Reviews for Rara Avis
enj412 chapter 1 . 10/16/2014
This deserved all the awards it got and more. Love this AU so much. I wish this is how their story actually went.
LaraWinner chapter 1 . 8/17/2014
Damn... The last sentence gave me chills. It does kind of make you wonder if Tate had gotten away from Murder House if he still would have turned out as twisted and psychotic. There is a darkness in him but I think there is something more to him than just his rage and violence. This is a great fic that explores the possibility of what could have been had he met Violet when he needed someone like her most. Awesome story!
Sophie chapter 1 . 10/25/2013
Jeez, this is perfection. I've read it twice in one sitting, and i'm still enthralled by it. Diction, syntax, flow, originality - this piece is beautifully crafted. Truly, thank you so much for this; it's a diamond.
New York Vanilla chapter 1 . 8/20/2013
Oh, my goodness.

I want more, I want to know a little of their life, because as happy as I was seeing them get out of there alive and untainted, the ending line of Beau's death kind of leaves me with a bittersweet taste in my mouth. I need more sugar to wash that sadness down.

Regardless, this is a beautiful, classy, well written piece of work you have here. You deserve to win whatever awards those LiveJournal communities give you. This story will stay with me.
sothereyougo chapter 1 . 3/2/2013
I hope you don't think I'm the laziest thing ever if I start off by quoting from the review I left for this amazing story on LJ:

"... I just overall love this story for all the reasons others have already given: the writing, descriptions, specific feel for L.A., and dialogue. Then, I’d have to say that the way the title, a great use of that call-back to canon, is embodied into how Tate sees Violet is just wonderful. You also do such a wonderful job of capturing that sense of kismet and excitement in what is commonly called “love at first sight.” There are those moments of terrific uncertainty and fear that you are misreading signals and then the complete joy and affirmation of discovering that your feelings are returned, just exquisite, and you capture those emotions so beautifully here. I think the entire story works even better for a fic where we know the characters and their individual and shared tragedies because as readers we get to rejoice even more in the averted calamity of their deaths.

Additionally, I really enjoy AUs that make Tate and Violet contemporaries, and this may be the first one I’ve read that does such a great job of placing them in Tate’s era."

Now, to expand on what I wrote in my other review, maybe the thing that raises this story into greatness is the very fact that it is a fic based on a primary text, on canon where this isn't what happened at all, where these two new lovers who are so very joyous and even giddy with having found what has to be each one's soul-mate do get to escape death and despair rather than what did happen in canon where they both ended up dead and trapped in the Murder House.

You made such wonderful use of the contrast that we fans already know between the two outcomes, and it just heightens the angst, hell, I'd say it reaches the classical definition of catharsis that is found in tragedy, that raises the level here to brilliance, and the fact that you left us with the other contrast of Violate's fear even up to the last second that somebody, some adult, would catch them and prevent them from leaving but then their happiness that they made it out, set against the image of poor dead Beau who never even had a chance to escape his fate, not with Constance for a mother, takes it up even another level.

It's so unbearably sad that in canon Tate's very existence in one sense doomed poor Beau. Tate, with the beauty and brains and soul of a poet, blinded Constance to the pure heart of love that Beau possessed, and her tragedy is that she destroyed her "perfect child" even as she helped murder the one she was so ashamed of.

Okay, I'll stop rambling on now, but just know that this is indeed a wonderful, brilliant story that I and many others love and appreciate.
AhsFan chapter 1 . 2/17/2013
Omg. This is so beautiful, I don't think you could possibly understand how amazing it is. Is it complete? It could go either way really. Holy crucifixes, I love this so much!
Lut chapter 1 . 2/15/2013
Loved it! I want to read it again
jandjsalmon chapter 1 . 2/14/2013
I have SO much love and feels for this fic. I love that it's a love letter to LA. I love your detail. It makes me want to live in LA in the 90s. The fact that this is all in just 24 hours too - I LOVE that about it. It's a story that definitely deserved all of the awards - I totally have a mad crush on Paul - and I'm SO grateful that you wrote this back-up for me. It should be pointed out that everyone else got 6 weeks to write - but you got less than two... because you are wonderful and lovely and deserve a huge cookie. So much love for this story - and for you!
gfghjkhdfgh chapter 1 . 2/14/2013
Lola I can't even talk.
this is the single greatest fic I've ever read.
Every other story just moved down a rung.

I'm completely serious.
Saint Mirror chapter 1 . 2/14/2013
This was great. No wonder you won so many awards!