Reviews for Challenge
PutMoneyInThyPurse chapter 3 . 10/10
I really am in fucking awe of how mature and the sheer complexity of the thought processes and Snotlout your Snotlout and "okay, bud, just like we practiced" and "we're not in our world, we're in theirs" and I truly... You just outclassed pretty much everyone in this fandom with this and I hope you know that. Do you know that?
PutMoneyInThyPurse chapter 1 . 10/9
Okay. This is seriously incredible. The amount of detail you put into the thoughts and possible scenarios of who would do what if which challenge, Gobber, Astrid - "Snotlout can see his mind racing, thinking it through, thinking everything through, as only Hiccup can do." Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I fucking died. There is a very, very hard edge to your writing throughout - the fact that it's driven by Snotlout and in his POV is so powerfully manifest in the way it's written and I just... UNGH I can't, I seriously can't. And your Snotlout just emerging from the darkness at the end nad... PLEASE tell me this is on the AO3 because I want to quote it. I want to quote it SO MUCH.
Queen Bovine chapter 3 . 1/17
This is AMAZING. One of the most pervasive problems in HTTYD fandom is the shoddy characterization of Snotlout (well, everybody to some measure, but Snotlout gets it especially bad), but you've created a very accurate and relatable portrayal here. He's really quite layered, but not in the “nobody understands me” way, because even Snotlout himself doesn’t know who he truly is or what he really wants. He believes in the veracity of his outward behavior as much as anyone else, because that’s what he’s been told to believe his whole life. And until recently, he’s never had much reason to not WANT to believe it. He doesn’t quite understand why the idea of killing Hiccup and/or taking actual responsibility makes him uncomfortable, because that’s what he’s supposed to do, right? That’s what society, and especially his father, has always told him, anyway, but his own moral compass says otherwise. Unfortunately, Snotlout sees his own worth as being tied to others’ opinions of him, so following his conscience isn’t as easy as he wants it to be.

Contrast this to Hiccup, who is used to being humiliated and thought poorly of and thinks he’ll be okay with all the shame attached to losing, as long as he can still do what he loves and work with dragons. The implications for the village are on his mind much more than his own reputation. However, he’s not actually much more aware of his own desires than Snotlout is of his, and when push comes to shove, isn’t willing to tuck tail and accept his ‘fate’. The stubbornness that kept him at his seemingly futile inventions for so many years comes to grips with the newfound confidence in his ability to lead dragons and humans, and the combination kicks his self-deprecation to the curb. And he pulls a completely HICCUP thing to do.

I love that in the end, the two boys still couldn’t quite reconcile. They are too different and too similar in all the wrong ways, and neither can comprehend the other’s point of view. Nor are they very willing to try to understand or explain themselves better. Each firmly convinced in the correctness of their own position, the seeming inability of the other to ‘make sense’ simply frustrates them.

And Astrid holds a glorious dichotomous position where she understands both and neither at the same time. She’s come to see Hiccup as the future of their tribe and accordingly given him her loyalty, but still strongly disagrees with many of his decisions and is incredulous about his blindness to his own potential. At the same time, her view on life/death morality actually IS what Snotlout thinks his own to be. They are both so VIKING that Hiccup frustrates them in the same way, but Astrid has knowingly and openly accepted his value as a leader where Snotlout has only done so subconsciously.

Agh, I can’t say everything I want to, but just know that this rant means I really, really liked the story, it made me think a lot, and I thought it was spot-on in terms of character. Also, the dragon race/battle/kidnapping in the third chapter was super cool, and I really want to see it animated.

And I really loved this line, too: ‘“Like, really not kidnapping?” asks Tuffnut. “Or is this like how you didn’t kidnap Meatlug at Snoggletog?”’
Guest chapter 1 . 11/14/2016
Is it wrong to want to see what life would be like for the village if what Gobber said came true and Astrid was chief and Hiccup was literally stuck with her, I wonder what flying would be like or daily life in general? Can you make a sequel, I know it's been a few years, but this is great.
Hiccstridlover14 chapter 3 . 9/11/2016
I really liked this story. I think that you got Snoutlout's personality perfect.
BooksAreMedicine chapter 3 . 8/20/2015
Wow, Snotlout's heart is buried way way way deep under a lot of ego. Glad Hiccup was smart enough to win, and of course everyone was routing for Hiccup
BooksAreMedicine chapter 2 . 8/20/2015
Wow, like the insight into Hiccup's plans, the Astrid one wasn't bad if Hiccup wasn't actually going to be an amazing heir. The Fishlegs part was very funny
BooksAreMedicine chapter 1 . 8/20/2015
Wow, this was incredible! Love the progression of Snotlout's thoughts and the background of how Hiccup has viewed the event (so sad but accurate) and Gobber's wisdom with how the events would play out...just incredible!
moleking chapter 3 . 11/1/2014
Great story, really good characterization
Nanyin chapter 3 . 7/24/2014
*snicker* yep that was soo in character i want to pop snotlout on the back of his head...kudos!
FRIENDLY OBSESSIVE READER chapter 3 . 4/6/2014
Wow this is great! It's very well written and I really like how you portrayed the characters. You should write another chapter of the challenge in Hiccup's point of view it might clear up a few things of why he did what he did.
Guest chapter 3 . 4/4/2014
sequel
Pyrophoricity chapter 3 . 2/2/2014
Great story !
thanks for it :)
Packs-A-Punch chapter 3 . 10/26/2013
I LOVE YOU!
T. Alana M chapter 1 . 10/5/2013
Isn't he next in line if Hiccup dies anyway, being his cousin? I wasn't aware that Astrid was even an option.

This is very good, and Snotlout is actually somewhat intelligent.
56 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »