Reviews for Red Herring
brianaangel chapter 1 . 12/12/2013
Fantastically done!
Guest chapter 1 . 9/16/2013
Duuuude, Haz. ;_; This leaves me all sad inside. If I'd read this before, I definitely would have realized you wrote DCF. :P
This was such a clever idea, for Ginny to have to perform as herself. I think I've read it before, but the fact that the Polyjuice actually de-ages her as well is a unique concept. The sadness, bitterness, and helplessness that Ginny feels comes across so well, making the idea of Ginny working at a brothel not an impossible one.

Personally, I don't think Harry would ever let Ginny take her daughter from him, just because I see him as wanting a family so much in canon, that if he got one, he wouldn't let it go. He can't control Ginny, but his daughter, he probably could, especially because he IS Harry Potter. So this makes me wonder what happened to Harry to harden him against his own daughter in this story.

I'm still thinking about the "You almost fooled me" line that Draco says. I'm probably just slow, so it's taking me longer to process. XP It's sad that Ginny Potter couldn't pull off a totally convincing Ginny Weasley. At least, that's what I'm assuming he meant. Of course, Ginny thought he'd seen through her and realized she was portraying herself, but it was quite the opposite. So not only did Ginny have to see how she has physically changed since her youth, she also has to be reminded by someone who never knew her intimately that she wasn't the person she was pretending to be. D:

Part of me would love to see a continuation of this, but, as the last line suggests, I know it wouldn't be a happy story. There's no way. Because Draco wants the younger, more vibrant version of Ginny, and if he ever realized who she truly was, I don't think he'd want her anymore. MORE SAD because Ginny deserves to be wanted and loved as much as anyone. :'(

Beautiful story, excellent smut, amazing writing and characters - as always. I really enjoyed this one!
Frust-sheep chapter 1 . 9/9/2013
Oh this was brilliant written! :D I would so love to read more of this story you seed&have so many options here. Please, please don't let this ff be just a Oneshot. Anyway thank you for writing it. :)
Aya8 chapter 1 . 9/8/2013
[how much concealer she tried to hide them with.] Relatability is good. I used to do this, until I read in a magazine that it could actually make you look more tired. Can’t win! Whoa, she becomes different people. I’m having kinky thoughts here. You did say it was smutty. *Rubs hands together* ooh, I’m gonna like this. I’m all about the smut!

That’s the way I always saw Harry/Ginny relationship. It’s the way he treated her throughout the book too. It was always on his terms. That also happens to be a reason why I’m a Harry/Hermione shipper, because she’s a big thing in his life. I like that you’ve pointed it out here and I’m curious about Ginny’s daughter. It kind of sucks that this is a one shot, hopefully there’s a glimpse of the kid at least.

Is Ginny like a prostitute in this? Hmm, interesting. [Someone had been holding onto her hair for a very long time.] Yay! I love what’s implied here. Draco such a dirty (sexy) bastard. *Squee* Not only has he had an obsession with her, but he’s demanding too? Whattya call that when they make a big goal in football? Well that’s it. You’ve hit it. Goal! I’m not a sports lover so I can’t think of what it is, but like I said you’ve done it. I don’t like cheating normally, but I’m of the opinion that Draco can’t be with anyone other than Ginny, so it’s not a huge issue.

