Reviews for The Sails are Set
Levade chapter 1 . 10/31
Perfect! I thought of this the same way, as Bilbo loving this last adventure to a place none of his people had ever been. I love how vividly you describe the Grey Havens, a favorite place of mine. A very fine tribute to Bilbo!
Astaldowen chapter 1 . 8/16
This was so beautiful. I absolutely LOVE Bilbo, and I feel like you captured the essence of his character perfectly here. Nicely done!
shirebound chapter 1 . 7/20
l like experiencing this moment through Bilbo's POV. I enjoy your tales very much.
CatLady4 chapter 1 . 2/16
Makes me want to stand on the deck of ship with Bilbo and wave good-bye.
Pip the Dark Lord of All chapter 1 . 1/17
Beautiful little drabble, enjoyed it! :D
Deandra chapter 1 . 9/30/2013
This very much put me in mind of the scene in the movie where Bilbo gets a second wind, and announces that he thinks he's ready for another adventure as he boards the ship. Nice look inside him.

- Deandra
nosmaeth chapter 1 . 9/22/2013
lovely, lovely sweet metaphore of death, even if it was not meant to... I enjoyed this, I like how you described his resltess spirit- something I adore in him (and something Frodo utterly lacked)... Congratulations! :)
Chamelaucium chapter 1 . 7/29/2013
Oh this was beautiful! Truly wonderful! Bilbo is so in character and it's all so wonderfully portrayed. This was very well done! :)
DancingChestnut chapter 1 . 7/10/2013
This was really beautifully written! I loved how you described every detail so exquisitely that I could picture it in my mind's eye.

Also, I love the comparison between his younger, not-so-adventurous years, followed by his more adventurous years (the Hobbit, yay!) and Frodo's coming, etc etc. You managed to sum up his long life-story in a few sentences so perfectly. Kudos to you! I love this line: 'kindling a fire within him that would not abate'. It fits Bilbo so perfectly. :)

And the ending: so bittersweet, so poignant. I always felt sad when Bilbo was no longer going to have adventures of his own, that he was going to settle down and everything. This ending was no exception.

Short but sweet. I love it! :) Thank you for this :)
iiiionly chapter 1 . 6/14/2013
Indeed a lovely word picture of the Grey Havens. I love short little, powerful vignettes like this because I can read and savor and have time to think about how to say I loved it.

Bilbo's reawakening here is a thing of beauty; his quick - but not rushed - trip down memory lane a great walk for me as a reader too. That he finds in himself, a renewed spirit for this last great adventure made me smile too.

Great little story!

Aria Breuer chapter 1 . 6/7/2013
In this one short gap-filler, Bilbo sure recounts his life in Middle-earth. You did a fine job summarizing a lot of detail in not too many paragraphs, which I have a hard time doing.

Well done.

-Aria Breuer
Elfwine chapter 1 . 4/12/2013
I wanted to return the favor and review to this lovely take on old Bilbo. I always felt sad when there was no more left to read and no more left to watch, but I hardly ever thought about how Bilbo might be feeling. I like that you wrote an account of his life and the experiences that led him up to this point in the story. It makes me feel hopeful even.
LalaithElerrina chapter 1 . 3/8/2013
You kindly reviewed my story Watch Over My Sons, so I thought I would like to read some of your writing as well.

I liked this very much. I think your language was very Tolkienesque, which I like, and in my estimation, it very believably captured what Bilbo might have been feeling, waiting there at the harbor in Mithlond.
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 1 . 3/3/2013
This is great! I love the way you tell Bilbo's story in such a brief, poignant way; with the gorgeous backdrop you begin with, we get a reflective glimpse into Bilbo's memories as he ponders the life he's had. Ending it with his excitement to begin a new adventure is very fitting, as well! :)

Good work!
Maiden of the Heavens chapter 1 . 3/1/2013
I love all of the gap-fillers you write!