Reviews for Nepenthe
Chibara-san chapter 1 . 1/19/2014
A wonderfull story. I love this pairing, even if it is more a frendship here. Konan and Itachi are both so sad and calm, they have to feel comfortable around each other. Especially in that bunch of madmen called akatsuki. You described the nature of their relationship perfectly.
I enjoyed to read this, there are too few stories about them out there.
The Last Deathly Guardian chapter 1 . 1/3/2014
I really enjoyed this. Konan is a very good her, she seems like a calm wind in Itachi's strong storm. His light in the insanity. I enjoyed this immensely. Thanks for writing it! If you ever decided to stray from SasoSaku please take take you talent to write ItaSaku. I for one am all for these two, Sasori and Itachi to find love in their life. After the hell they've been true, the deserve it. And Sakura is just the perfect muse and character to do it, she is downplayed for far to long. She is a star that never gets to shine.
Shunned back down no matter hard she tries.
Never acknowledge, always condemned forever behind.
In the long stretching shadows of others.
For she is nothing but weak,
Never strong, never strong...
Weak, useless, incompetent...

I'll use that some how...thank for the inspiration! Heh! Where was I? Oh yes...so thanks for writing this! And FYI, I am currently favouriting almost all your naruto fanfics...you really got me all worked up after Ace and Eights.
Random Person chapter 1 . 11/21/2013
As always, your writing is friggin' superb. Thumbs up to you for this pairing! I know it was more of a friendship, but towards the ending there it totally felt like more. Ugh, heartbreak - -'
I am in love with your writing! :0
swallowinthetwilight chapter 1 . 6/30/2013
This was so wonderfully subtle and poignant. I really loved the parallel you weaved between Itachi and Yahiko at the end there; it was the perfect culmination to the fic, highlighting the personal tragedies of Konan's and Itachi's lives while emphasizing their resilience and perseverance in spite of the sacrifices they must make. These are both strong, if broken, characters, and this fic really demonstrated that. The subdued, melancholic tone maintained through the entire fic also really elucidated the shades of gray that dominated their lives as shinobi-something that was repeatedly acknowledged in their brief but probing conversations about their mutual goal of ridding the world of war, and the methods required to accomplish that. All in all, the message you wanted to convey and the way you executed it-the whole atmosphere of the fic, the hardy-flower-in-the-rain-metaphor, the parallels between past and present (i.e. Itachi and Yahiko, for Konan), and their constant but almost seamless overlapping in Itachi's and Konan's experience of the world (e.g. when Konan lapses into memory before meeting Nagato, or Itachi's ghosts haunt him as he shares tea with Konan...and then, at the end, the interspersed dialogue, a literal overlapping of past and present: Konan repeating her lines, and remembering Yahiko's))-both perfectly suited each other, and it was just absolutely lovely. The way Konan and Itachi echoed each other, and resonated, was just...I can't do it justice. Thank you for writing this wonderful fic. It's really an understated treasure, and I wish I could better convey that in words.
Guest chapter 1 . 5/14/2013
Your writing is simply amazing. You can probably make me ship just about anything
A Fan chapter 1 . 3/2/2013
A very deep and intriguing story loved it, hopefully you'll make another story between Itachi & Konan.
Person chapter 1 . 2/21/2013
Your stories are amazing and i am glad you try different people together than the usual. But I do wonder is this story related to duty before honor since Sasuke kills deirdera
yuten chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
Woah...That was my reaction. This story from the very first enticing sentence to the last one just left a huge powerful impression on me.

In fact, the impact of your beautiful work was so powerful that I just sat there, staring at nothing for a long time because I needed that much time to take it all in. Your understanding of Itachi and Konan is so deep and their relationship was so complex I am like really impressed.

I knew this story was gonna be good but when I saw the pairing, of ItaKonan I very curious to how you would make their relationship considering that they had absolutely zero interactions in the original and it was really cool how you did it.

The light kiss towards the end was surprising and yet so fitting. Thanks for writing such a deeply moving story
Nom de Plume chapter 1 . 2/3/2013
Every time I read your work, it just gets better and better. And I believe, this story, truly portrays the pinnacle of your talent (but if you somehow find a way to improve beyond this (if that's even possible!) then by all means.)

