Reviews for The Tender Trap
RedWritingRebel chapter 22 . 6/28/2014
Loved it. Loved it more than my heart could take. Have to say that, right off the bat, because it's the most honest thought I have on this story. I am, by no means, a fan of romance; but this swept me off my feet and made me feel in way few stories ever succeed in making feel. Hopeful. Anguished. Connected to the characters with an empathy so deep it became an ache; yet unable to distance myself from them, no matter what turn the story took. And the twists in this tale were great and many. More times than I care to admit, I gasped aloud, then glanced about to make sure no strange stares were cast my way. But public image be damned; the poignant nature of this fic made it impossible for me to /not/ react.
And then it lingered. Even though it took me a shamefully long while to finish this fic, I must say it crossed my mind often.
And I'll have to say: I hate Karai. I've said it before; I disliked her the moment she made her appearance in the 2k3 series. But YOU. You somehow made me not only like her, but feel for her. I've cried for her, thanks to you. Never before has that happened... and I'd like to thank you for making me see the character in a different light. The depth you gave her is a testament to the wonderful writer you are. You don't just have a talent for the written arts, you have a heart for it, and it bleeds into the lines of every work.
Moreover, I tend to only read Raph-centered fics. And yet, here I've sat for 72, 597 words, engrossed in a Leo-centered tale. That says a lot. I mean, I love all of the boys, and Leo has always been number two in my book, but holding an interest in a story about him that's longer than a few thousand words has never really happened. Until now. :)
You are my favorite writer on this site. I admire your writing a great deal. Thank you for sharing such a breathtaking and thoughtful story, SS. Your love for these characters show in every word, even the cruellest of them.
Your fan til the end,
Red Writing Rebel
RedWritingRebel chapter 21 . 6/28/2014
My mind cannot grasp this chapter. April's getting married? Poor Don. Poor, poor Don.
That talk with Splinter was so heartbreaking. All I want to do right now is hug Leo and, ya know, pretend all this never happened. But gosh, this story is so good! So so so so so amazing and heart-wrenching and deep and beautiful and tragic.
You never disappoint, Seeker. Even when I sob over your stories, I enjoy them absurdly much.
RedWritingRebel chapter 20 . 6/28/2014
*goes cries in corner*
I really thought I was gonna get through this one without needing tissues, SS. But gosh, that final line has me choked. The feels are overwhelming. I remember wanting to say something about the rest of the story, ya know, cause that'd be the obvious thing to do... but *wipes eyes* I just can't focus pass the heartbreak!
*gathers up turtles and hides in corner* Give me a minute... I'll read on briefly. :')
RedWritingRebel chapter 19 . 6/28/2014
Amazing chapter! Just-gosh, I can't take it! The heart ache is contagious, and I'm afraid I have a fatal case. DX
No, but really, excellent job on this. The emotions were so eloquently expressed, from Splinter to Karai to Don. I love this story.
And man, I hope Leo will be okay after this trauma. :'(
RedWritingRebel chapter 18 . 6/28/2014
Gosh, I'm shaking right now. The intensity of this chapter is unmatched! Several times I stopped breathing; I mean, you just packed so much... what's the word? Anticipation isn't quite right. Suspense, maybe? Whatever, you packed it into this chapter to the point where I fully forgot everything except the words before me and ones that await. There were so many good scenes here. Like the Don/April confusion; gosh, just tell the damn boy how ya feel! It's painful to watch Don grasp at the hope of one day being with her.
The Father/Daughter moment in the elevator got me in the heart. Not because is was some feel good family moment, ha far from it. But Karai's plea, and then resolve... just really got me. Wow, words are failing me here, again... didn't see that coming. *sarcasm*
Anyways, I'm determined to finish this fic today, so onwards I go!
darkorangegreen chapter 22 . 6/10/2014
You captured Karai's sadness and loneliness perfectly to the point. It seems like she's in gold cage now, dreaming of freedom.
Hey, I finished the first part, it took a few days, but I finished! ;)
darkorangegreen chapter 21 . 6/10/2014
The Splinter and Leo moment almost made me cry, because while they're still family and still care for each other, there now this distance between then and I don't think it'll ever go away. This now something that will stand between, preventing them of becoming close like before again. All in all, it's heartbreaking how everyone's dealing with the aftermath ( Mikey hiding that in cooking... ), Leo becoming hardened and bitter because of everything that happened, but still hanging on to Karai which shows in details like that he's wearing clothes outside now. The message Karai left behind, it's sad that Leo interprets it the wrong way.
darkorangegreen chapter 20 . 6/10/2014
Oh, what are you doing to me? There's so much I want tell you, but can't think of how so that it make sense ...
Let's try:
First of all, the Casey and Donnie moment/interaction was so, so awkward, Donnie must have felt so humiliated. I know, I would have if I were in his shoes. And I assume in this story Casey doesn't even know about Donnie's feelings about his girlfriend (am i right?), which makes it even more ... well, awkward.
Next, it broke my heart how Splinter felt so out of place and kept his distance because of that. Sure, I didn't agree with some things he done and said in this fic, but still, Leo's his son and he's his father, they're family for crying out loud. I know, he loves and just wanted to protect Leo, even though I wasn't exactly fond of his methods.
I frickin' loved and adored the April and Donnie moment (i think it's no surprise for you by now, is it?) It was so bittersweet. I loved the chemistry you portray so well with them, I loved Donnie memorizing of good old days where everything was uncomplicated with them. Now I really like Casey (at least in 2k12 series, i don't know enough of him in other version to judge), but I noticed how the whole dynamic between Donnie and April shifted with his appearance, so I assume it was in other versions like that, too. And as for April, either she doesn't realize her feelings for Donnie (because it's obvious she has them, at least in this story) or it's a hard case of denial. Which one is it?
Last of all, Leo nightmare. Damn, PTSD already kicking in. But's no surprise after all he had been through. I don't know what would be safer for him: knowing that Karai never betrayed him or keep thinking she hates him. But Donnie made that decision, hope he won't regret it.
(whoa, this must be the longest review i have written here, hope it made sense to you)
RedWritingRebel chapter 17 . 6/9/2014
Another incredible chapter, SS! Once again you have me wanting to crawl into this story and beat more than a few people into oblivion. Please tell me Shredder is going to be punished somehow for this! I just -he deserves death! I honestly had trouble getting through that last torture scene.
And Karai... oh gosh, the girl just makes me want to sob. She's in such a horrible situation. :'(
Cheers, your RWR
RedWritingRebel chapter 16 . 6/9/2014
...
*stares at keyboard*
...
I don't know what to say, except wow. And I thought the torture scenes I'm cooking up were brutal. This... this... oh gosh, it was just painful. In a good way, mind you. Adding in the emotional torment really just staked me through the heart, ya know that? Oh boy... let's see. The characters were in characters, considering the situation. I mean, Leo ain't no crier, but come on, I can totally see some tears slipping from *anyone's* eyes if they were put under this! Shredder was perfectly evil and brutal and hate-able!
Job well done! And though I fear the next chapter, onwards I go.
RedWritingRebel chapter 15 . 6/9/2014
That was intense... I didn't expect things to develop as quickly as they did. Instead of a sinking feel, you just plunged me into absolute terror for these characters. I have chills up and down my arms, and I must admit, my head is... how do I describe this?... light and cold, like I just ran miles in the dead of winter.
You have me on the edge of my seat. I am freaking out for Leo and about ready to cry for Karai. My previous prediction is going to come true, isn't it? :(
A very dreary cheers!, from your Red Writing Rebel
RedWritingRebel chapter 14 . 6/9/2014
I swear, FF needs to add a Bookmarking feature, because I had to dig through the hundreds of reviews for this story to see where I left off. *sigh* Ya know, just a little button, perhaps next to the "Prev - Chapter - Next" thingy that will very simply save your position in a story. Not page position or anything too specific, but chapter number. Yes? Please? Anyone in the FF community getting this? *shutting up now and moving on to the review*

