Reviews for Invictus
Mizz Loon chapter 16 . 6/12
Oh, real nice, you just had to leave us with a cliffhanger didn't you? Well it is a fantastic story however irritating the cliffhanger is and look forward to reading more of your stories. You sneaky devil. Chow!
AI chapter 16 . 5/11
interesting. Enjoyed it, thanks for writing!
8oclocksleeper chapter 16 . 4/27
This story was a masterpiece. I can't imagine the thought process and the amount of creativity that went into the last chapter alone. Kenshin's last letter was beautiful, and I was really hoping for a sweeter reunion. What a cliffhanger! I'm really looking forward to reading your sequel.
Lamelinam chapter 16 . 4/22
HAve you by any chance read A song of Ice and Fire, aka Game of thrones ?

"Go, live and become", Kaoru to Kenshin
Lady NeverAfterNon chapter 16 . 4/8
holy cats this was awesome. favorite!
animaniacal chapter 16 . 3/11
Well. I knew I was going to love this one, and knowing it would suck me in, I put off reading it... until yesterday.

Tons of thoughts and feelings! You are such a talented writer.

First; I was very interested in your conception of drug-based conditioning. Did you have a specific drug or compound in mind (I should check your tumblr put I'm lazy)? That's such a fascinating and semi-modern fear you're tapping into, of an outside force invading our bodies, along with human intervention... Lots of parallels to the Tokugawa period's exclusionary beliefs and modernization as an invading force.

Your concept of slavery is tinged through with American conceptions and Civil War notes, and I've been trying to wrap my mind around the parallels and differences between the two periods, and it was super cool to read your take on it!

And finally, awful and inexcusable nerd note (please feel free to hate me forever for this) but Marx was German... though of course I bet you meant for Makoto to get it wrong. Considering many American's awful habit of considering other continents as one country.

Anyway, loved the story, loved the choices you made regarding Kenshin and Kaoru's personal and interpersonal growth, and excited to get to the sequel (though I think I need to take some time).
orchid14 chapter 3 . 3/6
I've heard so many good things about this fiction, and since I adored your other fic, "Vaster than Empires", I figured out "why not" and it is indeed very good! Very enchanting and heartbreaking at the same time. Your grammar and spelling is good, and your writing is smooth. My only slight complaint is the first name-last name order: I understand if you prefer putting first names before last names, but sometimes they're quite confusing and not synchronized, if you know what I mean. For example, Takeda is the family/clan name, and the guy's first name should be Kanryuu.

Anyway, looking forward to read more of your works. *hugs*
19Teardrop94 chapter 16 . 1/5
I really want to outright say that I don't like this story but I'd be lying. I fell in love with this story the moment I began to read it. I was eager, though, from the beginning for Kenshin to become his usual self in the end. I hated the rising feelings of unrequited love between Kenshin and Kaoru, how she didn't seem to have gotten his letter of confession. I have a deep feeling about a few things. Confirm or not, this is what I think happened or is gonna happen:

Kaoru secretly got the letter without telling Yahiko about it seeing as it was so personal. Because of that, maybe she didn't know how to return the feelings.

Maybe she got it but felt guilty about something... maybe she's with another man. That thought twisted inside my head for a good while. And irritated me...

Another thought, maybe the last, was that someone was telling lies to Kaoru about him and she was upset that maybe, if she got the letter, that he wasn't being honest or that she couldn't believe it. Maybe... she had never actually received the letters? Idk where that thought came from. Like, what if someone had been impersonating her in writing, someone she knew well.

I don't have anything else that could count as speculation over what is to happen. I actually don't want to read the sequel cause I'm sure it's full of angst, Kenshin wondering what Kaoru isn't returning his feelings, if she never truly loved him. After all, it was mentioned some chapters ago that she loved him like she did Yahiko and Sano, right? Unless I remember it wrong. She might be confused and trying to sort out her feelings. Eh. It might be some time before I actually get courage to read the sequel. I'm a very empathetic person, able to feel emotions on a deeper level than normal, and I hate that.

Anyways, I shall favorite this story fic and wish you luck on other stories. I only recently realized I'd read another one of yours. Don't think I commented, but I liked it all the same, better than this one _

-Tear
Paper Roses 95 chapter 16 . 12/5/2014
Oh my god, this fanfic is amazing! I love how Kenshin's thoughts could only be heard at the very last chapter and I mourn for him and Kaoru. I wonder what's up with Kaoru but I suppose that will be in the sequel. Can't wait to find out what happened with Aoshi and Misao too. Thank you so much for the awesome read. Cheers!
nearcreature chapter 16 . 10/27/2014
This was beautiful :) Thank you for writing it.
ASWF chapter 16 . 10/26/2014
So sorry to be a pest, but i came back again for the beautiful interspersion of the letters and Kenshin's new life. His growing eloquence, wakening self, broadening mind...and deepening feelings, and i teared up again. That last letter shines off the screen. Simultaneously the most moving, but least cheesy - not a single cliche in that singing stream of words - so, so happy for Kenshin, his first love letter turned out so beautifully.
Who is Angel, all my warmest congratulations to her for such incredibly-crafted writing brimming with sheer soul-fire - and thank you both for making this happen.
ASWF chapter 16 . 10/25/2014
Was legitimately crying when we finally hear Kenshin himself, reclaiming his voice and self piece by piece - and then, Yahiko is cryptic and Kaoru is distant.
(Makoto was a pleasant surprise, as was Soujiro and Yumi. Heh, i'd love to see Yumi and Makoto's wedding.)
And Kanryuu's buddies are scheming.
And that beautiful, beautiful love letter is perhaps lost, somewhere out there...my god. (Please say that it makes it to Kaoru eventually?)
Evil, evil cliffhanger. Now off to the sequel for me!
ASWF chapter 15 . 10/25/2014
My utter relief that Hiko took care of Kanryuu - of course he would, and the whole sequence of events is so beautifully-reasoned out, and of course Megumi would see through it - was shortlived, after i understood how serious it was that Kenshin had reverted. It broke my heart, the daisies replaced by peonies.
Man, the bit about Misao - she is a bright, steely person in canon. I don't want to see her broken and degraded. I can empathise with Aoshi there.
ASWF chapter 14 . 10/25/2014
i'm absurdly glad that Katsu is alright.
Megumi, though.. And i understand they cannot matyr Kanryuu, but letting him slip away feels a tad like asking for it...
ASWF chapter 12 . 10/25/2014
Okay i'm happy for Kenshin, i really am...but oh, Megumi.
This is the Kanryuu as he would have been without the toning-down for Shonen Jump, and i hate what this guy stands for.
I liked how considerate Sano was to Megumi, i liked how Megumi chose for herself who she wanted to bed and how. But...argh, it is difficult, so difficult, to make the least bad choice out of a slew of bad choices.
I didn't think Megumi could be so breathtaking a character until you wrote her stepping back into that living hell out of her own choice, and with eyes wide open and with cold courage.
Megumi is so much braver and stronger than she gives herself credit for.