Reviews for Exultation of Gold
Squirtwhittle chapter 1 . 1/18/2003
I love the flow of imagery and language here, and just the savage joy of the whole thing.
Salad the Deceiver chapter 1 . 12/23/2002
**Summons up some words that are worthy of a review of this story**

I am not worthy to read and partake of the beauty that is this great work! All this is what I could only dream of attaining in a fourteen-chapter epic that I one day might hope to author...Kindly do not smite those who grovel now and are not worthy of touching even the mouse that played a role in the creation of this beauty.

Sorry if it sounds like sucking up, but that's what I thought, at least. :)
Adrienne chapter 1 . 9/28/2002
"light as the tossing of wind-rippled grainfields in the time of high mowing"-

there's a line in Beowulf about racing horses streaming down a road with their backs bare...

and that's really all that I can say about this. At some point I will try to muster the words to review your stories as they deserve to be written of; right now the closest I can get (while reading not even The Script but it's footnotes, no less) is to pause, gesticulate wildly, widen my eyes, and shape my face into a silent scream of overwhelmed delight (silent so as not to wake my sleeping roommate).

This-you- are the best thing to happen to Tolkien since sliced bread.

"darting, twisting, curvetting like a steed new brought from the stables". Your words move like a tongue twisting in the mouth, your Glaurung exults and gives me thrills-

5:41 in the morning, and. aii.
Philosopher At Large chapter 1 . 8/22/2002
All right, I'll admit my secret: I've given up on trying to write "normal" prose, and what I'm sneaking under the wire is actually Modified Anglo Saxon Blank Verse, alliteration, kennings and all. With the exception of dialogue, that's essentially what it all is, plus the addition of occasional liftings out of the Hebrew Scriptures. ("He sayeth among the trumpets, Aha!" is definitely playing in the background here.) And I do read bits of it out loud, too . Just to be sure it works.
Altariel chapter 1 . 8/20/2002
I read this out loud - declaimed it, in fact!, well, as best I can having a relatively deep but female voice! - just my kind of thing. Your thrill in and sensitivity to the words you used shone through, and it was wonderful.
Philosopher At Large chapter 1 . 8/17/2002
That bit of UT doesn't actually contradict the rest of the lore about Glaurung, who from the earliest days was named, in fact, "the Golden Wyrm" - that's just what Glaurung/Glorund/Laurundo/Undolaure means, the root "[G]lor-" gold as we know, "laur" the same ending which is the "gold" in "mallorn".

I read that part as indicating two things - that like many reptiles, though made of living metals, he changes color with temperature/health/emotion, and that he was crawling through the mud and ash, which tends to make anything kind of slimy & gray (including otters).

But regardless Howe's Glaurung doesn't look _at all_ snaky - snakes being a particular hobby of mine as a kid. He looks like an iguana, not like something that could outrun cavalry. And I was particularly disappointed because his Smaug is so well done, as are his dragons usually.

But I'm working on an illo for it anyway myself, when I get stuck on other things...
vorondis1 chapter 1 . 8/17/2002
Great picture of Glaurung. I'd almost adore him.

But John Howe did read the text, you know. Quote: 'But he was slow now, and stealthy; for all the fires in him were burned low: great power had gone out of him, and he would rest and sleep in the dark. Thus he writhed through the water [of Narog] and slunk up to the Doors like a huge snake, ashen-grey, sliming the ground with his belly.' (UT, Narn i Hin Hurin)

So it seems this dragon has two sides - which actually makes him all the more interesting.
Philosopher At Large chapter 1 . 8/8/2002
Bingo, everyone got the foreshadowing! The mystical qualities of "thunderbolt iron" go back at least as far as the Vikings, (mentioned in the Icelandic Sagas, for instance) due to the fact that it's already been forged once at a higher temp than possible ordinarily, thus making it a lot stronger than regular iron to start with. That old is it magic or something we just don't completely understand? problem again... And this has been lurking (or ramping) for a long time - I just couldn't figure out how to tie it together until I realized that we were unable to see the stars a few weeks ago where I am now due to forest fires a few hundred miles north of us. But the original spur to the storylet was the fact that everone seems to draw Glaurung _wrong_ - even John Howe blew it on this one. He's "The Golden," that's part of his name, and he's _fast_, fast as a galloping meara or faster. (But no wings!) So I'm glad all that came across ok.
Finch chapter 1 . 8/8/2002
Yes, that's Glaurung in all his hideous beauty - but the fumes of evil obscure the stars of truth.

Nothing but admiration for the way you keep the facts together. I'm sure I wouldn't have remembered that Anglachel/Gurthang was made from the iron of a meteorite.
LOTRlover chapter 1 . 8/7/2002
Beautiful. Wine-flavored as poetry is your prose, and your description of the heady exultation of the fell and powerful. But still there is foreshadowing...
Mouse chapter 1 . 8/7/2002
Intense, vibrant images. Easily able to picture Glaurung strutting/snaking along in arrogant blood-lust. Took me a moment to understand the end- meaning the sword that killed him was made from iron which fell from heaven "as a blazing star"... right? _ Bravo, excellent.