Reviews for Blind
Ddee.F chapter 9 . 5/3/2015
What were your goal with this story? What is the message you want to convey to us?
I'm still trying to make sense of it.
Because I have read other fics you wrote and I know you usually goes for tragedy and deeply disturbing situations in The Misery of Alec Lightwood series. Still, from your other fics, I got the feeling that the violence or hardships displayed were handle with caution enough to not demean or diminish the characters and the situation they were in. But what about this one?
Why to pick a character that is singularly kind and selfless and put him through excruciating pain and life-changing suffering? This situation needs a better argument than pain for the sake of pain, and this story doesn't give one.
Why would it matters? It's just a story, someone could say. But it does matter because stories are a way of communication, further yet a way of influencing people's opinions and thoughts. So what are you telling your readers?
It worries me because the story is overly descriptive on the torture scenes, exposing Alec's suffering minutely, however, with no empathy. He is treated by the storyline as a toy, that is brutalized for no other reason than seeing it break. It is even more shocking that the story captures, almost accurately, the emotional wreck such violence would cause, but shows no compassion for the character.
The characters around Alec are deliberately oblivious to his suffering, to the point we could call them accomplices to it. Even after they find out what happened to Alec, all they do is think on how to ease their own guilt. They do it by making sure Alec will live, despite his wish to NEVER become a vampire. Thereby, everything is taken away from him; the integrity of his body and mind is taken by his torturers and whatever was left of his identity is taken by his family and presumed friends.
The end, that should work as a solace is actually unrealistic. Take into account real facts about torture, quote from the article Psychology of Torture by Vaknin :
“Thus, torture has no cut-off date. The sounds, the voices, the smells, the sensations reverberate long after the episode has ended – both in nightmares and in waking moments. The victim's ability to trust other people – i.e., to assume that their motives are at least rational, if not necessarily benign – has been irrevocably undermined. Social institutions are perceived as precariously poised on the verge of an ominous, Kafkaesque mutation. Nothing is either safe, or credible anymore.
Torture robs the victim of the most basic modes of relating to reality and, thus, is the equivalent of cognitive death. Space and time are warped by sleep deprivation. The self ("I") is shattered. The tortured have nothing familiar to hold on to: family, home, personal belongings, loved ones, language, name. Gradually, they lose their mental resilience and sense of freedom. They feel alien – unable to communicate, relate, attach, or empathize with others “
So the fact that Alec realizes that the world has not stopped is no consolation, it's nerve-racking. For his own world has stopped, he wouldn't be able to trust Magnus again, he wouldn't be able to rebuild what they had, he wouldn't have wanted to, because he is no longer the same and never will be. And truthfully, Magnus doesn't deserve forgiveness, Alec was breaking in front of him and all Magnus could think about was how it was affecting himself. He never tried to go beyond the surface to understand Alec's pain, he didn't try to establish a connection, on the contrary, he guilt trip Alec and accused him of cheating. Magnus proved not to be trustworthy.
This end seems more like a condescending pat on the head of the reader, like saying: it is alright if you enjoyed reading about Alec's suffering because everything is fine in the end.
And really it isn't alright. Torture is a serious matter, real people went through it, so it has to be handled more carefully to not belittle the victims, much less encourage a culture that is permissive with torture or worst, derive enjoyment from it.
In respect to Alec's suffering, and more so in respect to real victims, this shouldn't be treated as entertainment. Contrary to what a lot of people think, fiction doesn't exist in a amoral bubble where everything goes, if stories can influence people's beliefs and opinions than authors need to be as responsible about what they write as they are about what they do.
lipstickonsunflowers chapter 9 . 12/28/2014
I don't really know what to say.
I love you, and I love the story though!
Ciao.
AllNightmareLong666 chapter 9 . 12/28/2014
That was an amazing ending! Thank you so much for sharing your story with the internet!
OurUserNameIs chapter 9 . 12/26/2014
that was so great :D
you write really well :)
hopelessromantic chapter 8 . 12/4/2014
UPDATE DAMN YOU
Guest chapter 8 . 10/28/2014
Oh Jesus fucking Christ this is brutal! Please let Alec be okay! Please please please! And omfg help me Jesus Christ holy fuck
Raven Snow Star chapter 8 . 10/18/2014
Jesus, poor alec! Go Clary!
FEELS
EnterUserNameHere.OrNot chapter 8 . 10/14/2014
Why is it that every good story I find always leaves off at a cliffhanger for the last update?

Please update Asap

Please
OnyxInk chapter 8 . 10/13/2014
This is an amazing story and it is the only one in my long list of alerts that I pray on a regular basis to be updated. Please, I love this story so much and I would love to see the next chapter.
Air-Is-My-Pollution chapter 8 . 10/11/2014
Please continue this soon!:)
vhs chapter 8 . 10/7/2014
Actually, I've had my eyes cut like that before and they healed took awhile but they did now if he pried them out then, well... gross. But I really hope your story doesn't conclude him being blind forever... :(
Love-Ice-Rose chapter 8 . 10/5/2014
Ahhhh, why?! I'm so happy you updated, but this chapter killed me. I need to know what happens next.
NothingbutGlitz chapter 8 . 10/3/2014
Holy. Fucking. Shit.
Oh my god. I am literally panicking right now. This story gives me so much anxiety it's not even funny. I'm so scared about what's going to happen next! Although, I'm trying to keep in mind that Magnus is smart, that he has been alive for HUNDREDS of years and he isn't stupid. Someone like Sebastian couldn't possibly outsmart him, no matter what he tried. Magnus proved that in TID. But the whole thing at the end with Alec being blinded... Holy mother. Wow. I didn't see that one coming. I am at a loss for words, honestly. This story has given me the most insane feels you could ever imagine and I'm sad (but happy for Alec's sake) that it's almost over. Whether Alec lives or dies, at least he will be free.
Here's what I don't understand though: whether or not Alec lives, everyone else will be CONSUMED with guilt, there's no way they wouldn't be, but I think it will be worse if he dies. My biggest concern is how you're going to handle Jace in the end. If you're going with the book at all, then obviously Jace is going to regain control over his mind at some point. Y thoughts about that are that once he does regain that control, how could he possibly live with himself if Alec were to die? Knowing Jace, I honestly think he would end his life after all that-knowing that he did that to Alec, that what happened was largely his fault. I don't think he could live with that. But then, if Alec were to live, I feel like he would still feel that guilt (though possibly it wouldn't be AS bad if Alec didn't die) anyway. So basically, Jace is fucked. I don't really want to influence whatever ending you have planned, I just really, REALLY don't want it to be unrealistic. (Btw letting Alec live would NOT be unrealistic since he has so many people looking out for him, just saying) Because this is honestly one of the best TMI fanfics out there, lol. No pressure. But anyway, this chapter was incredible, this whole f*cking story is incredible. Keep it up and I can't wait to read the ending.
-Hannah xx
AkaTheLemonLover chapter 8 . 10/3/2014
Well shit...
Can't wait till next chapter...
Love you...
Ciao.
kittykatt 2.0 chapter 8 . 10/3/2014
Shit fucking shit sebastian you evil fucker... Heal him magnus please...