Reviews for The Cost of Lamentations
randomnickname chapter 12 . 12/25/2016
Thank you for this fic, I enjoyed it from beginning to end (after all, it has the length of a full-fledged novel. Or maybe I just read slower in english?)
The idea behind the fic - sudden grief unravel Maka's life and brings Soul's madness to a stir - was great, felt genuine and true to canon, and had a lot of suspense and plot twists to keep one engaged. You have a great understanding of the Soul Eater universe and its characters, and you don't shy away from highlighting all of its aspects - hard training, gory missions, the threat of pain and imminent death always looming around everyone's life. I was happy to find a pic that stayed extremely close to canon without being to easy or boring.
I love how you depicted the main cast and their relationships, especially my favourite pairing TsuStar (I had to keep my fangirl giggling in check during all of their interactions). Special mention to Bad!Liz, love when her rogue side takes over :) And of course Maka and Soul - just perfect.
The angst was a bit heavy in some chapters, maybe some "stress release" from time to time would have been a nice thing.
It's a very long fic I've been reading for days, so I don't remember everything at the moment. There were a lot of scenes that stuck with me. I love how you used the "musical soul resonance" scheme for your own plot, and also how their resonance is a part of their everyday life, helps them to understand each other, and that you can send emotions through the link (I want to be able to do this too :( ).
Oh and still the last chapter is very vivid in my mind: Blair's return is so elegantly and deeply written, wow.

Alltogether excellent writing, had a great time, thank you so much.
randomnickname chapter 10 . 12/25/2016
After all the angst and the hurt this chapter really felt like a relieve. It's important to have that kind of break for the flow of the fic methinks :)
Maayou chapter 1 . 5/19/2016
Well, that was incredibly good. We could actually feel her pain, what she's going through. And your writing is really good, too. I know that this is an old story, but I'll enjoy reading it. :)
Sophietail chapter 12 . 7/5/2015
Absolutely fantastic! I loved this story just as much as I loved reading Dire Circus! You are an absolutely phenomenal author and I can't say just how much I love reading your work! :) The details you give are just the perfect amount, and I can never seem to stop reading until I finish! All the characters felt like they came directly from the anime/manga and the flow of the story was smooth and constantly kept me wanting to read more! :D You are definitely an amazingly skilled writer and I look forward to continue reading your work! :)
pr3tty0dd chapter 12 . 3/25/2014
One of the best SoMa fanfictions I have read. Not a lot of the other ones ive read have been very good but this one kept me reading. Its nice to find a really decent writer in the stack of some others here who definately are not as talented. Keep it up!
Tenbris chapter 12 . 12/13/2013
Whelp, I can die happy (and tired) now. Congratulations, it's 6am and I stayed up for hours (way, way too many hours) to read this wonderful piece of fic!

This may be my favorite Soul Eater fic out there; if not, it's definitely way up there. I can't praise your writing enough!

I could go on for ages about every little detail that I loved, but I do actually need some sleep! Rest assured I will be coming back to read this again some time. Great job!
Tenbris chapter 4 . 12/13/2013
Oh my-

I think I just died reading this. I melted into a puddle of goo and oh god I can't stop reading now. I didn't mean to end up leaving a trail of reviews but I probably will at this point and that's okay.

This might be my favorite SoMa confession scene ever. I just can't handle how perfect it is for that to happen as a result of them fighting... because seriously, they always are butting heads on some level, and it's just too perfect.

I love this story so much already. Wow.
Tenbris chapter 3 . 12/13/2013
So, I just found this fic and I am immediately going to tell all of my fellow Soul Eater friends to come read this. Holy crap.

I was planning on just dropping a review and a fave when I finished the story after I finished chapter 1, but as much as I would love to keep reading forever, it's 3:30am here and I need sleep. So, although this story has been long-complete, I felt like I had to let you know how amazing this is, and how much I adore this story so far. It's near-impossible to find good stories on FF (the site is saturated with poorly written things that are out of character), so when I find someone who has such wonderful command over words and character personalities, I have to let them know how thrilled I am.

I almost can't express how much I love this story. Soul Eater just lends itself to angst and putting the characters through the emotional wringer, and you write it so well. You capture Maka's trauma so well, Soul's reactions are so incredibly true and believable, and I can't find any sort of fault. This is just delightful.

I may tell myself I need to sleep, but I expect to read at least a few more chapters tonight. Great, great job.
Crystal Delphina chapter 12 . 12/7/2013
I just wanted to let you know that your story was one of the few I've come across in a long time where I couldn't put it down. Literally, I more or less stayed up through the night to read it. That's saying something for fanfiction. Aside from your impressive talent for writing, realistic character development, and vivid descriptions, there was a deep compelling psychological component to the writing that was truly authentic. I know that you obviously wrote this from your personal lived experience, but you were able to translate the deep level and complexity of grief in a way that was incredible when so many people struggle to articulate the true wash of emotions that one can experience with loss.

I know others may have believed your portrayal of Maka was being "rude/mean" or "uncharacteristic" but that's far from the truth. It was raw and real. I also have to say that you wrote Maka's panic attacks with such emotive and incredible clarity that it was one of the best depictions of a true panic attack that I've seen/read in a long time. I work in the mental healthcare field and I was blown away. Obviously, this review is getting lengthy, but I just want to reiterate that I applaud you not only for your writing, plot, and story construction, but for the authenticity you brought to it all. It was truly a compelling read and I was happy to lose a few hours of sleep last night for it.
Mirrorfaced chapter 2 . 10/21/2013
I must admit that upon reading the intitial summary, I was afraid that Spirit's death would only be a plot point. How you deal with it is so much more than that, and your prose communicates the emotions wonderfully. It reminds me of a written version of "The Body", an episode in the fifth season of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I won't get specific but needless to say it deals with death. It's a very raw and powerful work, as is this.

The perspective of Soul, being on the other side of their shared link, adds to this story immensely.
Professor Maka chapter 12 . 10/4/2013
This was good. It sort of ended in a different place than it began, but somehow, it works.
PurpleSoul1996 chapter 12 . 8/15/2013
Sooo! Let me tell you this!
I read some story before this, it was so bad, she rushed through the stupid thing!
I was so mad then I found this.
It made me feel so much better
The chapters are so long! OMG!
You didn't miss anything, surprise after another! Wow!
It was so good and cute
Dramatic!
Awesome!
ThatFlyingEagle chapter 12 . 7/21/2013
This was a super read. You really have some talent for writing great fluff right next to horrible sadness. I tried it but I can't get it just right. Good Story!
The-City-Burns chapter 12 . 7/9/2013
Love the ending :)
OtakusUnited chapter 1 . 7/6/2013
Amazing story! Heart wrenching, humorous, and romantic in all the right places. It looks like you can really put your feelings into a story. I definitely felt the passion in the story. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, though. I will eagerly await your next story! Keep up the good work!