Reviews for nine2five 1,14 Picking Up the Pieces
Molotov chapter 4 . 5/10/2014
Damn. Some heavy shit. Good, but heavy.
Molotov chapter 2 . 5/10/2014
I wish the show had bothered to give us an explanation for why Bryce, after ruining Chuck's life once, would then send him the Intersect. You might be the only story to truly offer an explanation - most others just run in circles about how Chuck was the only person Bryce could trust. I don't think your explanation holds much water, not to me, but A) fuck it, you at least TRIED, and B) I sure as hell don't have an answer.

Also, gasp, Anna is back!
Molotov chapter 1 . 5/10/2014
I am infinitely glad this picked up immediately where the last 'episode' left off. Once I figured out that these stories were written as episodes, I hoped you wouldn't jump forward in time here. Cause I am SO digging where we are right now.
resaw chapter 4 . 8/27/2013
Another great episode. I like the way that Carina has been humbled. Not that I enjoy seeing the humiliation and shame of others, but she was always such a cocky character in the TV series and even in any of the other fanfic that I’ve read, but here, you bring her down to earth. You humanize her.

You also make Morgan a decent character. It’s also quite interesting that three of Morgan’s ladies are involved in this episode in some fashion: Anna, Carina and Alex.

In fact, it seems to me that you are treating all these characters with much greater respect than they got on the TV series. I observe that Shaw dies a hero and Bryce’s actions toward Chuck are interpreted positively. This is quite the line: “Chuck was the only purely good thing he knew in the world, and Bryce would have done anything to preserve him.” I like it. I think it is a great gift to your readers when you can highlight aspects of the characters that may have been obscured in canon. And bringing in Orion in a positive, albeit remote, role to get Chuck up and running again, is cool, too.

Back to Carina and Casey. Casey is very gracious to Carina, allowing her to see the DVD and understand better the context surrounding her situation. Once again a humanization of Carina takes place (at least, that’s my spin on what I’ve read).

I was so glad to read of Chuck being “back in one piece,” as it were. I’m still waiting to see how the Charles Carmichael persona might make itself known, but I have really warmed to your telling of this particular element of the story.

The NJP scene was funny, horrifying and heartwarming all at the same time. Ellie’s “assessment” of Carina’s condition was a real surprise to me, but it was in keeping with the theme. Oh, and the side conversation about wedding plans with General Beckman was hilarious. The most tender and heartwarming, of course, is when Sarah came in, made sure Carina understood that she was still going to be Sarah’s bridesmaid, and Carina said, “I’m sorry,” followed by Sarah’s “I know.” Nicely done.

Now, the last scene, I’m not sure I got. You make a reference to Morgan’s “escort.” Is that a reference to the fine gentleman in dark sunglasses, or is there a woman (Anna?) who is standing there with Morgan? Perhaps I will find out. At the very least, Alex is very disappointed.

I’m looking forward to reading the next episode! Thank you!
ProjectOrion chapter 4 . 5/5/2013
Interesting back story for Bryce and Orion. I've often pondered the extent of their partnership when it came to protecting Chuck. Alex and Anna are in town, guess I'll have to read on to see if they stick around (not that I wasn't going to already). I felt bad for Carina even though she royally screwed up, but at least Sarah seems seems to be alright with her now. The wedding plans are commencing but I have suspicions that things might go awry!
PeterOinNYC chapter 4 . 2/25/2013
This four chapter episode has been my favorite of the series so far. So much was revealed about your characters, so much has changed since the beginning episode and you did indeed show us how 'He Has That Effect On People" indeed.

And bonus points - I think I finally realize why you use these (ridiculous? confusing? weird?) calls signs (Graboid? Eagle-Eye? really?) I am so looking forward to some of those revelations becoming know to Chuck.

Thank you for sharing this with us.
Sudden Radiance chapter 4 . 2/24/2013
Interesting. The smack-down could have been handled in so many ways. You kept Sarah's knuckles clean, but I suppose her focus was on Chuck and she had already come to terms with Carina. Besides, someone needed to be there to pick Carina up. Understandable, too, is that the discipline proceedings be kept in-house but Beckman's presence gave them authority. Loved Ellie's role in it all! Her threat was convincing, frightening. Considering, it came from you, Marc, I wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley!

Moving forward, I'm looking forward to Chuck awakening and his first conversation with Sarah, then, of course, the wedding. Definitely need more Chuck and Sarah moments!
KryptonitePoison chapter 4 . 2/24/2013
Great chapter Marc. Morgan is really smart sometimes, he was right and Casey didn't like it. Who was the woman, and what did she give to Alex to give to Chuck? Alex likes Morgan doesn't she? She said Morgan looked good enough to eat and he didn't even notice. Is that why she got upset? Why did she pay so much attention to the guy with shades? I liked Chuck waking up and yelling Sarah! But Sarah should have been there. Why did rhey have to upload and intersect into Chuck? He was awake and talking and he seemed ok. Did Carina try to defend herself against Anna, or did she just take a beating? I was surprised when Ellie hit Carina and threatened her. Then I was surprised when Sarah didn't, she just forgave her huh? General Beckman helping with the weeding? Thanks so much for the update.
phnxgrl chapter 4 . 2/24/2013
I loved this Chapter! I loved Carina's NJP against Anna Too Funny. I loved the reboot of Chuck's brain. I loved how Morgan is off to have dinner with the president. Too Funny! Please continue.
Sudden Radiance chapter 3 . 2/19/2013
Once again Casey works his magic with a DVD! I wouldn't want to be Carina right now knowing what's coming! Bring on the smack down!

As usual, this is some great stuff Marc!
Sudden Radiance chapter 2 . 2/19/2013
Your sense of humor always comes through wonderfully through the Lensman twins! Also, there's some really great Casey material here. As in canon, Casey provides the cohesion to keep Team Bartowski functioning. He's got everyone's back!

I really like how you've cleaned up canon here by clarifying the role of Orion and Bryce. Bryce is such a contentious figure in canon largely because his motivation was never made clear. You've given Bryce noble intentions yet he wasn't simply Orion's puppet. As well, Orion's seems to have a more authoritative voice here, one befitting the master-planner.

Not a lot of plot movement here, but a very important chapter nonetheless!
PeterOinNYC chapter 3 . 2/19/2013
I haven't reviewed this series yet, although I have been casually following it. They have been entertaining diversions, but until Niw, I haven't been compelled to review. This one is different. It brings emotion to the forefront, from the opening scene on. And it does it so well, so believble. I am really looking forward to the rest of the story.
phnxgrl chapter 3 . 2/18/2013
I loved this chapter. I loved how Orion is helping build a system similar to the ring's devices. I loved how Casey brought Carina a video. Please continue.
CaryR chapter 2 . 2/14/2013
Good story line. Thanks
phnxgrl chapter 2 . 2/14/2013
I too have always thought Bryce was truly Chuck's friend. I loved how he allowed Chuck to hate him for the better good. I loved this back story as told by Orion. Please continue.