I'll start with this. I have never-ever read any kind of story that revolves around the tragic trio (besides Team7) aka Konan, Pein/Nagato, & Yahiko. I have never felt the urge to, but I was bored and you had a new story out so I thought, what the 'ell, why not. And here I am, at the end finally. Not once during the entirety of this story, had I even felt that impatient tick of skipping words and scanning the rest. Every word held some weight, the metaphors you weaved, the underlying meaning that not only tied the story together but also characterized the cast so well... I feel like I am about to BURST from all this bittersweet deception and dramatic irony!

JesusChristJesusChrist. At the end, when you have finally accumulated the paper flower's symbol here- it's just so-so. UGH. If it's possible, I could even argue that Konan rivals Itachi in playing the most tragic character. To watch your lover die & to continue living as your remaining friend seeps himself in darkness & yet not leave him because he's the only fragment you have left of your old life... To watch tragedies replay themselves endlessly, such as Itachi's here... it makes one wonder if a girl could ever envy Konan's "woman's" intuition. The flower's symbol at the end there had illustrated Konan's burden perfectly. Superficially, one would be awed by the flower's/her strength, when really underneath, I do not envy her position at all. She's like a rock amidst a sea, an outsider that cannot do anything but watch the waves roll on by.

And Itachi. Don't get me started, girl! You have him down to the frkn' T-achi. Kishimoto may have done a good job of portraying the guy's intentions & creating the back-story himself but you. You went even more in depth, creating plausible behind-the-scenes. Each Itachi-scene I read here made me flash back to the times when I had sympathized with Sasuke's struggle and wished Itachi would just roll over in his grave already. It's interesting to read this now, to see the other side's perspective. What was going on the surface and what was -really- happening under. The contrast only makes the experience a thousand times more tragic.

While I shouldn't be encouraging you to write a ItaxSomePairing at this moment in time (gods I need a happy story now) since you're busy working on Oasis, I (and your other readers) probably would not be adverse to the idea in the future... Your characterization of him was just that -amazing- (Konan's too of course). And as imaginary as he is, the guy deserves some proper adoration - preferably not Sasuke's violent type.
Secretie chapter 1 . 2/3/2013
Firstly, holy nine-tails, this is such a deep and intimate oneshot it's unbelievably refreshing. You always make me think more about relationships I never really thought much of before -I love it. First it was Orochimaru and Sasori and now Itachi and Konan. How do you get into the psyche of these characters like they are your childhood best friends?

Now that I think about it, it is very likely that Itachi and Konan would be kindred spirits, as you said. They both have experienced so much pain and cruelty and also have a fundamental and defining set of ideals. Plus, they both truly care about their causes and the last few people they have a connection with.

Before I go further let me say that I loved the small and subtle parallels and references between this fic and Schandenfreude. Even if they aren't totally connected, it was fun seeing a different side of the akatsuki inner relationships. (Oh, and when I read this line, "there is Orochimaru and his partner, Akasuna no Sasori, a hideous hunchback..." I was all like gurrlll hold the damn phone, that is NOT an accurate description in the least! Then I kept reading and realized the split second later you were talking about the Hiruko form. My bad!)

Anyway, I found the piece about Itachi and his ANBU uniform so disheartening. If anyone could understand him at that moment, it would be Nagato or Konan. Just those few lines between Itachi and Konan set the stage for their relationship. Beautifully done.
It was riveting to also get some of that action scene partnership so intricately painted for us. It would seem to me those two wouldn't even have to say much to each other to know the thoughts and strategy going on in their individual minds. And yet they needed each other then and it was obvious. A fit team if you ask me.

The flashbacks in Konan's mind were absolutely heartbreaking. The way you added that kiss for both Yahiko and Itachi was genius. Giving Konan a mind adept to premonition is a great and believable addition. Actually when I saw the scene was Yahiko died in the anime I felt it was downplayed a bit. These are three people who grew up together literally as a family, and although it was terribly sad, I think there could have been a little more emotional outcry. Reading it as seen through Konan was so anguishing! She's truly the rock holding those boys together and their angel as well. That's why I admire her as a character so much. She never has to preach about feminism or the power of a woman, she simply is a perfect example.

