Reviews for Mentor
Vykktor chapter 25 . 5/4/2014
Well gee. That was unexpected.
Ways chapter 25 . 5/4/2014
I can't believe I confused her with Rebecca. I feel pretty dumb now... Anyways great chapter. Once again, the writing was phenomenal and I could vividly picture every single word there. I also thought the thoughts that were running through Alec's head were good too. The fact that she won, is good and bad at the same time. I mean I'm happy that she did win (especially since I know who she is because of 75 Games) but I'm also sad for Alec. I mean sure, he's not a very likable character -I'm almost positive if I knew the guy in real life I wouldn't particularly like him- however we learned a lot about him. His story, his family (Harrow,) his feelings. He's a real human being and despite not liking his character it makes you wonder who really did deserve to win... I don't know what to feel right now and need to think a little bit. So hopefully I'll be done by the next chapter. I can't wait!
Mercoorio chapter 25 . 5/4/2014
Hello!

I really hope we get to see how Johanna played in the Games recap. Her kills and whatnot.

Great chapter. And actually, I didn't like Alec. He wasn't as nice as Finnick or Ludo.
writinginpen chapter 24 . 5/4/2014
Undoubtedly, this was my favorite chapter to date. I mean, I think this chapter solidified that I do in fact like Alec as a character. Like we discussed with Katniss, he's just one of those characters who frustrates you at times.

Anyway, I think this chapter was my favorite, but not because of the cliff hanger, which is by far one of the best I've ever read, or because of the battle scene with Gabriel and Rebecca, who I'll miss greatly. I think this chapter was my favorite because of Alec's voice.

In this chapter, I connected with Alec, which I hadn't before. And well, I felt sympathy and pity for him for the first time, too. I understand now why he did what he did - killing Vincent, volunteering; its all been said before in previous chapters, but it finally connected with me. Now, I understand that he's not a typical Career who's in it for the glory and honor. He's here because he has nowhere else to go, and this is his only way to escape the hell he'd go through at the docks. So in a way, he's desperate, you know? Desperate in a way that he thought his only silver lining was to enter the arena. Overall, I enjoyed all the realization that Alec went through this chapter. He's definitely grown in terms of development in my opinion. That said, he's also grown my respect.

I love the line "We stagger together, like drunken dancers, our heads barely six inches apart." Also, when Alec said its "want vs. need" that gave me a chills. Awesome line there. :)

Oh, by the way. I think you meant. Rebecca, Gabriel, and myself. Instead of, Rebecca, Vincent, and myself.
stygian-apocalypse chapter 25 . 5/4/2014
Holy crap. This chapter is amazing. You had me sitting on the edge of my seat and I swear my heart was racing. To be honest, I actually wanted Alec to win, since he's pretty much the main character and Johanna is also my favourite character in the series, aha so I don't know what to feel for her now. I can't wait for the next two chapters and the next story :)
writinginpen chapter 23 . 5/3/2014
Like the ones before it, this chapter was equally as good. Continually, I'm amazed by what you add to this story, making it all the more original and ingenious. Like with the arena, how creative and thought out it is (the feast being nothing but bait, and then the walls coming down. That was classic). The feast chapter is always a personal favorite of mine, and you didn't disappoint there. By the way, I like how you coined the army that Cato wore, too; nice way of incorporating it's introduction to the Hunger Games universe. As you know, I've been fickle when it comes to my feelings of Alec. That said, I do like how Rebecca's cunning move was an eye opener for him, as it created room for character development in my book. Alec's realizes that he's vulnerable, and with Careers, that's always enjoyable to read. Now, I did laugh when he said he wasn't arrogant. Man, is he in denial there. Still, it was funny and totally in Alec's character.

Anyway, I like the anticipation you built around the feast. I was really antsy while reading it, because I couldn't wait to see what happened when the table sprang forth from the ground. Rebecca is becoming a personal favorite of mine. She clearly has what it takes to win.

I'm ready to see Gabriel and Alec finish this previous encounter, as both seemed evenly matched in this fight scene, which was written well.

Favorite line this chapter: "And why attack each other now? We'll be enemies at the feast, anyway."
Simple Alec logic there.
Ways chapter 24 . 5/3/2014
Ok, dude... That was awesome! I absolutely loved the fights there. Your writing is truly spectacular and I could vividly picture every single movement that you had brought into place. I actually thought Rebecca was going to be the victor, it just really surprised me when she died. Part of me hopes Alec wins the Games and yet the other part of me hopes it's someone else. I can't wait for the next chapter. You've got me so... excited!
As for the next story, I would prefer that it have Annie's Games only be a small part of it, rather than the whole thing. This'll allow you to build the relationships and characters better like you said.
RealFiction chapter 24 . 5/3/2014
Wow. I liked Alec's inner monologue about the difference between him and Gabriel and that glory vs necessity thing. Well we'll see what happens next, Alec isn't the only one left. But the chapter (an the whole story of course) was really well thought-out :)
RealFiction chapter 23 . 5/3/2014
I first thought this would be the chapter where the games would end, but I think we're very close to the end. Very exciting chapter with much action capturing Alec's fears very well. :)
RealFiction chapter 21 . 5/3/2014
Poor Vincent, but it was predictable that he would die first of them three as he doesn't have a career's mindset. Still I liked him and it's sad that they betrayed him.
writinginpen chapter 22 . 5/3/2014
So, I'm attempting to catch up once again. :)

First things first, the chapter was pretty intense, as Alec is in and out of danger with the collapsing of the caves. Another highlight I enjoyed in this chapter was Alec's rationalization about killing Vincent. He claims Vincent was just a victim of the situation more than he was a victim of the two brutes. But I disagree with Alec there. Usually when you do something wrong, as in backstabbing someone, you attempt to rationalize it with those type of thoughts (blaming the situation, circumstances, instead of the people who chose to react in that said "situation"), and I like that Alec does that. It's believable, no doubt.

Briefly, we see that Alec did somewhat respect Vincent, which I liked. Oh, and he admitted to betraying him, which only adds to the rationalization I was speaking of before.

Maybe Rebecca is one to watch out for, too. She seems pretty calculating and witty. Though, like Katniss said, the weak get weeded out early. And now (well, at this point), I don't think any weaklings are left. Everyone who is alive has proven they have what it takes to win.

A few pieces of constructive criticism:
"Either he was further ahead of me than I thought he was when the cave-ins happened or he was taken a completely different way to me by the collapsing tunnels." This sentence doesn't make sense to me. Do you mean "than" instead of "to"?
I noticed a few careless mistakes too, such as using "I" instead of "It" , and using "to" and "the" instead of "that" or "than", so make sure to watch out for those sort of errors in future chapters.

Overall, this chapter was one of my favorites in terms of writing. I really enjoyed the flow and pacing it had. Plus, I loved the internal/moral conflict Alec went through even if it was brief.

Happy Writing!
Cheive chapter 24 . 5/2/2014
No alec :'(
he was so close dammit
Mercoorio chapter 24 . 5/1/2014
The moment we've been waiting for!

Lets take a look to the 67th Victor! (To the? Of the? I'm not sure which one is correct. Sorry)
Vykktor chapter 24 . 5/1/2014
Well, color me annoyed. Another darn cliffhanger! ...Whatever. I'm... pleased with the outcome. I like Alec. I'm glad to see him win. Not what I'd have written (The boy from Five would've been the Victor), but nevertheless, I enjoyed it, just as I always have.
stygian-apocalypse chapter 23 . 4/30/2014
Wow this is getting intense! I really don't know whether Gabriel or Alec will win. I'm looking forward to the next chapter! :)
119 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »