Reviews for What Comes Before
Photogirl1890 chapter 5 . 7/9/2013
That first para is great. I like the whole idea of this chapter, B'Elanna annoyed due to the deception.
"his less than ideal on-air apology to the first officer. Not his finest moment." - nice

A nice collection of P/T missing/ expanded scenes : )
Photogirl1890 chapter 4 . 7/9/2013
"He had learned the hard way a couple of weeks before that to startle her was to take one's life into one's hands" - lol
"he thought as he took in that smile and what excitement did to her eyes" - nice
I like how B'Elanna is wondering what Tom was like before the Caldik Prime incident
Photogirl1890 chapter 3 . 7/9/2013
I like:
"full of an energy that in some other time and place might have been infectious"
"an appraising look that reminded her he had been trained as a field medic"

and I like the idea of them having this conversation about what B'Elanna has to go home to back in the AQ.
Photogirl1890 chapter 2 . 7/9/2013
I like these lines in particular:
"And wasn't it odd that Tom Paris the reputed playboy and womanizer had no one to expect in the evenings other than his best friend?"
"Tom Paris, who could so easily fill any silence, left this one undisturbed until she was ready to break it. "
" indicating the room, Voyager, perhaps the whole Delta Quadrant"
"you have friends because of who and what you've been since you've been on board.""
"She had cut through his self-pity and bullshit with the same ruthless precision with which she attacked problems in engineering." - my fave line in this chapter
knight in shining armour, damsel in distress - lol
"when it hit him that she was still there and that she was still speaking to him. So that was something. Actually, quite a lot. "

Nice conversation
Photogirl1890 chapter 1 . 7/9/2013
All very in-character, great dialogue and character insights. I especially liked:
"real alcohol. Of course it was real alcohol. Trust Paris "
"hoping that he didn't notice the wheeze in her voice."
"deus ex machina worthy of a Greek comedy or B grade film." !
ktikat13 chapter 5 . 3/5/2013
Omg please continue I love this and I'm so happy people are still writing about one of my favorite couples of all time!
Juddysbuddy chapter 4 . 3/4/2013
Loved this new chapter 4! Tom and B'Elanna both are so
happy about the flight and enjoying going over the results
but underneath both are thinking about how much they enjoy
being together. Thank you!
Juddysbuddy chapter 3 . 3/4/2013
I'm so glad you decided to continue this fic! I really enjoyed
this re-do on chapter 3 showing Tom and B'Elanna working
together on the transwarp. I especially liked the discussion
of why B'Elanna was working on it even though she really want
wasn't that eager to get back to the Alpha Quadrant.
CrlkSeasons chapter 4 . 2/23/2013
I missed this earlier.
"I have some old demons that I still struggle with. You may have stumbled into a couple of them...he was, in true Tom Paris fashion, taking care of her... not back to where we were, but this is better."
This is a comfortable place. It makes me wonder what did or did not happen between this epilogue and "ten months later ... she wondered how she had ever been content in safety".
I'm hoping that you have something in mind.
Leonidas1979 chapter 1 . 2/21/2013
Definitely one of the best Voyager fan fic stories I've read! You flesh out the characters so nicely and do some much-needed filling in on should-have-been scenes between episodes! Heck, this whole story could have been included in the actual episodes themselves!

When I finished reading, I was literary begging for more! :)

Keep up the great work!
Alpha Flyer chapter 4 . 2/20/2013
I had actually been hoping that you would be taking this to some of the other places in the relationship - the dance, at this stage, had barely begun ... But thank you, for shining an excellent spotlight on a relationship too little explored anymore on this site.
CrlkSeasons chapter 3 . 2/18/2013
"A wiser man would have backed off. Hell, nine times out of ten, Tom would have backed off."
"... her (B'Elanna's) feeling of utter betrayal at hearing second-hand that Tom was leaving Voyager. Leaving without a word." - which is what her father did to her.
You have a talent for finding the truth at the heart of the characters.
Juddysbuddy chapter 2 . 2/14/2013
I am really loving this! So in character for Tom and
B'Elanna. Always wanted to hear this discussion of the
past - looking forward to more! Thank you for writing
Alpha Flyer chapter 2 . 2/13/2013
"That was pretty much a knight in shining armor sort of thing." Yes. This. Tom!

How did I miss this when you first posted? A well-written, well thought-out, in-character Paris/Torres story! Welcome to the (small but exclusive) club of non-J/C writers, pull up a chair, have a seat ... And congrats on your first outing. It promises to be a good one!
CrlkSeasons chapter 2 . 2/13/2013
Two lines in particular are virtually mini-character studies.
B'Elanna - "She had cut through his self-pity and bullshit with the same ruthless precision with which she attacked problems in engineering."
Tom, even though he said it to get a reaction, it rings true - "That was pretty much a knight in shining armor sort of thing."
You are moving their relationship along nicely, dealing with issues from their past and also looking ahead to future events such as those in Threshold.