Reviews for Tribute Names
CK chapter 1 . 8/23/2013
Oops :/ I hit enter before I was done.

Anways, we don't have any d5 names in canon so we're free to get creative. Some names I've used for it were Lujia and Joseph.

District 6 with their car brand names. I'm for it, as long as it's not too weird. Kia sounds like a name, Volkswagen doesn't.

District 7 has normal names (Johanna) and I'd say "negative stuff" as well (Blight). Personally, I've named d7 character all kind of stuff from Lucas to Desolace (but that last one is a bit weird).

Textile lists on Wikipedia are a great source of d8 names.

District 9 might name their kids after birds and clouds and skies as well, since their lands are probably very flat, and therefor their horizon wide and empty.

Perhaps coat colours for district 10 names? Other animals? Dun, Sorrel, Buck, Doe, etc.

Violet makes such a lovely d12 name. It just really fits imo. Maybe because it sounds kind of... sad? Anyways.

Oh, I've forgotten that earlier, but also going with qualities and such for district 1: Elegance, Victory, etc.

This is probably tl;dr ramble, but I really love discussing HG naming for some reason :')
CrispsAndKerosene chapter 1 . 8/23/2013
When it comes to naming, my advice is to pick a related word or existing name, but avoid stuff that sound too obvious. For example, Gold would make a cheesy d1 name, but Alabaster is good.
Taking a word and "mangling" it can help as well: instead of naming your d3 character Electric, got with Lectrie, just like we have Wire/Wiress in canon.

Some district 2 characters are also named after Roman warriors and athletes, violent sounding stuff and ancient delicacies (Clove).

I'm a bit iffy about the "greek gods in district 4" thing. All their characters in the books have more English/UK sounding names.

One could also name their district 5 char after famous scientists or sources of power (Hydra or something).
y11971alex chapter 1 . 2/6/2013
I'm afraid that "mason" isn't a type of stone. It is a type of tradesman who can work with stone. Granite, Marble, Igneous, Sedimentary, Kimberlite are types of stone of sorts.