Reviews for Autumn
Guest chapter 1 . 3/22/2014
Nice read.
To-Claim-The-Sky chapter 1 . 9/8/2013
I absolutely adore your writing style - there were passages in here that just took my breath away...

"The darkest shade of rusted red, eating away at the leaves like a beautiful disease; the palest blush of dying blossoms that litter the ground; the mahogany of trees that stand strong against the sky, baring their silhouettes like they're all they have left." My favourite bit. Especially "baring their silhouettes like they're all they have left". Just beautiful.

"And there is nothing beautiful about the endless autumn in her eyes, those dark irises full of death and change and darkness."

"There is a moment, there in the midst of the autumn rain, when Gabrielle falls into the winter of Ginny Weasley's mouth, finds solace in the thought that someone so full of autumn could change, wonders if Ginny has ever been summer..."

"Gabrielle can taste her own apology on Ginny's lips."

"The wind howls around her, and the clouds are darker than she remembers. The trees are bare and stark, bold and empty against the sky."

What I loved most about this was that all the autumn imagery was beautiful but it was also all so very /dark/, and you could feel Ginny's loneliness in all the descriptions. There was also this sense of determination running through it as well, with Ginny's strength. And I love how autumn lost its beauty for Gabrielle as the story progresses. (Even though autumn is still my favourite season) This was all just so amazing.

And you're right, the world does need more femslash, so thank you for writing this :)
DobbyLovesSocks chapter 1 . 2/28/2013
Bloody hell. Kill me, Paula, will you? Write with such skill and talent and general amazingness that I want to fall to the ground and cry. WHY DO YOU DO THAT, HM?

[eyes as brown as the bare autumn trees, red hair as rusted as the dying leaves, freckles stamped along her skin like wilted flowers and fallen petals along the pathway of a forest.] This line was perfect. The similes were gorgeous, but that's not why I loved it so much. I loved it because it's all /dark/. WILTED flowers. FALLEN petals. DYING leaves. It helped us see how broken Ginny was, and I loved it for that.

*note- Joanna eats dinner between previous part of review and next part, so hopefully it makes sense*

["It's nice to know that wherever I am," Ginny says, "that the same rain might fall somewhere else. Might fall on him."] THAT. It was just... so friggin poetic. It was the most beautiful, perfect, sweet line, and it was so... a hopeful teenager hopelessly in love.

*Joanna here left and took a shower, and is now going to re-read the fic to remember how supermegafoxyawesomehot it is*

[but they are the only light in this endless night] That is the most heartbreakingly perfect summary of Fred and George. That's it.

This entire paragraph [There is a moment, there in the midst of the autumn rain, when Gabrielle falls into the winter of Ginny Weasley's mouth, finds solace in the thought that someone so full of autumn could change, wonders if Ginny has ever been summer, and threads her delicate fingers through that red, red hair. She has never felt like this, never felt this bliss at the hands of another, never felt the burn of summer with the rush of winter, the beauty of autumn with the excitement of spring.]

it made me just... wow. Okay? I loveloveloved how contradictory, almost, it was, and how it showed every aspect of Ginny. And the part about how she "wonders if Ginny has ever been summer"... Paula, that was golden. Absolute perfection.
yellow 14 chapter 1 . 2/21/2013
Very cute and definitely AU. Keep writing
Someone aka Me chapter 1 . 2/10/2013
Dammit, Paula.
Damn you.
Because I think you just made me like Ginny.
I didn't think it was possible.
You suck.
YOU SUCK, OKAY? OKAY.
BECAUSE THIS.
"She stands there and thinks that Ginny Weasley wears autumn better than the earth does."
DAMN YOU BECAUSE THAT LINE IS SO FREAKING GORGEOUS I CAN'T, OKAY?
Oak. Your use of the prompt oak. Probably my favorite use of a prompt I've seen so far.
I cannot find the words to express how much I love this.
(also I would like to know if the almost Andrea Gibson quote was on purpose or on accident because I do)
I CAN'T DECIDE IF I HATE YOU FOR MAKING ME LOVE THIS OR LOVE YOU FOR WRITING IT.

Thanks for your entry, m'dear.
MissingMommy chapter 1 . 2/7/2013
[Have I ever told you how much I love /how/ you write? You just have this fabulous ability to describe things in such vivid details and inanimant objects life. It's always absolutely amazing. Like ["She thinks autumn is beautiful, and England carries it with grace"] - this is perfect. Just perfect.

Now, I really love the characterization done with Gabi. We don't see much of her besides the second task in Harry's fourth year and Bill and Fleur's wedding in the seventh book. But you really fleshed her out, and gave her a really believable personality.

The fact that Gabi loves autumn is great. Everyone has their favorite seasons, and you really expressed why Gabi loved this particular one. ANd the way that it ties into Ginny is brilliant.

["Ginny Weasley is all the shades of autumn: eyes as brown as the bare autumn trees, red hair as rusted as the dying leaves, freckles stamped along her skin like wilted flowers and fallen petals along the pathway of a forest"] - This description of Ginny is amazing. I really loved it. It works and it's just great.

Gabi's French accent is great. I bow to you for it because I have the worst time trying to get it down (eventually, I just give up and don't write either Gabi or Fleur). So props to you on nailing it.

["She stands there and thinks that Ginny Weasley wears autumn better than the earth does"] - you and your amazing way with words. Gods, I wish I could write things like this because it's so beautiful and lovely. (this is me being jealous of your writing style, just so you know).

["Gabrielle cannot help but admire the strength in her, the way she stands with her back straight even when she can no longer hold her head up."] - While I dislike Ginny's character, I really adored her strength. If I'm being honest, she was a strong character and that was my favorite thing about her. Which means that I love this line because you brought in her strength, willpower and determination to be strong when she wants to fall.

["And there is nothing beautiful about the endless autumn in her eyes, those dark irises full of death and change and darkness. / For the first time, Gabrielle sees that autumn isn't simplicity and beauty; it is loneliness. Solitude."] - I really, really adore the fact that Gabi at first loves autumn but seeing the way that Ginny "wears" it makes her reconsider how beautiful it really is.

Now, I really like what you've done with the prompts. Frenching "there's something I've wanted to ask" is definitely alright. I wouldn't have it any other way because, otherwise it would've disrupted the flow. The word count - that you got right on par - made me want to shoot myself. (Why did we choose word counts over 1k?). However, I couldn't find "oak". I've read through twice and didn't see it.

This was just lovely and I really liked it. Great job! :D
GlassCaseOfEmotion chapter 1 . 2/5/2013
Wow you may have just converted me to shipping Ginny/Gabrielle. I love this! Your writing style is fantastic and I must read more haha. All the autumn imagery was great and so well described.
The Original Horcrux chapter 1 . 2/5/2013
AHHHH PAULA THIS IS PERFECTION! I just love Ginny/Gabrielle so much and this was so adorable and you had Gabi's accent down perfectly and I loved how she compared Ginny to autumn and how she loves autumn and then they kiss in the rain and then Gabi's likes winter! Amazingness! This is so good Paula amazing job!

DFTBA!