Reviews for Invictus
wheresmybook chapter 16 . 1/25
Oh, oh my gosh. This story, this freaking story was so PERFECT. I had pretty much gotten out of the Kenshin fanfiction scene, and just sort of randomly decided I wanted to read a short one (starting it at way-too-late-o'clock), so I very nearly scrolled past this one. Your story has cost me so much sleep, but it has been every minute worth it. You've made me fall in love with the characters all over again, I love the pacing... the whole time I was wishing for Kenshin to get better, but the you kept it so believable by not allowing him to magically wake up one day and be fine. Though I did keep yelling at you for the whole last chapter and epilogue... something along the lines of "no, no, no, you don't have very much longer, you have to get started on the happy ending now! Now? Now!? NOOOOOO!"
Which of course means that I'm rushing over to the sequel. This was awesome. Thank you so much for writing it.
KuroitsukiNoMai chapter 16 . 1/22
Wow. That was... an insane journey in just 17 chapters. I cried so often T.T Thank you so much for posting and sharing this with us. You built an amazing, dynamic world, and I love how it's similar and yet completely different from the canon world. When I reached the end of this epilogue I was actually SHOCKED (how could you just end the story without resolving Kenshin/Kaoru's relationship?), but then, of course, I was absolutely ELATED to hear that there's a sequel. Again, thank you very much for sharing this. On to the sequel! :D
TheDiamondSword400 chapter 16 . 1/20
WOWWOWWOW!
enough said.
c.mary.c chapter 16 . 11/29/2015
This is one of the best fics I've encountered on this site, my god you are talented. The letters back and forth between Kenshin and Kaoru gave me life, and the letter he wrote declaring his love for her had me smiling like an idiot in public, it was wonderful. I love the way you've written how his thoughts go to paper -it makes me feel the way I do when I read classic English literature and it's simply beautiful. I write Fullmetal Alchemist fics, and I will definitely be referencing your work as an example for my writing to live up to. Bravo!
c.mary.c chapter 6 . 11/25/2015
This is one of the most well-written fics I've ever encountered, you have a real talent. The pacing is good, you convey emotion beautifully and accurately,
and I'm impressed with how deeply you've thought about what it means to be a slave -how to speak to a slave, how sentences are interpreted by slaves. This is currently my favorite morning subway read, and I'm excited to continue:)
Althea M chapter 16 . 9/5/2015
I truly enjoyed this story. It was so...painful. It became so...uplifting. And then, when Kenshin, the man, returned to Kaoru, I was left agape! What happened? How could it end here? And who is that evil shadowy figure.

I will look forward to the sequel. I hope that it will answer my questions.

Beautiful work.

AM
Mizz Loon chapter 16 . 6/12/2015
Oh, real nice, you just had to leave us with a cliffhanger didn't you? Well it is a fantastic story however irritating the cliffhanger is and look forward to reading more of your stories. You sneaky devil. Chow!
AI chapter 16 . 5/11/2015
interesting. Enjoyed it, thanks for writing!
8oclocksleeper chapter 16 . 4/27/2015
This story was a masterpiece. I can't imagine the thought process and the amount of creativity that went into the last chapter alone. Kenshin's last letter was beautiful, and I was really hoping for a sweeter reunion. What a cliffhanger! I'm really looking forward to reading your sequel.
Lamelinam chapter 16 . 4/22/2015
HAve you by any chance read A song of Ice and Fire, aka Game of thrones ?

"Go, live and become", Kaoru to Kenshin
Lady NeverAfterNon chapter 16 . 4/8/2015
holy cats this was awesome. favorite!
animaniacal chapter 16 . 3/11/2015
Well. I knew I was going to love this one, and knowing it would suck me in, I put off reading it... until yesterday.

Tons of thoughts and feelings! You are such a talented writer.

First; I was very interested in your conception of drug-based conditioning. Did you have a specific drug or compound in mind (I should check your tumblr put I'm lazy)? That's such a fascinating and semi-modern fear you're tapping into, of an outside force invading our bodies, along with human intervention... Lots of parallels to the Tokugawa period's exclusionary beliefs and modernization as an invading force.

Your concept of slavery is tinged through with American conceptions and Civil War notes, and I've been trying to wrap my mind around the parallels and differences between the two periods, and it was super cool to read your take on it!

And finally, awful and inexcusable nerd note (please feel free to hate me forever for this) but Marx was German... though of course I bet you meant for Makoto to get it wrong. Considering many American's awful habit of considering other continents as one country.

Anyway, loved the story, loved the choices you made regarding Kenshin and Kaoru's personal and interpersonal growth, and excited to get to the sequel (though I think I need to take some time).
orchid14 chapter 3 . 3/6/2015
I've heard so many good things about this fiction, and since I adored your other fic, "Vaster than Empires", I figured out "why not" and it is indeed very good! Very enchanting and heartbreaking at the same time. Your grammar and spelling is good, and your writing is smooth. My only slight complaint is the first name-last name order: I understand if you prefer putting first names before last names, but sometimes they're quite confusing and not synchronized, if you know what I mean. For example, Takeda is the family/clan name, and the guy's first name should be Kanryuu.

Anyway, looking forward to read more of your works. *hugs*
19Teardrop94 chapter 16 . 1/5/2015
I really want to outright say that I don't like this story but I'd be lying. I fell in love with this story the moment I began to read it. I was eager, though, from the beginning for Kenshin to become his usual self in the end. I hated the rising feelings of unrequited love between Kenshin and Kaoru, how she didn't seem to have gotten his letter of confession. I have a deep feeling about a few things. Confirm or not, this is what I think happened or is gonna happen:

Kaoru secretly got the letter without telling Yahiko about it seeing as it was so personal. Because of that, maybe she didn't know how to return the feelings.

Maybe she got it but felt guilty about something... maybe she's with another man. That thought twisted inside my head for a good while. And irritated me...

Another thought, maybe the last, was that someone was telling lies to Kaoru about him and she was upset that maybe, if she got the letter, that he wasn't being honest or that she couldn't believe it. Maybe... she had never actually received the letters? Idk where that thought came from. Like, what if someone had been impersonating her in writing, someone she knew well.

I don't have anything else that could count as speculation over what is to happen. I actually don't want to read the sequel cause I'm sure it's full of angst, Kenshin wondering what Kaoru isn't returning his feelings, if she never truly loved him. After all, it was mentioned some chapters ago that she loved him like she did Yahiko and Sano, right? Unless I remember it wrong. She might be confused and trying to sort out her feelings. Eh. It might be some time before I actually get courage to read the sequel. I'm a very empathetic person, able to feel emotions on a deeper level than normal, and I hate that.

Anyways, I shall favorite this story fic and wish you luck on other stories. I only recently realized I'd read another one of yours. Don't think I commented, but I liked it all the same, better than this one _

-Tear
Paper Roses 95 chapter 16 . 12/5/2014
Oh my god, this fanfic is amazing! I love how Kenshin's thoughts could only be heard at the very last chapter and I mourn for him and Kaoru. I wonder what's up with Kaoru but I suppose that will be in the sequel. Can't wait to find out what happened with Aoshi and Misao too. Thank you so much for the awesome read. Cheers!