Even the simple addition of Nagato giving the flower to Konan has meaning. They each cared about each other so deeply and Konan will never lose that loyalty. Look how long she stayed by Nagato with his ideals. God, I just adore her as a character.

That conversation with Itachi about convictions is so indepth I really don't know how you write like that. '"Even the strongest convictions fall prey to doubt." He turns to look at her then, and Konan resists the urge to shiver. "You should know."' I just loved that line. They understand each other on some deep emotional and personal level. It's very raw to see. Wonderfully captured.

Another favorite, "Misery is an abyss that separates the afflicted from those who cannot understand". How do you even come up with this stuff? I had to think about it a second before seeing how it applied. However, as you pointed out, that abyss can bring together the afflicted as well, in a sad but compassionate reunion of sorts. Misery does tend to connect people who have wallowed in it after all. Itachi and Konan are perfect examples.

All I all, I just loved it. All of it. I wouldn't call it a romance, more like an inevitable relationship for two kindred souls who have seen more than anyone should. Still deliciously fascinating to read. You have intrigued my interest in the relationship between these two even further. (You have a tendency to do that) Another masterpiece in a rollercoaster of a oneshot. Bravo!
pangpond chapter 1 . 2/3/2013
My...mind,this is so sad,the end of this chapter almost make me cry...poor poor

Conan, this remind me of how she died by Madara and yeah..poor Itachi too

I love when you always change pairing but don't make them out off charaction...big hand for you :)

ok!can't wait for what story is coming next? ,I vote for Glass Trinity :),update new story soon please
Guest chapter 1 . 2/3/2013
LOOOVEEE! 3

this is really great, thanks a lot for this :)
I know you were really aiming to make with the tragic feels and i think you certainly accomplished that, but at the same time those little bits of light in that misery when the two were together was very impactful

I would like the mention that the little mentions of Kisame and Nagato were both well done as well.
Kisame of course being sort of like a less pushy Suigetsu for Itachi, and Nagato having those feelings, but they are so wrapped in his own pain that he cant really express it. A lot of people portray Nagato is being pretty mopey in private, more in line with his original personality traits...but he is not the same person he was then. He is a much harder person now

absolute favorite part is the end, when Konan turns his own question around on him, and he admits that even if there was another way, for the world or his brother, he can not see it...
Their situations really are similar in that way.

Thanks again for doing this, turned out great :)
xkaiistarx chapter 1 . 2/3/2013
Oh god. You have no idea how long I have been waiting for this to come out. I'm a big fan of ItaKon and just stuff revolving around the two of them and your writings, and when I read that you would be writing a fic centering around them... My life is complete.

This story is so bittersweet, their lives are forever tied with tragicness and they didn't even choose to have this kind of life. And when they finally found a "kindred spirit" within each other, I just-asdfghjkl. The worst part is, they could have had something, but because of plot reasons and just the whole world against them, they couldn't. Something tells me it's also their personalities, they are both afraid to get hurt or hurt the other or yearn for something that neither could actually have.

Having Konan and Itachi take down Han is actually a very interesting notion. I have always wondered if Konan(and Pein) did went for missions to take down one of the Tailed Beasts, since Kishi never really elaborated much on them, or rather, we are only shown the other members collecting them. So it's nice to see that even the second-in-command would go out to do the work instead of being the sterotype of sitting-on-a-chair-while-your-subordinates-do-all-the-work. The teamwork between the two if them is surprisingly good. It's as though they have trained together before..although I think they have not. Their interaction after the battle on the way back to Ame gave me so much feels you won't understand-

Sasori just killed me. He must have really felt so betrayed.

"I just(...)wanted to remember." Ha. Saw what you did there, and the kiss(es) before. :) Sad really, that right after each scene, the man dies soon after.

Welp, that was beautiful. Really hope you write more for the two of them in the future or just any Akatsuki-centric in general. Applause to you madam :D