Reviews for Vaster Than Empires
TOSoldtimer chapter 17 . 4/16
I've read this epic several times now, and I still think it is one of the best RK A/Us ever. Among those set in the past, it is the best. Past and future combined, top 10 for sure. I like your version of Kaoru better than the manga version who can't hold her temper and keeps bashing people. I do hope you write a sequel someday. I would love to see how all the relationships work out.
Lady NeverAfterNon chapter 9 . 4/11
The writing is beautiful, and I admire the amount of research and/or knowledge that you've put in here. It's a very well constructed piece and I find myself exited for every new sentence. It's both funny and poignant- you are an excellent writer. Thanks for posting!
nothing but blue chapter 17 . 4/2
ahhhhhhh this was such a wonderful story! you are a fantastic writer. your words and story-telling were so beautiful. my heart is warm and full after reading this. thank you very much and great job!
ForeverRainingFire chapter 17 . 3/29
Great story! I really enjoyed it! I thought you did a great job with all of the characters - I especially liked Kaoru - and I also feel like I learned at least a little bit about the end of the Warring States Period and the beginning of the Tokugawa shogunate. You've made me realize what an interesting time period it was, and that I should probably go to the library to pick up a book on the subject. Anyways, thanks again for such a great story! New favorite!
Kinsutenekochan chapter 1 . 3/25
Very well done! I really enjoyed how you captured the (forgive my rudeness) absolutely droll amout of ceremony and careful wording that made up the court of ancient japan. The manga fanatic in me would like to see the traditional titles they used as well (such as -san instead of mr. And -Sama instead of lord) but I know that not everone is familiar with them or would know what they mean. (-_-); you have created a rich world to step into while still managing to give Kenshin his sense of humor and Karou her inner strength. I look forward to the rest! Keep it up and Thank you!
Jileel chapter 17 . 3/15
This is a masterpiece, if ive ever seen any.
orchid14 chapter 17 . 3/5
Congratulations, you've written a fantastic piece of work! It is magnificent and it brought me great delight reading it. The plot is thick and well-written, original characters were well designed, intimacy is depicted in good taste. I'm more than happy to see Kaoru as an "iron lady" type of woman here, and it makes sense in this context for her to have a soul and mind of a samurai's daughter. Kenshin was devoted and very caring, just the sweet, good-hearted person he always is. I'm delighted to see your alteration of Tomoe in here. You gave her personality more grace and sense than that of Watsuki-sensei's (because I hated the real canon Tomoe). Here, Tomoe died like a samurai and at least her death wasn't senseless, as she chose to tell Kenshin the truth about her predicament. You are a great RK fanfiction writer and we're lucky to have you! Please write more when possible. Thank youu!
This is a really really great story even if it's deep and too serious. I can feel the sincerity, honesty and love of kenshin for kaoru. Though it's hard to read whenever sano's the one talking but amazing story nonetheless. I so love kenshin and kaoru's character here. It so like kenshin to be submissive to kaoru, however i didn't anticipate kaoru's personality here. It felt like she's the husband, after all, all the authority rests on her hands. But i actually prefered her personality in this fic instead in the anime/manga. It's refreshing!
Woah i never expected a lemon in this chapter
dor chapter 17 . 2/19
I LOVED your story! The intelligence behind it was smoothly written! Your writing is amazing :) I was completely wrapped up in its realm without feeling uncomfortable! The way you portray the character's hesitations, thoughts and personality was amazing! HRGH I couldn't put the story down! I also loved how kaoru such a strong individual here but she still kept her feminine touch. I may find myself reading this story again in future because i liked it so much. Thank you for the story!
Kintora chapter 17 . 2/8
This story has vividly captured my imagination like none other in a long while. I'm just sorry I had not stumbled upon it sooner! Your ability to twine fact and fiction together was not only clever, but impressive. Your accurate knowledge in Japanese history and culture really shine through - you show a very deep understanding of what the life was like during those tumultuous times. A lot of what happened then is not not always comprehensible to our society in today's culture, but your prose and ability to depict that understanding throughout the story allows the readers to sympathize with the characters and understand their decisions, when we could have easily dismissed it all as uneccessarily cruel.

I have to say that chapter 15 really blew me away. I knew Kaoru wasn't a strong character in the canon, but here in this fanfic, she couldn't prove to be any stronger or braver. And Kenshin's humble character is far more progressive than his canon self. It's something I found refreshing to follow as the plot unfolded. Although I love his canon self, this story only makes me appreciate him even more (or at least this particular portrayal of him). Here, he treats Kaoru as his equal in every way instead of always sheltering her without truly consulting her first (canon - May 14th departure scene... seriously?)

There are parts I wish were elaborated more on or were given scenes to. For instance, I would have liked to see Kaoru finally receiving Kenshin's true bridal gift. And while I found myself plowing through the chapters after Kaoru was taken by Enishi, there wasn't really a chance to focus on the absence/sacrifice of Tae and Shirojo. They were very important characters to Kaoru for much of the story, so it was tragic to see them go. I know the story pace after that really sped up and they were lost to the chaos, but I had hoped there would be more acknowledgement there for them.

Overall, your story was concise and beautifully crafted - truly brilliant piece of work! I'm shelving this bright gem under my favorites and revisiting it often.
mdman1 chapter 17 . 2/4
Excellent story, not much more to say.
xXTheCrypticCrayonXx chapter 17 . 2/4
This was so beautifully written! I've been reading this all day! Even though I should have been studying... . Absolutely fantastic! :)
Preier chapter 17 . 1/12
splendid story. i'll have to dive back in the manga (and japanese history) to see the divergence points.

zoldyckgirl404 chapter 17 . 1/6
this was so beautiful
you have become one of my favourite authors of all times