I hope he eventually finds out that it’s her. Gawd. I wonder if he’ll be floored or devastated ? Bring on the smut. I also like that you make her enjoy it, that she responds. I always pictured girls in brothels as just going through the motions. I mean how fun can that be right? Except I’m seeing the possibilities of this Polyjuice brothel…anyone you want? Oh the ideas! There could be another chapter or a sequel, but as it stands it works for what the challenge wanted. Do you know of anyone else that completed this challenge? Great stuff, thanks for writing and sharing it!
Stained Glass Rose chapter 1 . 7/7/2013
I loved the concept, the title, and I particularly like that you chose to write it from Ginny's perspective because it was clear from the opening lines that she's not an object of pity, despite the challenges and the tragedies she's faced. You brought her resilience into sharp focus-sharper focus, I think, than JKR did (or perhaps, could) in the series. It's subtly woven into the details-in the fact that she never lingers on her struggles if she can find a solution instead, in the traditions that she’s created for her daughter in Harry’s absence, and in the resolute approach to Draco Malfoy. You drew such a vivid sketch not only of her character, but of her life with such spare language and imagery. I particularly liked the transformation from Ginny Potter to Ginny Weasley. Like much of her life, it is incredibly bittersweet and incredibly evocative as a result. With respect to the relationship between Ginny and Draco, I think I wanted a little more. I understood her appeal to Draco, at least as far as I needed to; however, I didn't necessarily understand the unique appeal that Draco held for Ginny, the overriding passion they shared, or her sense of “intimacy.” It felt less authentic than the moments of hesitation, but I’m probably too much of a sceptic for hasty, heady romance or hasty, heady smut to convince me, for that matter. Perhaps it comes as no surprise that I liked the dissolution so much—the comment that she’d “almost fooled [Draco]” and the weight of the purse like “a slap in the face” form such an intriguing counterpoint to everything she felt in his arms. I think you play with the ambiguous nature of anonymity very effectively in the closing lines. Aside from (highly subjective) stylistic issues and the occasional cliché, it was very nicely done and I look forward to more.
opaque-girl chapter 1 . 5/14/2013
I loved this 3 I really hope you continue as I loved the idea Rowan had posted and your interpretation of it is amazing anddd you have such a great plot at your hand to develop further :3
Somewhere Sky chapter 1 . 4/13/2013
Haz, this fic is absolutely, and I don't mean this to be taken humbly but confidently, incredible.

There was a little confusion in the beginning "8 hours a day, 4 nights a week" which changed to "12 hours a day, 6 days a week". Which I think I understand what you were going for, but I was a little thrown off. And than later in the sixth paragraph "were wont to do" was written, couldn't quite wrap my head around that particular wording.

Aside from that, this was a lovely piece to read and I greatly enjoyed your writing.
Ambersan17 chapter 1 . 3/20/2013
Absolutely amazing! You should definitely write more!
Boogum chapter 1 . 3/5/2013
So this was not at all what I was expecting; it was better. Ginny's choice of profession is something people might think a little OOC, but I didn't doubt the Ginny in this story because you wrote her so well. It made sense, somehow, in her bitter, faded kind of way. That only becomes all the more highlighted when she drinks the potion and realises she is seeing a younger version of herself. I loved that part - and even more so since it means Draco was holding that hair for years and years. I also find it interesting to consider that an old hair would make someone appear as their younger self. Makes sense, if you think about it.

I admit I skimmed over the smut, so can't comment on that, but regardless this was a really good take on the prompt. The fact the ending is kind of 'open' works as well, though I do think Ginny is right. Such a situation probably will end in tears. Still interesting to imagine all the possibilities after this point, though.
Aerileigh chapter 1 . 2/18/2013
Lovely writing as always, Haz. I love this prompt/challenge and this response is stellar. The "better version of herself" idea makes Ginny's characterization especially poignant. It's complicated and good. The smut was hot. ;) And the subtly mentioned but not subtly enacted quest for control was interesting, given the characters.

I would have liked to know Draco just a little better, though I don't think it would have suited this story - it is right as it is. That's just me wanting mooooore.

Do you know if he knew? I couldn't gather if we were supposed to figure that out or have it remain a mystery. I want to know what unintelligible thing he rasped in her ear.

This is the first fic I've read this year, and it was definitely a good choice. :) Thank you.
rowan-greenleaf chapter 1 . 2/16/2013
Haz, this was amazing and is going straight into my list of favorites! WOW.
Now, I should warn you that I've not slept all night and am trying to think coherently, so bear with me as this will most likely be a rambling review.

