Reviews for In Hands Hard to Trust
FacetiousKitten chapter 1 . 5/17
I don't know what's going on yet, but I'm excited to find out! And I like the mother-son undertone to Houki's and Boushin's conversations. They might be ruling a country, but she's still a mother to a little boy who is bound to be frustrating at times. I look forward to reading more. :)
KittyLynne chapter 17 . 9/12/2013
Wow. This chapter has to be my favorite so far (and given that I've been thoroughly immersed and enjoying each one, that's saying something!)

Why is that? Along with everything that has been set up coming to fruition, I'm hugely impressed by your understanding of the characters and how you show character development through dialogue and interactions. Case in point: you didn't just have Kaika going with Yui because of his duty as a seishi, but also because he feels it's also a responsibility to his family. That you would think to include this small but crucial detail elevates you as a writer and makes me very happy as a reader! :D Likewise with Hotohori and Boushin...the differentiation you have Hotohori making regarding his feelings for Miaka and Houki (explained in a way his young son can understand) is lovely. Above all, the scene between Suboshi and Nakago is stellar-everything flows perfectly, especially the shared cynicism of the two Seiryuu warriors. Nakago's pragmatism and dark humor in explaining his view of the relationship between the gods is right in character...the line about things being too scripted had me smirking even as I'm feeling trepidation in wondering what is going to happen next.
And yes, Mayo has pretty much redeemed herself. Never thought I'd be rooting for her...*grin*
KittyLynne chapter 16 . 9/5/2013
I really like how you've put together certain characters in this quest. Loved that 'the guardian ghost' is along for the ride with Houki and Mayo, and I like the interaction between the two women. Houki is definitely not a warrior type, and yet you have admire her spunk and courage in doing what she can to face down the danger that confronts them.

The conversation between Tasuki and Miaka was well done. Absolutely love the line 'don't make me the bad guy for liking you.' Tasuki's not being politically correct and isn't hesitant in getting right to the point. So very like him. *grin* Miaka doesn't want to hear what he had to say, but If anyone can snap her out of her funk, it's him, Sometimes we need to have someone go where others fear to tread...it's clear that he does have her best interest at heart (and possibly at the expense of Chichiri, lol)

Good use of past experience to have Chiriko come up with a way to reach Juan.
Guest chapter 14 . 8/30/2013
Some very important and eye opening revelations in this chapter. The reunion between the two priestesses was very well done, and right in character for both.

I like how you're integrating Keisuke and Tetsuya into the plot...they may be 'bystanders' but it's clear they have a part to play. :)

You're right, Mayo is digging a hole...poor Boushin. *grimace* Glad there's someone who's stuck around to keep her in line. *grin*

Can't wait to see what happens when Tasuki shows up...*goes to read more*
Guest chapter 13 . 8/30/2013
'I hope to redeem her a bit later, but she's got a deeper hole to dig first. That's the only way some people learn.'
This is good to know, because Mayo is definitely playing the diva in this chapter. It's a tribute to your skill as a writer that she had me alternately gritting my teeth or wanting to give her what for. *grin*

Shocking that Juan is a victim, and Boushin redeems his rather bratty behavior by his reaction to hearing of his friend's plight. You are doing such a good job with his characterization...he's got all the hallmarks of a ruler, and yet he's still very much a young boy. Also love his interactions with Tasuki, and that Tasuki doesn't hesitate to speak his mind to His Majesty.
Anne Raven chapter 25 . 7/27/2013
Your strengths lie in the interactions between the Suzaku Seven and the Konan peeps although I can't say the same over at the Seiryuu camp. I find them a little flat, or rather, they're like 2D and still missing one dimension. That aside, I like the way this chapter turned out. I'll be watching out for the next chapters. Cheers!
Anne Raven chapter 23 . 7/13/2013
Brilliant! I very rarely find fics in this fandom that I like; most of them Yui-centric but this fic blew me away. I'm no fan of Miaka, much less Mayo, but here I find Miaka interesting and Mayo tolerable without them deviating much from their canon personalities.
The Suzaku Warriors are loveable, as always. Boushin is simply adorable even though he could be a brat. Houki is Houki. I love her.
Normally, I tend to favor the Seiryuu Stars but I find myself hating them here. (With the exception of Amiboshi)
You really know how to anchor your readers to your story. Keep up the good work. I'm hoping you post the next chapter soon. Cheers!
KittyLynne chapter 12 . 6/18/2013
You do transitions so well- every scene change flows and they fit together beautifully.

Loved the nonchalant way you introduced the identity of Kaika's wife...makes total sense since Yui never met her, but it was a major AH! IT'S HER! moment for me as a reader. *grin*

And we find out about Miboshi...*shudder* His malevolence is truly fearsome and I fear for poor Chiriko. D:

Mayo is right in character with her demanding and angry demeanor, and yet I have sympathy for her this time around. Nice job of characterization in making me want to read more about her rather than wanting her to go away. Btw, there's one small critique that I just can't let slip by in that passage, as it took me out of the mood you were trying to establish. Saying 'she lied down' is grammatically incorrect...*rueful grin*

It's amazing to think of Suboshi as a benevolent uncle, but you succeeded in making him just that. Suboshi seeing his brother as a happily married man surely means Yui is going to have her hands full in future..._
KittyLynne chapter 11 . 6/18/2013
Poor Boushin! The fact that he's still a kid comes through here. Felt empathy and motherly understanding his upset at finding out why Suzaku wasn't summoned (also thought it was totally in character for Tasuki to tell him what happened in plainspoken terms, XD). Aside from thinking it a clever plot twist, I find it very believable as to what might have happened if Miaka had given up and into her urges. It puts a whole new light on canon events...

