Reviews for A Kinder Killing
tenchifew chapter 2 . 4/28/2013
Very interesting story.
Thank you for writing.
RakeeshJ4 chapter 2 . 4/28/2013
Fascinating. I wonder how much of Vorkosigan's non-Butcher status has to do with what was clearly a much more elegant plan to kill Serg and (likely) Vorrutyer? Though of course, MOPE is still a toothy factor that can't just be wiped out by convenient riot.
Susan M. M chapter 2 . 4/28/2013
Great Cordelia chapter - especially the bit about being a fugitive from the law of averages. She is right to be suspicious of Illyan.
Navn Ukjent chapter 1 . 4/20/2013
Interesting start.

I don't know where you are going with this, but it will be fun to read more.
Gyreflight chapter 1 . 4/19/2013
I am fascinated.

You’ve put a lot of care into the, well, what would be ‘background’ in a simpler universe, and it really pulls this into three dimensions. Playing ‘what if’ with politics and character, and being more inclined to drop hints and impressions than outright exposition makes a remarkably effective introduction.

Your characterisation is word-perfect, and you’ve kept a tone and style in the writing and description that makes the whole thing feel right, so that the reader can settle in for the ride knowing that, yes, this is the right universe, merely taken a half-step sideways.

So, a different meeting for Cordelia and Aral (and what a delight to read it was too – Aral in one of his more fey moods, and Cordelia at her perceptive best), where Aral isn’t the Butcher of Komarr (though he obviously got stuck with the same political officer), Ges and Serg are dead, but through different, and evidently less damaging means (at least to Aral), and there’s more going on than meets the eye…

I look forward to seeing where you go with this.
Susan M. M chapter 1 . 3/18/2013
Interesting AU, everyone nicely in character, a few SPAG errors, but nothing that can't be easily edited. Very promising first chapter.
Guest chapter 1 . 3/15/2013
Wow. This Komarr is going to regret letting the Cetagandans in to attack Barrayar even more than they do in canon. Komarr is going to be BROKEN. But how did Ezar kill Serg without the invasion of Escobar?
Smallcatharine chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
The Vorkosigan saga is some of my favourite SF, I'm happy to see more fanfic! I'd guess the point of divergence is the Komarran conquest, in which Komarr wasn't actually conquerred, and Aral didn't end up drinking his sorrows in Permafrost but fighting his way back.

If Gregor is just three, this AU must be set a little earlier then Shards in canon. I assume Ezars position was stronger vs Serg due to no shooting of Komarr's political top. Did he wait to have Gregor genetically/neurologically checked before offing Serg?

Ezar himself died very soon after the Escobar tragedy and seems to have felt guilt about the normal soldiers killed. Would he have held on longer after this "tragic accident" that seems to have involved Vorrutyer as well? And what about Kareen?

I am very curious where you're taking Cordelia's involvement and the URs. Hope to see more soon!
AngusH chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
Great start, totally different from the canon of course, but really great and totally them.

I'm really curious to see what the contract is, is it employment of some kind, an ambassadorship?

Really looking forward to the next part to see what happens.
Beloved Daughter chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
Love it! These are some of my favorite characters and I must say that you are doing a smashing good job with them! Please update again soon!
Rorschach's Blot chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
Interesting. I've got absolutely no clue what you're doing here.
bargavl chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
Very nice. Understandable even to the not so fluent in the series. Your characterizations are good and fit well with the original series. Great work.
joniskpelare chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
Very nice. I love your idea for the Vorkosigan universe and how it is with Serg dead earlier. Look forward to the next chap.
tenchifew chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
Must admit to not having read any of the saga books so far, although I wanted to begin some time. Still your story was most fascinating and very interested read. Really looking forward to see just how it will develop further.
Thank you for writing.
sizuka2 chapter 1 . 2/18/2013
Potentially very interesting. I take it the point of departure is no chance meeting on the survey of Sergyar? Or is the timing simply accelerated entirely? No Escobar at all, with Serg somehow deniably dead without the canonical mountain of corpses? Sergyar was the jump-link between Escobar and Komarr, with Beta on the other side of Escobar - had the Betans never discovered that wormhole, that would explain much.

Her bringing millions back to Beta, her being under his command, the sealed contract... all linked. Somehow. Betan involvement in the Komarran 'border patrol', some humanitarian confirmation that the incommunicado years aren't too harsh? In the development of Sergyar, discovered by Barrayar but not yet by Beta? In the controlled industrialization of Barrayar itself? In a joint... not ANTI-Cetagandan force, but perhaps mutual defense pact? Mutual survey? The Betans must have their own grave concerns about the larger, more advanced, and every so often conquest-minded neighbour... and Barrayar seems to be going some lengths to put forth a friendlier face in this version. No Empire off Barrayar, yet - a blockaded 'independent' Komarr.

Current best guess - some sort of cooperative colonization of Sergyar, and a plan to let Komarr wither for a time before attempting cooption.
30 | « Prev Page 1 2