Things I loved about this fic, in no particular order:

-I love the spin you gave to the prompt. I NEVER would have expected for Ginny to be the person taking the Polyjuice Potion to become "a better version of herself". That was brilliant! :o

-I love how well written this is. You've got quite a talent! This was such a pleasure to read, just like something by one of the published famous ones. I had no idea you were such a tremendous writer, and it's my loss. Will definitely have to start reading more of your stuff.

-I love how well characterized this is. This Ginny is someone we're not familiar with, but we get to know her by the end of this, and it doesn't feel outlandish or OOC to find her working at a brothel. That kind of suspension of disbelief is hard to pull off, kudos to you. Also you make one feel for the girl. She said it best, her life IS a train-wreck. Draco is fantastic as well, everything I'd hoped for. You did a great job of capturing that ravenous hunger Draco feels for Ginny, which is the heart of the prompt. My one and only nitpick pertains to Draco, however, and it's this: you changed the color of his eyes? Why, why, why? ...Moving on.

-Ginny Potter/Ginny Weasley. The idea that Polyjuice Potion makes you turn into what the person looked like at the time the hair was collected makes perfect sense, duh, but I had never even thought of that. This device adds several layers of depth to the story over all. That this old strand of hair turns Ginny into a better version of herself, and that this Ginny is the one Draco Malfoy dreams of, not the train-wreck!hooker!Ginny that exists in present day. That Ginny feels initially repelled by the thought of pleasuring someone behind a mask of her own face, that later she feels liberated as she can be herself, but not be. That Ginny realizes Draco had that strand of hair for Merlin knows how long, that he felt that way about her back then, and still does. The whole thing was just absolutely brilliant.

-The smut! Ooh la la, what a stirring portrayal of the most passionate *** I've read about in ages. Your descriptiveness is lovely, detailed but not crass. Very hot stuff. I had no idea this was your first try at DG sexy time. You passed with flying colors, write more!

So yes, A for this fic, darling. Thank you so much, you took this prompt and more than made it justice. Please think about adding more chapters, the ending doesn't feel like an ending at all and I know that this is an amazing chaptered story waiting to be written.
Whatisfake chapter 1 . 2/14/2013
I love this story. I alwasys love Polyjuice brothel DG story. It could be develop into a very complicated story

You can't just stop it like that. It supposed to be a long story, especially Ginny was going to handle Draco again.

Please make
chmam chapter 1 . 2/14/2013
Congratulations! It was very good, and I think you could continue it into a full story.
I liked everything in it. The way you described Ginny, her depression, her initial fear and how she took finally control of the situation. And I liked all the things you made Draco do to show his fascination with her but not compromising his arrogance. Perfect!
SunnyStorms chapter 1 . 2/13/2013
/but I figured if I was going to give it a go then a fic set in a brothel was a good place to start./

That cracked me up. Don't worry, the smut was hot. I didn't notice any first-time-attempt awkwardness - you could have fooled anyone. What an interesting setup you had. I don't think I've seen the like of it before and it made me super curious how other options were closed to her that she had to resort to a brothel. I loved the idea of the hair turning you into who that person was at the time the hair was taken and loved how you detailed what a difference years and a crappy life had done to the once vibrant Ginny. I found these lines particularly striking in that regard: "...it wouldn't really be Ginny at all. The girl in the mirror was a stranger to her, an acquaintance she hadn't seen for years. Ginny Potter could become Ginny Weasley for one evening, just like how she would become another woman on any other night."

I definitely felt for Ginny in this story. But Haz, you can't end it there! I want to see how this plays out. Hopefully, it doesn't end in tragic tears, but even so. And I totally want to know what's going on on Draco's end. So yeah, here's hoping a plot bunny will bite you sometime in the future.
marinka chapter 1 . 2/13/2013
Wow, this was great! I can only hope that Draco gives her a confidence boost that she needs.