Really like that Suboshi is the one taking Yui to meet his brother. Wondering about Kaika's wife...;D
KittyLynne chapter 10 . 4/8/2013
Shouka is so awesome, love how you've characterized her. Hers and Juan and Boushin's friendship is so natural and unforced. Boushin is getting the chance to be a 'normal kid', something that his father never did. (But I wonder if that will continue to be after Juan and Shoka pay Boushin a reciprocal visit in 'the place'. )

So my question about Yui being calm was answered. *grin* I like how you're showing her growth of character,
She's definitely smart to avoid mentioning Tetsuya until she has a better grasp of her situation with Suboshi...I get the feeling the ocean is a symbol for calm before the storm. _

Sakaki is interesting- the outright rudeness I expected from her is missing, (even though she's taking a lot for granted that she'll be treated in the manner befitting a Priestess. XD (Btw, for a moment, after Sakaki's announcement she could feel Suzaku, I pictured the advisors as super deformed little people running around flailing their chibi arms in the air saying 'She ate Suzaku! She ate Suzaku! lol)

The Tasuki fangirl in me is so happy that he's got his fire back! *cheers* The return of Chiriko's power is good too, but a bit more problematic as well. It will be interesting to see how he copes with it.

In comparison withl the lighter moments spread throughout the chapter, the parting between Boushin and Juan tugs at the heart, Shouka's forboding feeling has me wondering what's to come. Great job. Can't wait to read more. :)
KittyLynne chapter 9 . 4/8/2013
This is so much fun to read! The twists in plot you've created fit the characters' personas to a tee,
I like the sly 'wink nudge' in your writing, evidenced in Keisuke's complaints about the book's machinations, and can't we just skip ahead. lol :D It's also fun for me as a reader to know what's going on when the characters don't and yet not still not know what's going to happen next. What is Nakago scheming? Why is Yui so calm? What's the effect of three priestesses being in the book at the same time?

The questions just keep coming... :D
KittyLynne chapter 8 . 4/8/2013
Wow. *Loved* this chapter! So many things set in motion, and you did a stellar job of weaving them together. You maintain a good balance between narrative and dialogue...the exchange between Keisuke and Tetsuya at the chapter's closing is especially well done,

Glad I waited to review, now I get to read two more chapters without stopping! ;D
KittyLynne chapter 7 . 3/18/2013
The whole adventure with Juan and Boushin was wonderfully done...I just want to pat their little chibi faces and then glomp them! :D Shouka as 'the witch'...lol!

Terrific job with Tetsuya's concern/protective streak and Yui's weariness...they were palpable emotions throughout that scene.

The ending of the chapter was one of those cliffhangers that had me talking aloud to my screen in protest, as in:"No, she's wouldn't-she did! She ended it there! ARGH!" lol XD
Can't wait to read the next chapter of this great story, keep going!

KL
KittyLynne chapter 6 . 3/18/2013
The dynamic between Juan, Shouka and Boushin is irresistable. I think they will be giving poor Chiriko a run for his money. *grin*

Eye popping revelations about Yui and Miaka's choices! And that scar...you're doing a great job of keeping me guessing.

Love the idea of Mayo reaching out to Suboshi in order to get what she wants out of Yui- it falls right in line with the manipulative persona we know from 'canon'... but surprise! This time that trait may be for the good, especially as she doesn't have the big reason for vindictiveness that she did in Eikouden. ;)

I really, really like how you're setting up Suboshi's role and Nakago's appearance (let the angst begin! :D) However, there is one thing that I ran across having to do with Suboshi's 'hearing' Mayo through the book that should be made a bit clearer. Your text states that right after he heard Mayo exclaim, 'Yui's last wish was nothing but a bandage!' he immediately deduced that Yui still had one wish left and that not having used it meant she could return. That leap in logic was a bit too large for me...it feels like there needs to be a step in between.
Guest chapter 4 . 3/4/2013
Wow. I'm...*shakes head and laughs* This was a barn burner of a chapter, won't comment on the biggest element of surprise so as not to spoil it, will just say nicely done. *grin* The plot thickens and I'm eager to find out what happens next!

I'm really enjoying the tag team of Chiriko and Tasuki-you write them well.
(snippet)
"I don't think it was the scar that scared him," Tasuki rolled his eyes.

"I'm fairly certain it was the ripping-off-your-face thing," added Chiriko.
(/snippet)

These lines were great, drew such a vivid picture in my mind, lol!

The way things are transpiring, you could almost put have put this in the mystery category, *grin* Looking forward to reading and reviewing the next chapter! :D:D:D