Go, Donnie! Go, Donnie! Go, Donnie! *cheers* Gosh yes, I am so glad he found the courage to say what I've been thinking this whole time.

Having said that... how do I put this? Um, wow, just shock and awe during Shredder's gutting scene. Gruesome and violent and oh so well written. I blushed and cringed at the same time. Argh, I mean, Shredder watching video evidence of Karai and Leo's little... show of love... awkward, man, just awkward. And I can't believe how high the stakes are getting now. More than just love and life, an entire empire is now on the line. I shudder just thinking of what Shredder plans on making Karai do to win the respect and fear of the Foot Clan. The evil little writer in me is whispering "He's going to make her execute Leonardo." The optimist is weeping in a corner, muttering something about everything turning out okay. ROFL, yeah right.

Lastly, I really like your little addition, as you so put it, to Shredder's hatred towards the turtle. It makes sense and is very interesting!
Cheers! your Red Writing Rebel
darkorangegreen chapter 19 . 6/8/2014
It broke my heart reading how Leo was tormented and then how Karai beat him up to get him closer to his brothers. My favorite scene here was the Donnie and Karai one though, there was just something so emotional and intense her pleading to him to tell Leo the truth. I think in this story so far, that's the most broken she've been.
darkorangegreen chapter 18 . 6/8/2014
The Donnie and April moment was very intense, you did an very good job in capturing Donnie's emotions in that. Poor Leo, after all he suffered already, there's now the humiliation with that blond woman. You also described very well what's going through Leo's head the whole time, especially when he's in front Karai and her father.
darkorangegreen chapter 17 . 6/8/2014
Mikey's determination to keep searching Leo was impressing as was Donnie's tactic to scare the foot ninja in such calm manner. Gross what happened to Markus, so I see why Karai wants to protect Leo from this fate, even if it means breaking his heart.
310 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »