Reviews for When You Are a Soldier
LadyZelthePen chapter 3 . 2/15/2013
I'm just now reviewing this...something's wrong with me.

This is a great story, and I love how you've shown the different relationship aspects between Rex and Ahsoka, Cody and Barriss. All of them complement each other in simple ways, but its' very strong here.

*sigh* I love the talk between Rex and Ahsoka here- it's awkward, but its meaningful. :)

Great job!

laloga chapter 2 . 2/12/2013
Kriff! Keep forgetting to say that I listened to the song, and liked it very much! Powerful lyrics, and it compliments these pieces very well. :)
laloga chapter 2 . 2/12/2013
Very nice! Great job capturing Barriss' frantic exhaustion as she flees the droids, which served as a perfect counterpoint to the moment when Cody - literally :P - swept her off of her booted feet.

There's something very formidable about Cody, which I feel you've portrayed well. He's generally seen as the no-nonsense, by the regs commander, (logically, given the fact that he *does* follow Order 66), but I've always felt that his character has more depth. Putting him with Barriss and letting his "softer" side come out by virtue of protecting the Padawan always makes for a good read, and I'm pleased to see your portrayal of their relationship here.

This scene feel like early days for them, though I did note that Barriss thought she could have picked out Cody's voice among the other clones, which implies that they've spent some time together, before. As with the last piece, the connection between the Padawan and her clone counterpart is subtle, but it's plain that there's much going on beneath the surface. :)

The beta in me was a little confused at whose head we were "in" at the very beginning, but I picked it up quickly enough. :) The reader in me enjoyed the kriff out of this, and is looking forward to more!

Great job!
Kelana-ti chapter 2 . 2/11/2013
Ahh. :D That's touching. I love the idea of someone giving strength to another, just long enough to hold on. Those are always fun to read, and you did the Barriss and Cody aspect of it quite well.
Link Holtz chapter 2 . 2/11/2013
" the setting sun graced his figure and gave his armor a warm, golden hue" - very poetic. Really excited when you post, and these two especially were really gorgeous.
Starcrier chapter 2 . 2/11/2013
This chapter was wonderful, as always. I'd forgotten how much I love this pairing. :) Good job!

DoubleEO chapter 2 . 2/11/2013
Aww, that's so cute! :)
movielover121796 chapter 2 . 2/11/2013
Loved it :) !
Crossroad Avarice chapter 2 . 2/11/2013
This-what-gah. My brain is overloading with the cuteness. I love Coffee. Seriously. The way they behave, when put together is just - I could go on a tangent, but I'll save the extolling of the adorableness of Coffee for some other time. Good work! :3
Queen chapter 2 . 2/11/2013
Coffee! Just what I needed first thing in the morning. It's a small and simple scene, but very intense. It feels like there isn't a great deal between the two of them as yet, but perhaps a simple awareness...Cody seems more concerned than he would be without any emotional investment, and Barriss more than she would be as well...but the attachment seems limited to that. It feels like it's early days for them?

Still, it's sweet, and restraint is a hallmark for each of them. Cody gives her support and encouragement when she needs it, and gets to come to the rescue as well. Really, just very sweet.
Crossroad Avarice chapter 1 . 2/10/2013

LKJALDKFKALDFKAJFDLKJADFLKJA DLFKJADLFALKDFJ - in short, my brain short circuiting from this really, really, really cute little moment. It's adorable that there's that sentiment of protection between the both of them.

I'd leave a more coherent reply, but my brain is just...melted.
Takianna chapter 1 . 2/10/2013
Great look at a kind of "day in the life' when fighting! I felt how he was wearing down and wasn't sure that he was going to make it.

Keep up the great work!
Aim chapter 1 . 2/9/2013
As always, I'm absolutely captivated by your story. Amazing work and I cannot wait to read more.
Queen chapter 1 . 2/9/2013
Good to see you posting again! Hm, short series, huh? I'll be looking forward to it! This is a great intro, starting right in the middle of things, lots of action...and in the moment Rex thinks things are about to end...there's Ahsoka, not where she's supposed to be, but right where she should be. And I've got to say...Cody/Barriss? lol, I'm so pleased you've been bitten by the Coffee bug, too! :D Very much looking forward to more of this.
laloga chapter 1 . 2/9/2013
Yay! So good to see a post from you again. Welcome back. :)

This was definitely one of the best action sequences I've ever read. You balance the intensity of the battle, Rex's thoughts and emotions, and the overall arc of the scene perfectly. Honestly, I felt like I was watching a battle scene on TCW or in one of the movies; kudos to you! It's a difficult thing to pull off, but you did it wonderfully. :)

Loved this: *The planet might as well have been nameless. The grand strategy behind the battle was a forgotten joke. All that mattered now was to survive, to keep as many men alive as possible, and to try and beat back the droids while he was at it.* Rex's duty - the duty of all the soldiers, I imagine - is illustrated here. All of that "big picture" stuff that the higher-ups in the command chain have to deal with is lost, and the entire situation is distilled into a fight to survive. Fantastic writing.

Rex's unthinking selflessness is one of his hallmarks, and you've illustrated it so well, here. His mind works like - to borrow my new favorite SW phrase ;) - a "well-oiled heter valve," and he sees in an instant the best possible solution to hold back the tinnies and save as many of his men as possible, never pausing to lament that his actions will surely bring about his own death. What's best for "Rex" does not factor into the equation; the most important thing is the safety of his brothers.

So I was delighted to see Ahsoka sweep in and play hero at the last moment! :D She's a skilled and selfless warrior, much like Rex, and they make an excellent team on the battlefield, even an unwitting one, as was the case here. :P

Loved this line: *But she was there, and in all her glorious fury, and Rex found he was too spent from the exertion to try and scold her for it.* XD "How dare she risk her life to save *him* while he was already risking his life?" Sigh. So very Rexter, to think that he should "scold" someone for putting themselves in harm's way for his sake. But Ahsoka cares for her comrade too much to let his life end in this way, not when she can do something about it. :) That's very much in character for her.

Is this a series of individual vignettes, or is there a larger story arc? I'm curious if we'll see Ahsoka's perspective on this situation. In any case, I'm looking forward to reading more. :)

Excellent work!