually analyze the reasons for his feelings, he can't change them or keep them from impacting him.

But man, I nearly started bawling myself when Loki told Eric to take Jane, and he was trying so hard not to cry himself, and thinking about how he was ruining Jane's life now, just like he'd ruined Thor's, etc...

You also do an incredible job of capturing Loki's high class and pedigree. He's truly princely in his comportment, in his chivalry, the way he proclaims to Eric afterwards that he'll do everything in his power to protect Jane, so long as he lives. And the way you juxtapose that sophistication and strength with his extreme and heartbreaking innocence is just astonishing too. When he goes to lay Jane down in her bed, and he sees her underwear strewn about, the way it makes him blush, and the way he doesn't know if that's something that's considered proper or acceptable among women, ah, the kid just makes me want to cry, he's so sweet and inexperienced in so many ways. And it's that contrast of his frighteningly keen intellect and talent with his innocence and almost childlike ignorance which makes him such an incredibly wonderful and gripping character. You do him such justice, really paint him with the true depth of which he's capable.

And the end, when he notices the way Jane's hung his gift up right next to her pillow, and the way it makes him think of Sif and the pin he gave her, which she never worse and didn't seem to care about, again, I almost just started bawling here.

Eric seems to be quieted down for the moment, though I still don't totally trust that he won't do something else. He clearly doesn't like or trust Loki at all, and that scares me a bit. But he also seems to realize that if he does anything else to betray him, Jane won't forgive him. I loved the last line here, when Loki says what he does about crossing that bridge when they get to it, and how Eric reacts with such anger, and Loki just says nothing at all. It makes me think Loki was making a bit of a joke, but it's also saddening, because he just seems so subdued as well, after everything.

Anyway, this story continues to be my absolute favorite. It's beyond amazing, and as always I can't wait to see what happens next! Thank you so, so much as always for sharing!
So happy to see an update! Thank you.
(Applauding!) Well done!
mfaerie32 chapter 23 . 8/31
I'm happy that Jane took the full truth well, or at least seemed to. I hope she continues on that path and doesn't pull away from him once she wakes up.
Armand chapter 23 . 8/31
Thanks for the update!
Anon chapter 22 . 8/26
Hello!
I was looking for some good Lokane fic and found your work.
It is so good! You've made my day!
Please, do continue!
LingeringSentiments chapter 22 . 8/18
Between Jane's perspective of the incident last chapter and the flashback to her very emotional conversation with Loki, this was a pretty intense chapter. Jane has a lot on her plate. Erik's betrayal, S.H.I.E.L.D., being so close to realizing her dream of inter-real travel, Luke being Loki (and a better understanding of how little he values his life)...wow. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this is going. It's been such a contrast from the more laid-back mood of previous chapters.
Red on the run chapter 22 . 8/8
Wow...that was incredible to read!
Red on the run chapter 4 . 8/7
Pranks!
Red on the run chapter 2 . 8/7
Fantastic
Sunnyontheheight chapter 16 . 7/30
" He had the self-assurance of someone who knew just enough scientific theory to feel like the vastness of ignorance was being conquered and not enough to realise that the more science discovered, the more terrifyingly enormous that vastness appeared. It was the confidence of the educated layman."
This is brilliant.
fieldsoffebruary chapter 22 . 7/28
For no particular reason, I decided to reread the whole fic again. It is absolutely brilliant so far. And I love your characterisation of Loki and Jane. Even Erik and Darcy! And the way you developed the relationship between Loki and Jane was so organic and natural.

You write beautifully. I hope you update soon!
Imaginarian chapter 22 . 7/27
I FORGOT HOW MUCH I MISSED THIS STORY
No, really. You have the best characterizations of all the characters. And such a great way of getting everyone's feelings across so vividly.
Thanks for the chapter!
Maia2 chapter 22 . 7/27
As one of those who wanted to see it? Yay!
That was an interesting conversation. I am again very proud of Jane for her cool head, for listening before judging. And For her fierce reaction to his talk of suicide. Nope, not allowed. Bt of course SHIELD had to interrupt at that exact moment... oh well. Hopefully, he'll be worried about her long enough not to entertain such thoughts... or at least long enough not to put them into action.