Reviews for The Hardest Part
kadence909533 chapter 1 . 6/6/2013
Wow! I really enjoy this story immensely. I can see Beckett hearing that voice in her head saying those exact words. Too many times fanfiction takes the tone of the author, not the tone of the characters we have grown to love. That is not the case in your story. This sounds exactly like Beckett. Great job!
conservativegirl chapter 1 . 2/28/2013
Great story! Happy belated:)
BlindAssassinUK chapter 1 . 2/21/2013
Beautiful stuff, Em. Really. I think my favourite scene in the whole of that episode was the part where Castle pleads with Beckett, warns her, even, not to promise him something she can't deliver on. It was honest on his part.

Like you, I'm not sure Castle could cope with losing Alexis. It would destroy him, and I don't think even Beckett's love could save him from the blackness that would swallow him. So I really think you've nailed Beckett's fears here. If Beckett were to die, he'd be devastated, wounded, maybe even inconsolable for the rest of his days, but he'd carry on for his daughter. I'm pretty sure the reverse wouldn't be true - take away Alexis and he'll crumble into dust.

Well, those are my thoughts... Sorry to hijack this review with random thoughts that I ought to have kept to myself. :D
jenlovesbones chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
It's still your birthday in America. So happy review to you!

Also... wow. This captured a lot of darkness I felt in the episode. Soul-crushing darkness. How cheery for your birthday!
i-am-nikki-heat chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
perfect. my feelings exactly. poor beckett. thanks for sharing.
KyinHI chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
You know, I'm not a fan of second person. At all. It makes me want to hurt things. But then I read this:

"You try to convey every inch of your support to him without any words, try to just know when to stay away and when to approach, the way he always does.

But in the end it feels like you've just fallen flat."

And you sold me. Kudos!
LittleLizzieZentara chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
You try to convey every inch of your support to him without any words, try to just know when to stay away and when to approach, the way he always does. - I love this line. Castle has been there for Kate so much; I really like how she is trying to be there for him in the same way, especially in your version.
sunnyamazing chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
*sniffle* My heart just hurts so much with this episode.
My babies are hurting. Therefore I am too.
Making Castle remind her of her Dad, oh the pain.
Seriously, beautiful my friend. I think I need to watch Target and blubber like a baby.
WHERE ARE YOU NEXT WEEK?
LivingInSmilesIsBetter chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
Refreshing POV. I think you perfectly summed up how despondent she was at the end of that scene with: "But in the end it feels like you've just fallen flat."
She may be staying positive for him, but internally she's struggling.

Happy birthday :D
Kaz chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
Loved Target and loved this :o) thanks for posting. Kaz
Virginia189 chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
Oh! You nailed such a heartwrenching moment! Thanks for expounding on how Kate was thinking as he walked away; I'd been thinking about it myself. So much had to be unspoken throughout the episode for her after he asked her not to make any promises. And that was difficult for me as a viewer to interpret how exactly she was coping and making connections. So thanks for sharing this dip into Beckett's mind so eloquently! And I hope you get lots of appreciation on your birthday :)
oldmoviewatcher chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
This was lovely! Sad, sweet, and Cascketty! As for singing to yourself, it's totally okay! I do it all the time!
scripting life chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
Wow. Wow. This is a beautiful episode tag. Perfect really. The tone and the 2nd person pov were spot on for conveying the wealth of helplessness and crushing anguish in this moment. I love how you look at this through Beckett's eyes and this is really exactly what I imagine is filtering through her head. That she wants to comfort him and yet can't bring herself to give him assurances because it might be worse to build him up only to have him crash back to the ground... Just ouch. And I really like the parallels you drew with her dad too. Thanks for making the wait until Monday even more unbearable. Lol.

(Oh and happy birthday! I'm a February baby too, so hurrah for February birthdays! Heh)
Deb838 chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
Nice insight Em!

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Anon chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
Happy birthday! And great story, so beautifully written but sad at the same time.