Reviews for With Strength of Steel Wings
Zabyne chapter 32 . 7/2
I have loved this story so far. But I have one complaint. This "do I" "don't I" angsty drama between Harry and Hermione is getting a bit drawn out. Mainly because several times we've seen Draco give up the fight only to come back a chapter or two later and rebegin his own angst over her.

Please for the love of all that is good keep this stuff to a minimal in future writing. Yes I understand it is very important for character development. Especially in this story. But at 700k this development is more than clear to readers. Draco and his eternal struggle between Pureblood prince and his ability to see pureblood philosophy for the bs it is.

We infinitely understand that Harry is troubled and love is foreign to him. Its a cliche that has been beat to death by now. Let it go for sanities sake!

This meddling love triangle is making Hermione look like an idiot, not something I like. Accepting Draco's invitation without even talking to Harry? That's just a bit ludicrous. Sure, hormonal teen yada yada yada. Even a hormonal teen realises that making a decision of one boy over another is rather telling. Her inner monologue when deciding was completely bullshit.

All that being said, this story gets a solid 9/10. Love the Hounds as a antagonistic group. Adds a ton of flavor. Love your Sirius. Nice to see him as the flawed mad man he is. Love the in depth lore and rituals. Amazing stuff there.

A bit worried that the remaining Steel family is being forced to remain a valid story point.

That pretty much covers it. Maybe more feedback coming soon as it 'appears' this Harry/Hermione drama may be coming to a head. Hopefully after the dust settles it settles for good. Im a hadcore H/Hr shipper. But at this rate id rather see her with Draco than continuing this angsty drama. (Which would make this the only Hr/D fic I ever read) which should emphasize how bad this continued drama is getting.
ProditorMagnus chapter 30 . 6/30
It is quite difficult to read so long chapters.
IrishEyesAreSmiling chapter 38 . 6/29
More please!
Zeitgeist chapter 1 . 6/25
This story is without a doubt one of the best I've read. Great writing, great plot- I love everything about it, from the use of Fawkes to your approach to rituals.

Soon to be a million words, and I read it in just a couple days because it was very engaging. Good FanFiction is so hard to come by these days, but you've outdone yourself here!

Really hit the mark with this story, I enjoyed it greatly.

(Obligatory "pls update!")
Fire Fist Spade chapter 38 . 6/20
Amazing! I can't wait for the resolution (if there is one) on the equinox! You are a wonderful writer and the characters are spot on!
abroughear chapter 38 . 6/20
With Strength of Steel Wings is one of the best fics I've ever read.

The descriptive writing is incredible; fluid, intense, dramatic, passionate. There are very, _very_ occasional instances of repetitious word choice, but on the whole the imagery is really outstanding.

The character writing is pretty good as well; the...attention paid to inner feelings and emotions of people other than Harry isn't really huge, but the characters are all generally well-drawn and consistent. There are moments, glimpses, into the hearts of many of the characters; often these are surprisingly moving. I wept when Blaise taught Neville the Patronus Charm.

Astonishingly, neither Snape nor Draco irritated the living hell out of me like they usually do (both in canon and fanfiction). I wouldn't have minded a bit more attention paid to Draco, to be quite honest; perhaps an interlude dealing with his relationship with his father. But that's not really WSOSW's way. This story doesn't so much show you its characters' hearts directly; it shows you their faces, lets you look into their eyes and see for yourself. I suppose I shouldn't criticize, given how much I've enjoyed it. Still, I'm very much looking forward to the next time the story turns back to Hogwarts and the budding friendships and politics between Harry's former schoolmates.

The Hounds are _brilliant._ A terrifyingly plausible threat to the Statute of Secrecy, and their complex, amorphous structure makes them a truly effective threat to someone of Harry's power level. They also introduce a whole new dimension to the playing field, instead of having the Ministry be the only organizational threat involved.

Speaking of Harry's power, I should add how impressed I've been at AngelaStarCat's ability to create drama and tension and danger in spite of how thoroughly Harry outclasses a majority of the other characters' personal power. Similarly, the on-screen use of Nicolas Flamel is perhaps the only one I've ever seen that neither renders him a Marty Stu nor uses him as a training cheat-code to turn Harry into one. Sure, Harry learns a lot, and is more powerful afterwards, but the understanding and the friendship were the really important things Harry gained from their time together.

Even more commendable is that that power level is not reserved for Harry and Voldemort, but that there are other players on the stage, of varying motivation and friendliness. It makes the whole thing feel more realistic, not being a straight-up brawl of good hypermage vs evil hypermage, with everyone else just being scenery or minions.

I love, love, LOVE your portrayal of Fawkes.
-brother-of-light-never-alone-
-we-can-

Really, I don't have enough good things to say about this fic. Particularly now Umbridge is dead. It's odd, really, how much less...fulfilling that was than I expected it to be. Fitting, though; it was a stopgap, a thumb in the dyke. It wasn't _supposed_ to be a true resolution. But while I missed the glee of vengeance I appreciated the smaller, grimmer satisfaction of justice. I look forward to Heliopolis with great anticipation.
emma.l.aze chapter 38 . 6/20
aah I love this. Such a good balance of powerful but not invincible Harry.
i like cheese chapter 20 . 6/18
the question about immortality should be: why the hell not.
sure, there are bad times, but those are fleeting. it's up to the living to make more good times.
the biggest lie we tell ourselves is that death is an acceptable thing.

still, other than the 'curse of immortality' stuff i quite like this.
hypnoticageregression chapter 31 . 6/13
WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THAT YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH EACH OTHER
kishinokurobi chapter 38 . 6/11
I really, really want to hear more about Putin. He's in my top 5 favorite characters in this story. I hope he gets some more screen time and a satisfying ending.

I loved this chapter, and can't wait for more.

Peace,
-Elliot
Live how everything is coming together! Great chapter!
FairElffin chapter 38 . 6/10
Such an amazing story - absolutely enthralling. Cannot wait for the next chapter. I've barely stopped reading for days to get caught up after I found this.
Lycan01 chapter 38 . 6/9
Great chapter!
hypnoticageregression chapter 21 . 6/9
... that was the saddest thing I've ever read.
amazing! i loved this chapter, nothing seemed out of place and the way you handled the matter of the horcruxes well.
1,459 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »