Reviews for Brick by Brick
kimchihuahuafan chapter 1 . 8/27/2013
Love this! You paint the image so well
Alumfelga chapter 1 . 7/4/2013
Wow. It was like a poetry, so many images and emotions. And it was very creative idea - to write about the house we've seen only couple of times, yet very important place. I enjoyed it very much.
Marsha Heart chapter 1 . 2/24/2013
I really liked this! is utter just a one shot?
KKetura chapter 1 . 2/24/2013
This was lovely. Awesome contrast to the way the Gilbert House went. Love all the little bits of Mystic Falls you worked in. Sometimes watching the show, I get so wrapped up in the characters that I forget about the surrounds and the town, but it's always nice to be reminded. Thanks so much for sharing :)
afanoftvd chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
Could just imagine one of the old timers spinning this yarn circa 1955, maybe a little before the then Zack Salvatore was shockingly murdered at the Salvatore Boarding House.

Kinda sad that the mundane acts of life lead to erosion and decay not construction. Even more sad and creepy that, even when the brothers were long gone, the house so quickly snuffed out the lives of those that attempted to bring some life back to it.

Really like the books whose pages Giuseppe never bothered to cut, and especially like the idea that the Salvatore Brothers (most probably Damon, given that Stefan was otherwise occupied) salvaged them.

Especially like the old women who would remember Damon, the most handsome man of their generation, and 'little Stefan'.

Brings to life all those generations of people that passed through or near the house as they were waiting for the chariot to carry them home.

Wonder what yarns they'll spin about the Gilbert house in next century or so.

So well written.
tukct81 chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
This is definitely the most unique and thought provoking post-episode piece that I've read so far. It is just a testament to your writing skill that you can make me care about a HOUSE. That's all that it was, but the symbolism and imagery made it really come alive.
WildYennifer chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
P.S. That was me. Thank you, FFnet, for logging me out *while* I was typing the review.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
Another of those things I'd never be able to write.

I'm still shocked at how you manage to write descriptions and make them sound vivid and natural. I refuse to understand how your mind works and how you even imagined it all in the first place.

I like how you incorporated subtle character moments into a piece of writing about a house. I think this is what makes this work interesting - how you combine everything and create, essentially, a character study of an inanimate object.

The most important thing, I think, is that you remember that every character, doesn't matter if he has a Shakespearesque monologue or one line, has a personality, a history, a mindset and a lot of factors that shape who they are and consequently what they say. This is a perfect example.

Great work. Not that I had any doubts.
Nethra chapter 1 . 2/22/2013
Makes me think of words I've heard, The Ravages of Time. A subdued kinda sadness that clings and wont leave me alone now.
T.J. Wise chapter 1 . 2/22/2013
Great work as usual! You really brought the old house to life when talking about it's demise

S4 E15 also stirred something deep in my soul. If you have a chance, have a read and tell me what you think. It's called "Stand by me - Ashes to ashes, dust to dust". Xoxo
latbfan chapter 1 . 2/22/2013
Oh! So devastatingly lovely. Just lovely. I could quote the whole thing back at you, just for fun, because it reads like poetry. The words sounds good in my mouth. I want to read them aloud, and copy it all back into this review. But I won't. I'll just think about it.

I love the voice of the piece. I imagined an old man, first, with the talking about the old women gossiping. But the "bless their hearts" makes me think it's maybe a woman. Ultimately, of course, it doesn't matter. An anonymous voice telling a tale long since forgotten, but also not forgotten and repeating, like all the good stories do. I love how it sounded of the south, that slower, gentler time that's also full of cruelty and violence (that it's just not polite to discuss).

I love the subtle tip of your hat to past stories, of newborn Damon playing the out of tune piano, of all of Stefan's long-ago victims.

"Life and death, joy and agony, that's the kind of stuff that even for an immortal doesn't come along every day. No, most of living, especially living forever, is about the moments in between, about inevitable erosion and decay.
Friends drift apart. Love grows, changes, turns cold. Eyes grow dim and hands grow wrinkled.
Houses fall to dust, brick by brick." - Jesus. That's just beautiful. Incredibly beautiful. TRUTH and sad and not sad and mundane and miraculous, and said with such glorious attention to prose.

"Curls of white paint flaked and fell like snow." - This too. Beautiful.

And the end, all that hope that lost the people holding it together, so that only the boys and the ghosts and the rabbits remain.

Beautiful and touching eulogy for the house we never even got to meet but is so important because that's where it all started.
Eric'sSaucyLittleFae chapter 1 . 2/22/2013
I love anonymous narration. It gives the piece a slightly chilling and folklore-ish feel. It really works. Well done!
Little Miss Novella chapter 1 . 2/22/2013
Haunting!
RenaR chapter 1 . 2/22/2013
Nice...like a fine wine:)
JWAB chapter 1 . 2/22/2013
What resounds in this story is the notion of permanence. You hit us with it, subtly, right from the beginning, giving us directions not with street names but with things that your anonymous narrator just knows will be there, because they are permanent enough to depend on - the BP station, sure, but also the peanut seller.

I love the alternate explanations of ruin you suggest, because I know you've thought about it, and you're not alone. Beautifully rendered: "Or it was a field hospital during the War and all that pain wore away its soul..." That is incredible, and beyond being poetry, it underlines the connection you make between the building and a body. How both return to the soil. How they decay. "Eyes grow dim and hands grow wrinkled. Houses fall to dust, brick by brick." This is written with a literary degree of care and wisdom.

The books that still needed their pages cut - such an astute and sad encapsulation of POTENTIAL lost - really got to me. And then how you hint at the brothers coming back in the early days, and maybe ghosts, maybe something else... the cellar with shackles... the build up of mystery at the same time as the decay takes over. One shingle falls slightly. Generations of rabbit. And best of all, the curling-back metaphor that the ruins are a death trap.

Brava. Now hand me a kleenex because it's raining on my face.