Reviews for Triage
FlaFan chapter 1 . 8/19/2013
Fine story, because it's detailed and informative, yet emotional, and because of the focus on the Rampart staff.
Bamboozlepig chapter 1 . 2/3/2013
This was really a good story, very true-to-life. Love the way it was handled, it was all beautifully done.
Dianne chapter 1 . 2/3/2013
Nice exploration of something that still happens to this day. In fact, in my city, there were two young mothers this Christmas, both sent home after being seen by doctors at the E.R. and they both died needlessly. In short, they should have been kept in hospital but through our ever cost cutting health care system here, they were not admitted despite being violently ill. Two kids will grow up motherless. In this case here in real life, it was negligence. I did like the well rounded reason why the boy in your story was overlooked. It is true, back in the day, triage was different. One thing that was better about the 1970's though, was that if you were sick, you were kept in hospital until you were pretty well, now it is nothing to hear of same day surgery for appendix, tonsils, and even more serious surgeries and growing research is now finding that this might not be such a great way of doing things because people are dying of post op infection and other complications. On the other hand, hospital derived infections are fewer if the patient is released as soon as possible; damned if you do; damned if you don't. Most nurses are outstanding, caring individuals who have my absolute admiration, however, like nurses on Emergency, there are some who are simply lazy, non caring people who have no business ... to be in the business. The depiction of the nurse in Emergency who looks down her nose at the young couple with the child who has lead poisoning is sadly sometimes accurate. She says to the young father, 'you can write?' When she had no call to do that. You could write a fantastic story about that nurse I'd bet. The mean nurse in the episode, nuisance was actually depicted as lacking in bedside manner but very professional as far as patient care. There have been many stories written about her but I'd bet you could do a fresh take on that too. I really enjoyed your ideas here about what preceded and followed the boy's death. Good job!
Jrsgirl chapter 1 . 2/2/2013
I agree this was nicely done and caused me to reevaluate my opinion of the admitting nurse. You presented the story in a well thought out way and showed how easily it could have happened. I also enjoyed reading your notes. I think you are right about the show trying to increase awareness. Just like they did with so many things. Thank you for writing the story and for filling in a missing piece from the episode. Very nicely done.
Enfleurage chapter 1 . 2/2/2013
Nicely done. I was a bit hesitant that this would turn into a blame the nurse story, but you very well conveyed the demands, the stresses, and the juggling act that is triage, and did a good job of conveying the time and place aspects.

Your nurse was believable, a three-dimensional character with flaws and good qualities, but very, very recognizably human. She could be any one of us. I especially liked how Dixie handled notifying the young nurse at the end of the story. Dixie showed compassion, great leadership and that steely core that directed their grief and emotions onto how all of them could learn from the tragic outcome.

That was a lot to do in a story and you did it well.
51Dreaming chapter 1 . 2/2/2013
Great story. And the extra info is most appreciated.

I love how you shoe Sharon as a real person. It is so true that nurses skip bathroom breaks and meals to care for patients. We don't often appreciate that.

Great job!

:-)
Ginger S chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
When I first started reading this story I thought Sharon was going to get a dressing down from Dixie about how she handled the triage situation with the boy. I was pleasantly surprised at the way Dixie approached the inquiry and subsequent consoling of her staff nurse. Well done!

And thanks for the added information on the standard procedures and how they changed over time. I agree that since the show's premise was to explore and introduce Emergency medicine/para-medicine to the public, this episode was more than likely designed towards exploring the issues with triage.
jerseybelle chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
Well done story on a very tough subject.
The Delirium Threemen chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
Even today you still have people like 'Ms. Wounded Pinky' who think it's first come, first serve in the ER dept and many are also under the misconception that you get seen first if you take an ambulance in.

How the episode was left hanging always bothered me, you never knew what happened to the Admitting Nurse, if the hospital had a lawsuit to deal with. Us viewers were left hanging and maybe you're right the purpose was to call attention to the deficits of triage. Very well done conclusion to this episode.

TDT
pigletfan65 chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
This was a great story. I enjoyed it so much and thank you so very much for writing it. You did a super job on this. I hope others enjoy it as much as I did.

Sharon from PA
Kelmin chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
Great episode tag! You captured the myriad things that went wrong to cause the boy's fate-a nurse who was desperate for a bathroom break, a boy who probably wanted to be "manly" in front of his coach, a busy, frantic environment, and a flawed intake system, where patients weren't examined before being sent to wait for treatment. You also captured some of the true ER grossness-blood on the floor (though in the 1970s I don't think they had specific biohazard protocols for cleanup), projectile vomiting in inconvenient places, people screaming in the hallways. Nice work!
robertwnielsen chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
Wow...very powerful. Especially when Sharon realized that the young boy who'd been hit by the baseball had died...FYI (even though I'm sure you already know this)-there was a rookie nurse named "Sharon" in the episode "Dilemma" (S1). Her name was "Sharon Walters."